The Student Room Group

People hijacking the Boston bombings to push their own agenda

Sick of seeing puerile and facile arguments about the Western media covering bombings in the Middle East to a lesser extent or civillian casualties from American bombings.

These are seperate issues which are unrelated to the Boston bombings. If you are so bothered about them, why not make a seperate thread highlighting them?

Your feigned moral disclaimers of 'I am so saddened by the horrible Boston bombings, BUT...' are also so transparent.

Scroll to see replies

Because certain people don't like the west so they pretend to show hypocritical reporting in the western media and try to downgrade the incident and demean the victims in the process, i agree it is incredibly transparent.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by HouseLannister
Sick of seeing puerile and facile arguments about the Western media covering bombings in the Middle East to a lesser extent or civillian casualties from American bombings.

These are seperate issues which are unrelated to the Boston bombings. If you are so bothered about them, why not make a seperate thread highlighting them?

Your feigned moral disclaimers of 'I am so saddened by the horrible Boston bombings, BUT...' are also so transparent.

I have made a seperate thread on these things, but because it was not western white people who were killed people do not care. For example, the Earthquake today in the Middle East happened at 10 this morning, however a thread on it has only just been bothered to set up now at 7:50. This earthquake has killed 10 times as many people as the bombing in Boston, yet nobody on TSR has bothered reporting it. This suggests racism since the media is far more bothered about the deaths of white people, than the deaths of non white people, and gives priority over it in terms of coverage. Both events are truly terrible, but it is important to raise up and expose racist attitudes, wherever they occur.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by the mezzil
I have made a seperate thread on these things, but because it was not western white people who were killed people do not care.

How do you know people 'do not care'? Is a requirement of caring about something articulating it, or can you not feel it? If so, how are you qualified to speak for people's feelings?

For example, the Earthquake today in the Middle East happened at 10 this morning, however a thread on it has only just been bothered to set up now at 7:50. This earthquake has killed 10 times as many people as the bombing in Boston, yet nobody on TSR has bothered reporting it.

Terrorism provokes far more of a reaction and debate than a natural disaster. The Boston bombing is shocking, unresolved and has raised the terror threat - this is why there are pages of discussion and speculation on TSR. A thread about the earthquake in the Middle East would only garner sympathetic comments which people can feel inside without having to articulate. There is more discussion on the Boston bombing because, by its very nature, it provokes debate and speculation.

This suggests racism since the media is far more bothered about the deaths of white people, than the deaths of non white people, and gives priority over it in terms of coverage. Both events are truly terrible, but it is important to raise up and expose racist attitudes, wherever they occur.

A nonsense strawman argument which is dropping the race card at the same time.

The Western media is providing more coverage to the Boston bombing because: 1) it is completely out-of-the-ordinary which therefore makes it newsworthy, 2) the US shares cultural and political ties with other Western countries which naturally makes the Western media have a greater interest, 3) a terrorist attack on US soil has strong implications for Western countries because of an increased terror threat and the fact that many Western countries are members of NATO.

How do you know it was only white people who died or were injured in the explosions?
Reply 4
Original post by HouseLannister
How do you know people 'do not care'? Is a requirement of caring about something articulating it, or can you not feel it? If so, how are you qualified to speak for people's feelings?

Terrorism provokes far more of a reaction and debate than a natural disaster. The Boston bombing is shocking, unresolved and has raised the terror threat - this is why there are pages of discussion and speculation on TSR. A thread about the earthquake in the Middle East would only garner sympathetic comments which people can feel inside without having to articulate. There is more discussion on the Boston bombing because, by its very nature, it provokes debate and speculation.

A nonsense strawman argument which is dropping the race card at the same time.

The Western media is providing more coverage to the Boston bombing because: 1) it is completely out-of-the-ordinary which therefore makes it newsworthy, 2) the US shares cultural and political ties with other Western countries which naturally makes the Western media have a greater interest, 3) a terrorist attack on US soil has strong implications for Western countries because of an increased terror threat and the fact that many Western countries are members of NATO.

How do you know it was only white people who died or were injured in the explosions?

Racism (unconsciously) because people do not care, if they did there would of been a thread about it earlier would there not? And i'm not bothered about the debates around it, that is not my point or anything near what I'm trying to get you to see. The very fact that western media has given little coverage to it, along with the fact that a thread has only just been started, 12 hours after the incident suggests unconscious racism. Whether or not there is anything to discuss is irrelevent, the fact that it has only just made the news section and a thread started suggests unconscious racism.

Do you understand my point?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Racism (unconsciously) because people do not care, if they did there would of been a thread about it earlier would there not? And i'm not bothered about the debates around it, that is not my point or anything near what I'm trying to get you to see. The very fact that western media has given little coverage to it, along with the fact that a thread has only just been started, 12 hours after the incident suggests unconscious racism. Whether or not there is anything to discuss is irrelevent, the fact that it has only just made the news section and a thread started suggests unconscious racism.

Do you understand my point?

You use a thread on TSR to back up your point, if your complaining about the news coverage then talk about that.

The bombings were around (9pm yesterday?) most people would have been online at the time, there would have been lots of threads made about it.
I only found out because I saw the title whilst finishing coursework.

I found out about the earthquake around midday (I think) using the sky news app, who would be online on tsr at 10am to make a thread about an earthquake in Iraq?

Just because people aren't posting about it doesn't mean they're racist.

