The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Life at Warwick?

Okay so I've gotten to that point in my UCAS application where I can no longer ignore the fact that I have to firm a choice, and put a choice as my insurance. My problem is, I can't choose! Yes, a common problem and I'm sure you've heard it all before - but I need help!

Okay so i'm an international, english-speaking student who plans to study French and German studies. I have met every single condition for Warwick already and therefore it's a really good idea to firm Warwick. I know about it's amazing reputation and education level and so on.. My worry: the LIFE factor at Warwick.

If you don't know what I mean by life, I mean aesthetic appeal, social life and boredom factor. Aesthetic appeal = I think the english countryside is beautiful but to be honest I've never been to Warwick and apparently it's not that pretty/nice to live in? Please can someone shed some light on this?

Social life - am I going to die of boredom?? My other option is King's College London and naturally London is going to have a lot to offer in the entertainment/social-life dynamic... I just don't want to get that feeling where I'm boxed in to this little place with nothing to do. (yes I plan to study obviously, but I want a life too)!

I realise how amazing Warwick is, but I also don't want to choose a university where I'm going to be unhappy going to...

Please help me guys! And thank you SO much in advance :smile::smile:

Oh and please don't get offended by anything I say - As I've said, I've never been to Warwick and I am uninformed about certain aspects of life there... Hence my need for your help!
Reply 1
Original post by racheedav

If you don't know what I mean by life, I mean aesthetic appeal, social life and boredom factor. Aesthetic appeal = I think the english countryside is beautiful but to be honest I've never been to Warwick and apparently it's not that pretty/nice to live in? Please can someone shed some light on this?

Warwick University itself is generally a very pretty place. There's green areas around every accommodation block (but even more so over by Lakeside). Lakeside has it's own pond with geese and ducks, and is surrounded by farmland. Tocil Wood (behind Bluebell and Rootes) is, as you can guess from the name, a wooded area that you're free to explore. This also has two lakes with lots of ducks and birds. On the way to Westwood, around Millburn and University House is also a very nice, peaceful area. Nowhere but library road is completely concrete, so if you like greenery, you will not go amiss here, whereas you will at KCL (as it's the middle of London).

Building architecture does vary, I grant you that. Library road is a bit ugly - after all, it's 60's concrete architecture. However, the new maths buildings and the new accommodation are more modern and up to date and generally look a bit fancier. However, there's never a problem inside the buildings (where it actually matters).

As for the surrounding areas, it varies. Coventry's a bit of a dump in places, but it is a city. London's very much a dump in some places! However, head in the other direction and you hit a load of farmland and the Kenilworth, which is truly a stunning town. Further on from that is Leamington, which is also a very nice place, with various parklands about. South Leamington not so much as nice as the north, but it's not unbearable.

Whereas Warwick isn't exactly situated on a farm, there's plenty of green space around, and it certainly isn't just an ugly, concrete place!

Social life - am I going to die of boredom?? My other option is King's College London and naturally London is going to have a lot to offer in the entertainment/social-life dynamic... I just don't want to get that feeling where I'm boxed in to this little place with nothing to do. (yes I plan to study obviously, but I want a life too)!

This depends on you. If you WANT it to be dynamic, then it is! If you go in with the mindset that it won't be dynamic, then I can guarantee you it won't. I would strongly suggest against this place (or any place!) if you have a defeatist attitude.

Yes, the SU may lack variety, but there're several clubs and bars/pubs in Coventry and Leamington which is only a short bus ride away! You have the Arts Centre for added, different entertainment (like Comedy and plays) as well as the most societies and sports clubs of any university in the country, a sports centre with a gym, badminton courts, tennis courts AND a rock climbing wall, two cinemas, two pubs on campus... the list goes on. You think of it, we probably have it. If you're bored here, you're doing something wrong.

If you feel boxed in, then jump on a bus. If you still feel boxed in, jump on a train. They go directly to Birmingham or London. The world's your oyster!

London may have the natural 'buzz' of a busy place, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's interesting. Warwick is a different kind of social atmosphere. It may not be 'buzzing' so much, but there's far more than enough to do.
(edited 11 years ago)
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
I think Nirgilis has said it all :smile:

Warwick's great, I doubt many people would regret coming here. Don't forget expense as well - it's probably a lot cheaper to love here than in London

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending