The Student Room Group

TSR Entrepreneurs Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by MrLuketastic
:holmes:

Yeah, I need to play around with the design a bit, so will look into that. The ads are with partners. So with the watch company, they've given us £300 worth of watches; we do competitions and link ups with the merchandise company; the #F1POTD one promotes our work. I'm certainly looking into making them more profitable though.

Is there a "right way" to attract potential advertisers? And is there a "going rate"? Any advice would be appreciated!

There isn't really a "going rate", as big companies like TSR will run their own, targeted advertising campaigns and media packs whereas smaller ones will simply have to rely on affiliate marketing. I wouldn't recommend Google Ads or any of those ad networks unless you're getting over 10,000 views a month. (Even then, you wouldn't be earning a lot)

Given the type of site you're hosting, I would say that advertising would be your best option. Perhaps you can contact the marketing departments of companies directly? It doesn't hurt to just drop them an email quoting the number of impressions your site gets and the type of visitors you attract.

Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
This is so true! :h:

The hardest part is definitely the changover from preparation to going out there and seeing if it actually takes off. It's just a fear of failure, and it's the same reason we don't chat up everyone we want to.

I do consultancy, and I have to literally cold approach people in their businesses seeing as I'm so young and working alone. Rejections are useful, you learn something every time, and after 10 rejections you're guaranteed to get your first piece of work if you've got something good. I think I got turned down at my first 7 places and nearly didn't even go into the 8th - which is where it all took off from.

Anyway this is a fun idea for a society and will subscribe. I've been self earning for a while now but it's actually starting to wear thin for me, too sporadic in the current state of things and a stable work place would actually be quite nice. I just can't handle getting paid so low if I did go back into part time work :lol:

Thats the thing. I think I've got a few really good ideas but I am simply way too inexperienced to take them on. I want to get out there and get the experience, connections, mentors that I need to get my project to take off, but at the same time, I don't want to risk it on my first ever startup. Got to take the leap sometime but I'm not sure I'm ready yet. :sad:

What kind of businesses do you consult for?

Original post by dgeorge
Good idea, joining this!

Welcome! Glad to see this thread is starting to pick up! :hi:
Original post by Vulpes

What kind of businesses do you consult for?

I do barista training and consultancy for really cheap. Usually that extends into general customer service training and I also do hygiene certificates training. I started it to fund my own coffee machine, and I got that a while ago and kept going. I've consulted for over 30 places now, some of them really prestigious :h:

I lack the time to upgrade to a proper functioning business so it remains pretty hobbyish to be honest, but gives me pocket money.
I'm glad i'm not the only one struggling with that switch over stage from planning to actually doing it!

I'm going back to an idea I had a while ago. It was to set up a simple leaflet distribution company using self employed distributors and GPS tracking. There is only one leaflet distributor around here and they are a franchise. I think there is a market for it here, but i'm starting a full time job in just over a month, so I will need it to run on it's on whilst i'm not here...
Seems like the thread is picking up a bit :smile:

Original post by MrLuketastic
Unsure if this goes down as being an "entrepreneur", but was wondering if anyone could give me some advice?

I have a website (www.richlandf1.com) which has been going for just over one year now. It's been doing well, good stats and achieving some good feats. However, I was wondering if any of you have any advice about making money from websites and web-based ventures?

I agree with Vulpes when he says that some of the layout is a bit dodgy but having had a brief look at things, a lot of the content is very good, particularly some very insightful stuff in the ebook, having had a quick look at it. Like the interviews at the back, especially the one with the fitness trainer. That's the kind of thing the F1 nerd is going to lap up. On a personal level I have to commend you on the article about Kubica. He's one of my favourite drivers ever.

1690 followers on Twitter is a decent following for a site like yours after only a year. There must be a lot of websites similar to yours out there, so I'd say it's going in the right direction. I'd maybe consider in the future, if you start to get more visitors, going to a freemium model, where the content on the site is free to see but you're charging a little for the ebook. It's all about providing top quality content if you're going to do that though to the point where these people see you as one of their go to sites for anything to do with F1. If that's the case they are much more likely to pay for something. Since you say you run competitions you could, perhaps, have it so that anyone who purchases the ebook is entered into a competition.

Edit: 1691 followers now :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Almost 11 thousand followers on Twitter since Dec, almost 9000 since jan on a different account. Almost 2000 since march on another. 600ish on another in about 3 weeks. I'm quite good at this Twitter lark, targeted followers, too.

Edit: oh and I've guided my sister on her account, she has 3700 since mid feb.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 45
Original post by commandant
Almost 11 thousand followers on Twitter since Dec, almost 9000 since jan on a different account. Almost 2000 since march on another. 600ish on another in about 3 weeks. I'm quite good at this Twitter lark, targeted followers, too.