If I had found out about the Boston bombings early enough I would have made a thread, would I have done the same for the earthquake? No.
I'm not a racist, I'm a British Asian and Muslim. Yes 10x the amount of people dying is sad, but a bomb is something extraordinary, happening in the United states, it's an event that can affect us all, it's a presumed act of terrorism - not a natural disaster.
Reply 6
Original post by R1C3W1N3
You use a thread on TSR to back up your point, if your complaining about the news coverage then talk about that.I am?

The bombings were around (9pm yesterday?) most people would have been online at the time, there would have been lots of threads made about it.
I only found out because I saw the title whilst finishing coursework.

I found out about the earthquake around midday (I think) using the sky news app, who would be online on tsr at 10am to make a thread about an earthquake in Iraq?Enough people, it doesn't go dead in the morning

Just because people aren't posting about it doesn't mean they're racist.No, of course not that is not what I am saying

If I had found out about the Boston bombings early enough I would have made a thread, would I have done the same for the earthquake? No.Why?
I'm not a racist, I'm a British Asian and Muslim.Doesn't mean anything, that doesn't prove you are not racist (not saying you are) I wouldn't say "I am white, therefore I am not racist" Yes 10x the amount of people dying is sad, but a bomb is something extraordinary, happening in the United states, it's an event that can affect us all, it's a presumed act of terrorism - not a natural disaster.This is not what I am getting at, but true none the less

Reply 7
Racism (unconsciously) because people do not care, if they did there would of been a thread about it earlier would there not?

Why didn't you make an earlier thread?
Reply 8
Original post by TenOfThem

I wasn't online.
Reply 9

Less than 9pm, less chance of a thread being created?

Like I said, It was a natural disaster, as sad as it is... A bomb has just gone off on US soil, with all the tension with North Korea, the previous attacks from the Taliban etc. .. It could result in retaliation, more attacks or even war.

It was presumed to be a terrorist attack so people will be posting about how they feel, their opinions, speculating about the people, motives and so on.

What will people do on a thread about an earthquake? They will pay their respects maybe?

True, what I meant was... People might think my views were Racist because I might have been a non Muslim.

Just because people aren't posting about it doesn't mean they're racist.No, of course not that is not what I am saying

You said yourself that "12 hours after the incident suggests unconscious racism"

And like I said just because people were not posting about does not mean they are racist.
Reply 10

I wasn't online.

Maybe the people who would've made he thread were also offline... at 10am
Less than 9pm, less chance of a thread being created?

Like I said, It was a natural disaster, as sad as it is... A bomb has just gone off on US soil, with all the tension with North Korea, the previous attacks from the Taliban etc. .. It could result in retaliation, more attacks or even war.

It was presumed to be a terrorist attack so people will be posting about how they feel, their opinions, speculating about the people, motives and so on.

What will people do on a thread about an earthquake? They will pay their respects maybe?

True, what I meant was... People might think my views were Racist because I might have been a non Muslim.

You said yourself that "12 hours after the incident suggests unconscious racism"

And like I said just because people were not posting about does not mean they are racist.

I was pointing out the fact that Boston was pretty much thread written as soon as the bombs went off, the earthquakes... 12 hours. I'm pretty sure people were online in those 12 hours. Again, it is not about the content of the thread, it is about the fact that thread was not done sooner on the news section. I mean that is what the news section is for right?
Maybe the people who would've made he thread were also offline... at 10am

All of them? Out of the million odd members of TSR, not one was online between 10 and 7/8? You sure?
Its not that people don't care about the loss of life here. Its just that the massive media attention shown to the civilian casualties here, highlights the fact that there is next to no media attention shown to the civilian casualties, in the middle east and Afghan and Pakistan.
The number of civilians killed by the bombings in Boston, pales in comparison to the number of civilians killed by drones in the above countries and yet we literally hear next to nothing about them from the mainstream media. It highlights that the media values Western lives much more then the lives of people from Muslim countries.
I don't like those individuals who point out the "hijack Boston bombings to push their own agenda people". Nor do I like those individuals who point out those who point out the people who hijack the Boston bombings to push their own agenda people.
This world is messed up. Let's just leave it at that.
Reply 16
I was pointing out the fact that Boston was pretty much thread written as soon as the bombs went off, the earthquakes... 12 hours. I'm pretty sure people were online in those 12 hours. Again, it is not about the content of the thread, it is about the fact that thread was not done sooner on the news section. I mean that is what the news section is for right?

Okay what would you expect from the thread, what would you write in the thread?

"How sad, RIP" "Terrible, thoughts and prayers with the family" etc. What else can you write?

Okay fair enough, but this is a website for forums, it's not like the news where they "have to" broadcast news... and I haven't seen anything on TV about the quake, what you say about the NEWS may be correct, in that I haven't heard anything on TV, I found out checking the app, your argument should be why news channels are not showing more of the coverage on the quake?
I wasn't online.

As would be the case with many people :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by g_star_raw_1989
I don't like those individuals who point out the "hijack Boston bombings to push their own agenda people". Nor do I like those individuals who point out those who point out the people who hijack the Boston bombings to push their own agenda people.

And I don't like the people pointing out the people, who are pointing out the people about people who hijack the Boston bombings to push their own agenda people. People.
Reply 19
As would be the case with many people :smile:

Can't +1
That's what I'm trying to say...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending