The Student Room Group

AQA AS Eng Lit B May 2013 exam - The Great Gatsby

Which chapter of The Great Gatsby do you think is most likely to come up?
Also, which aspect of narrative do you think they will ask about in section B?
6 is the only chapter that hasn't been used yet, so it's a chance it's going to be 6 but it may not be.
I think it's unlikely for 2 or 7 but the rest have a chance to be put in there - they like go re-use chapters to annoy us.
No idea for section B. There's a range of questions it could be so I don't think you can pin-point it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Hi I know this is a little off topic but can someone please help me.
I don't understand what is meant by shape the meaning, everyone tells me to do it in an essay but exactly is it!!
I would really appreciate some help.
Thanks
Original post by nyrhtak
Hi I know this is a little off topic but can someone please help me.
I don't understand what is meant by shape the meaning, everyone tells me to do it in an essay but exactly is it!!
I would really appreciate some help.
Thanks

Hello,
When people say 'shape meanings' that mean: how does this make us view a certain thing in a certain way?
So, as an example: how does a novel with a first person narrative shape our view of events? So you could say: the first person narrative shapes the meaning of the novel because through this narrator we feel this certain way/see this certain thing which then makes us view this character/event in this way.
Does this make sense?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
That makes sooooo much sense thanks,
just to clarify though could I say that for example
'the use of religious imagery shapes the meaning of the novel because through this we see the Patriot as a good and pure figure which causes us to reconsider our opinion of the severity and nature of his crime in comparison to his punishment.'
Its about the Patriot by Robert Browning don't worry if your not studying it, just does the use of 'shape the meaning' make sense??
thanks
Original post by nyrhtak
That makes sooooo much sense thanks,
just to clarify though could I say that for example
'the use of religious imagery shapes the meaning of the novel because through this we see the Patriot as a good and pure figure which causes us to reconsider our opinion of the severity and nature of his crime in comparison to his punishment.'
Its about the Patriot by Robert Browning don't worry if your not studying it, just does the use of 'shape the meaning' make sense??
thanks

It's not a novel, it's a poem - I always say the opposite by mistake too!
I think that's spot on, well done. I also really like your analysis.
Reply 6
Original post by KirstBarlow
It's not a novel, it's a poem - I always say the opposite by mistake too!
I think that's spot on, well done. I also really like your analysis.

Haha thanks i'm always doing that! thankyou so much for your help
Original post by nyrhtak
Haha thanks i'm always doing that! thankyou so much for your help

That's okay. If you need any help I am very happy to help. Good luck with your exam!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending