The Student Room Group

Part-time jobs at 16 help!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by liveyourlife197
so.... I should say ask someone to cover?

normally you would ask your manager/boss and very politely ask if someone could cover your shift. If someone does, then its fine. If someone doesn't, then you've got to make your mind up about whether whatever you are doing is worthwhile missing work for. For example, if its something really important to you/your family then go, but if its just a party or get together, maybe its better to be at work. But its upto you.
so.... I should say ask someone to cover?

Do you have a contract? - If so, you should probably read what it says, they might be allowed to change your hours at their discretion.

Don't be nasty about whatever you say. Politely say no, don't rage at him/her!
Original post by s24a
normally you would ask your manager/boss and very politely ask if someone could cover your shift. If someone does, then its fine. If someone doesn't, then you've got to make your mind up about whether whatever you are doing is worthwhile missing work for. For example, if its something really important to you/your family then go, but if its just a party or get together, maybe its better to be at work. But its upto you.

brilliant, thanks!
Original post by Flying Pig
Do you have a contract? - If so, you should probably read what it says, they might be allowed to change your hours at their discretion.

Don't be nasty about whatever you say. Politely say no, don't rage at him/her!

Okay, thanks for that, done with that section, yay :biggrin:
Just keep applying online and physically go into stores and hand in your CV to the manager/boss.
I work at Sports Direct and I never had any retail experience before taking the job, but they still took me on :smile:!
Reply 25
Not sure if its been said already but don't just apply to obvious places. Try applying to independent shops/cafes/restaurants. Big chains such as Waitrose and Greggs get loads of applicants whereas small local businesses usually get very few and are more likely to be flexible with their requirements. I got a job in a local cafe without even having to show anyone my CV or have an interview, whereas to get a job at Sainsbury's I'd have had to fill in a proper application form and go for an interview etc. Not saying you will have the exact same experience, but it's something to keep in mind
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by ohhello92x
Just keep applying online and physically go into stores and hand in your CV to the manager/boss.
I work at Sports Direct and I never had any retail experience before taking the job, but they still took me on :smile:!

okay, im gunna try handing in CV's to stores tomorrow, sports direct is my first start:smile: thanks
Original post by crc290
Not sure if its been said already but don't just apply to obvious places. Try applying to independent shops/cafes/restaurants. Big chains such as Waitrose and Greggs get loads of applicants whereas small local businesses usually get very few and are more likely to be flexible with their requirements. I got a job in a local cafe without even having to show anyone my CV or have an interview, whereas to get a job at Sainsbury's I'd have had to fill in a proper application form and go for an interview etc. Not saying you will have the exact same experience, but it's something to keep in mind

okay, thanks!!
Reply 28
Watch the Sainsburys/Marks and Spencers online job sites for anything suitable- they don't age discriminate and as long as you pass the online assessment you automatically get invited to an interview.

They only allow two/three people to interview for each job role, so less competition. You've just basically got to become a stalker on their sites everyday for jobs though, lol.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
okay, im gunna try handing in CV's to stores tomorrow, sports direct is my first start:smile: thanks

Okie doke :smile: Good luck :biggrin:! But be warned SD may not contact you until their recruiting at the store where you live, but if they are recruiting like now then they will obviously contact you :smile:!
Reply 30
What about McDonald's! I've worked there and it's not that bad and the hours are quite good! I worked about 5-6 hours on Saturdays and some Sundays!
Reply 31
I'm 17 and have been working at Wetherspoons for 8 months, obviously you're not allowed behind the bar but can be a floor or kitchen assosciate - they are a really great company to work for

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Alarae
Watch the Sainsburys/Marks and Spencers online job sites for anything suitable- they don't age discriminate and as long as you pass the online assessment you automatically get invited to an interview.

They only allow two/three people to interview for each job role, so less competition. You've just basically got to become a stalker on their sites everyday for jobs though, lol.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Thanks that's great advice!:smile:
I wanted a summer job for this year but I'm only 15 and I turn 16 on the 29th August
Are you really looking? In my experience, a lot of people say they are looking and desperate for a job when they just lob out a few CVs a week. However, if you are really looking & getting no luck, then all I can suggest is persistence & patience.

A problem I encountered was that I got turned away for not having any experience. Which defeats the point of getting a part time job...at last I finally made a break through.
Original post by Flying Pig
Hi, when you are employed you should have a contract.

Your contract will state your working hours, unless you and you employer have agreed otherwise. Contracted hours cannot just be changed by your employer without your permission by law. If a colleague is ill and you are asked to cover, you can accept or decline the invitation.

'contracted hours' refers to a number of working hours which your employer guarantees for you to work ( discountign leave )

very few jobs have solidly fixed working hours
Original post by Kilroy8
Are you really looking? In my experience, a lot of people say they are looking and desperate for a job when they just lob out a few CVs a week. However, if you are really looking & getting no luck, then all I can suggest is persistence & patience.

A problem I encountered was that I got turned away for not having any experience. Which defeats the point of getting a part time job...at last I finally made a break through.

that is exactly my problem!
I think they just say they turn you down for not enough experience as an easy way of saying you didn't get a job. Most people that apply for those positions don't have experience. At interview you also need to demonstrate you have had experience that relates to the role i.e team work, communication etc. It's just a numbers game, keep applying and you'll get one.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending