The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Nottingham choirs

I've firmed my offer from Nottingham and I'm just wondering about the choirs in Nottingham. I've heard that there's an auditioned choir called Viva Voce and some unauditioned ones. Does anyone know how competitive the auditions are for Viva Voce? I haven't done any grades, just been having singing lessons for about 6 months, will that matter?
Reply 1
Original post by chliara
I've firmed my offer from Nottingham and I'm just wondering about the choirs in Nottingham. I've heard that there's an auditioned choir called Viva Voce and some unauditioned ones. Does anyone know how competitive the auditions are for Viva Voce? I haven't done any grades, just been having singing lessons for about 6 months, will that matter?

I literally know nothing about choirs.

Viva Voce is part of Music Society (MusSoc). Details and contact info is on their website @ www.mussoc.org.uk. They're the best students to ask as they'll know what Vice Voce is like to audition for, and probably know a good number of other choirs about :smile:
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
I got a number of leaflets for choral scholarship opportunities at two Nottingham churches during my open day visit to the university. Not sure if these only apply to music students though.

There are a number of unauditioned and auditioned choirs - again at the open day I got a booklet called "A guide to musical life at the University of Nottingham". Maybe if you call the university they will send you a copy out.
Hi! I'm one of the choral scholar ambassadors at Nottingham and the choirs that we have are: Viva Voce (auditioned), Coro Sorelle (unauditioned girls' choir), Man Choir (unauditioned male choir) and the main University Choir (unauditioned).

Viva Voce can be quite competitive for sopranos, but there is no fixed standard as such. The singers do tend to be grade 8 or above, however, and some are choral scholars and/or sing with NYCGB. But it's more about your ability to sight-read, and how well you actually sing.

The girls' choir, male choir and the University Choir are all very welcoming, and the music that they do sing is of a high standard - Uni Choir did the Durufle Requiem last year and there's talk of doing Britten's War Requiem next year. So it's not at all bad if you don't get into Viva in your first year.

Choral scholarships are available at three churches in Nottingham: St Barnabas Cathedral, St Mary's and St Peter's. They are paid, and have various perks for each one, but check out the websites for the churches for more info. You don't have to be a music student to have a scholarship though!

Hope that clears up everything!
Reply 4
Further information about the three church choirs that Sophie mentioned can be found here. Each choir is quite different, so it's just a case of working out what you want!

St Barnabas RC Cathedral, Derby Road
http://www.stbarnabascathedral.org.uk/

St Mary's Church, High Pavement (CofE)
http://stmaryschoirnottingham.com/choral-scholarships.html

St Peter's Church (city centre, next to M&S) (CofE)
http://www.nottinghamchurches.org/stpeterschoir#joining

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending