The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Swords N Thorns
Thank you! :biggrin:
So basically just that in meiosis 1, homologous chromosomes are separated into different cells and in meiosis 2, chromatids are separated by a further division into four cells each with a single chromatid?

For some reason, that seems too simple. :tongue:

Yep, more or less that :tongue:
Original post by lauraaaaa
Who feels like a complete thicko? Me! Good lord, my mock will go well tomorrow -.- thanks hahah

Posted from TSR Mobile

How'd the mock go?
Anyone got any good revision tips or ideas?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by liquid394
Yeah that's what I have been doing (prioritising unit5), EMPA revision is not helping aswell :/. I have pretty much only did abit of reading :frown:, last time what let my grade down was the fact I did no past papers because I had 7 exams :P

I know the feeling, this is my second year of 8 exams (though this time all my resits are Bs, simply for UMS boosting) and I've been revising for a month already ><
Ouch, I'm not brave enough to try it without past papers, they are my crutch haha! They also point out poor terminology, which AQA LOOOVVVEEE to punish you for getting wrong >:frown:, darm you cruel exam writers!!
Original post by fluffylovey
I know the feeling, this is my second year of 8 exams (though this time all my resits are Bs, simply for UMS boosting) and I've been revising for a month already ><
Ouch, I'm not brave enough to try it without past papers, they are my crutch haha! They also point out poor terminology, which AQA LOOOVVVEEE to punish you for getting wrong >:frown:, darm you cruel exam writers!!

haha, yeah the worse thing is revising for 3 eams Imo let alone your 8, I feel sorry for you :frown:, I have halted any chance of begginning revision on unit 2 due to the EMPA which will occupy majority of this month given me just may to revise unit 2 and my toher subjects :/. Have you done the unit 6X EMPA yet?
Reply 345
Original post by Scienceisgood
Yes, we double the chromosome number.
They will probably give you something not human though as that can be practised fairly easily.

They will probably say a fruit fly has 29 pairs of chromosomes, how many chromosomes does it have during anaphase?
So, really the 29 pairs would be simply "n" and during anaphase, it would be 2n. =)

Wouldn't it be n/2 chromosomes at anaphase ?
Just had my mock which was the jan 13 paper, pretty decent paper!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jimmy20002012
Just had my mock which was the jan 13 paper, pretty decent paper!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I just had it today ok, few bits that I definitely need to go over but I hadn't revised them prior to the mock so at least it has given me indications of what I need to work on.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
How far is everyone through the spec?
Reply 349
Do we need to know ventilation in fish? E.g. Inspiration and expiration? Our teacher taught us it, but i can't find it in the spec...
Original post by Jaydude
Do we need to know ventilation in fish? E.g. Inspiration and expiration? Our teacher taught us it, but i can't find it in the spec...

You need to know about gas exchange, i.e.;

Counter current
Constant supply of blood
Large surface area to volume ratio

They may ask something along the lines of something like this;

A species of salmon (Rainbow fish) exists in a single lake in the world and is isolated. There is nothing to cause waves and in order for the fish to survive, it must move through the water constantly or risk suffocation. Use your knowledge of gas exchange to explain why. (3 marks)

Oh yeah, Rainbow fish = something I made up. =P
Original post by Scienceisgood
How'd the mock go?

We didn't have it, it's next week :frown: haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is it correct that not all the chapters for unit 2 will come up in the exam? I've noticed in some exam papers, there are always a few topic that doesn't come up :s

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jaydude

I'm not sure there'll be a question directly asking about it,however it doesn't hurt to know it as it aids your understanding thus you can apply better when it comes to answering questions
For those of you that have done the stomata ISA, how did you find it? I just did mine, and I think I've failed it :frown: wasn't too happy with the starch and amylase ISA either :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sophie1994
Is it correct that not all the chapters for unit 2 will come up in the exam? I've noticed in some exam papers, there are always a few topic that doesn't come up :s

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's true,not every paper has a question on every topic :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by x-Sophie-x
For those of you that have done the stomata ISA, how did you find it? I just did mine, and I think I've failed it :frown: wasn't too happy with the starch and amylase ISA either :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm just about to do the stomata isa, any advice? :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kashagupta
I'm just about to do the stomata isa, any advice? :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ive done both the isas. I got a C in the stomata one and the other one my teacher isnt sure if its an A or B. The starch and amylase paper is much nicer in my opinion personally.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by x-Sophie-x
That's true,not every paper has a question on every topic :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not really, I've finished the past papers from jun09 to jan12 not everything comes up apart from the "must". Stuff like plants, transpiration, gas exchange in fish rarely comes up!
Could someone explain to me why pressure in the arteries fluctuate?

Latest

Trending

Trending