How did you end up doing that?

Edit: This is for everyone. But for someone with a limited knowledge (or perhaps none), where would you recommend a good starting place? Whether it would be books or anything else...
(edited 11 years ago)

Original post by S-man10

Edit: This is for everyone. But for someone with a limited knowledge (or perhaps none), where would you recommend a good starting place? Whether it would be books or anything else...

Yeah, I could do with some tips too :wink:
Original post by TheMagicRat
Seems like the thread is picking up a bit :smile:

I agree with Vulpes when he says that some of the layout is a bit dodgy but having had a brief look at things, a lot of the content is very good, particularly some very insightful stuff in the ebook, having had a quick look at it. Like the interviews at the back, especially the one with the fitness trainer. That's the kind of thing the F1 nerd is going to lap up. On a personal level I have to commend you on the article about Kubica. He's one of my favourite drivers ever.

1690 followers on Twitter is a decent following for a site like yours after only a year. There must be a lot of websites similar to yours out there, so I'd say it's going in the right direction. I'd maybe consider in the future, if you start to get more visitors, going to a freemium model, where the content on the site is free to see but you're charging a little for the ebook. It's all about providing top quality content if you're going to do that though to the point where these people see you as one of their go to sites for anything to do with F1. If that's the case they are much more likely to pay for something. Since you say you run competitions you could, perhaps, have it so that anyone who purchases the ebook is entered into a competition.

Edit: 1691 followers now :smile:

Cheers for the comments, glad you like the site. Yeah, working on the layout, hopefully going to sort that soon, or pay for some web design (haven't been able to previously, all done on my very limited knowledge).

There are tons of similar sites out there, but we're rising above many of them. We've been FIA accredited for the opening three races of the season (usually only given to sites over 3 years old), which many sites would give a lot for. It's going the right way, but the freemium idea is a good one. All about the content I guess! Thanks for the follow also!
Reply 48
Just made this to track the progress of H7N9. What do you guys think? http://news.ivulpes.com/h7n9/ :h:
Original post by Vulpes
Just made this to track the progress of H7N9. What do you guys think? http://news.ivulpes.com/h7n9/ :h:

It's very neat. I like it. I was expecting a map of where cases were though.
Reply 50

Working on it. The tricky bit is making everything automated. Like right now, if I add a news article through the database, all the data updates accordingly. Harder to do with maps. :holmes:
Reply 51

Added. :tongue:

Whatsup guys? :hi:
Reply 52
Original post by CameronLee
Well it's not really as business as such - I'm trading currencies. However I have spotted a gap in the market for beginners to learn to trade, and hope to develop a mobile / ipad app to help people.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good luck lol but you will loose your money. The retail brokers will trade against you. They don't even put half the trades through. Better off becoming an introducing broker yo
Reply 53
Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
x

:zomg: You're a mod now! Congratulations! :h:
Original post by Vulpes
:zomg: You're a mod now! Congratulations! :h:

lol thanks! :woo:
Original post by Runninground

Original post by S-man10

Yeah, I could do with some tips too :wink:

Still waiting... :biggrin::colondollar:
Sorry!

Don't need to go into detail as it really is quite simple - when you follow users, an average of around a third will follow you back. Using this, follow users who match your target audience whether it be through interests, location, age, competitor companies. You can do this on quite a large scale with various twitter applications, just don't be stupid and follow thousands. It's perfectly fine if you're not being 'spammy'. Use a similar application to send each new follower a direct message. Use similar application to unfollow users who don't follow you back - getting rid of 'dead' weight so to speak.

Highly effective
Original post by Vulpes
Added. :tongue:

Whatsup guys? :hi:

Yes, much better. In fact, I love it. There can't be many sites out there that are better than that. It's clear and easy on the eye with a good little summary of the disease, as well as where to go for further information. And the map, God, I'm loving the map :smile:
Reply 58
Yes, much better. In fact, I love it. There can't be many sites out there that are better than that. It's clear and easy on the eye with a good little summary of the disease, as well as where to go for further information. And the map, God, I'm loving the map :smile:

In that case, a little share/RT would be nice. :teehee:

Haha. Thank you. It is the only one of its kind out there right now. Hoping to make even more improvements over the next few days. Adding information on influenza, etc too. Also reading up some tutorials on generating images in PHP. Could possibly make a sharable, auto-updating infographic (such as my twitter status in my TSR signature) :h:
Original post by Vulpes
In that case, a little share/RT would be nice. :teehee:

Haha. Thank you. It is the only one of its kind out there right now. Hoping to make even more improvements over the next few days. Adding information on influenza, etc too. Also reading up some tutorials on generating images in PHP. Could possibly make a sharable, auto-updating infographic (such as my twitter status in my TSR signature) :h:

Just tweeted about it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending