The Student Room Group
Frenchay Campus, Bristol University of the West of England
University of the West of England, Bristol
Bristol
Visit website

University of West England Bristol

Hello guys..seeing that am new here and am applying for social work in UWE. Can anyone tell me what its like to live in uwe and if their accomodation is good? are the student there cool? Were would you suggest i should live? Thanks! Really nervious hah
Reply 1
Is your course based at Glenside? If so, I would probably recommend the Student Village. Glenside accommodation can be a bit dull from what I've heard. Only downside is getting a bus there every morning, but it only takes 10 minutes on the bus and you get a bus pass included in your accommodation costs. Two of my best friends catch the bus to St Matts everyday from Student Village and they've never really complained about.

The UWE accommodation is nice, the kitchens and living room are quite big. The rooms themselves are big too. I think it's much nicer than some accommodation I've seen at other Uni's. However you are paying a fair bit for it, whereas Glenside accommodation is much cheaper. You could live in Carroll Court instead, which is the houses. They're smaller and you have to share a bathroom, but they're a grand cheaper.
Frenchay Campus, Bristol University of the West of England
University of the West of England, Bristol
Bristol
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Jodianne
Is your course based at Glenside? If so, I would probably recommend the Student Village. Glenside accommodation can be a bit dull from what I've heard. Only downside is getting a bus there every morning, but it only takes 10 minutes on the bus and you get a bus pass included in your accommodation costs. Two of my best friends catch the bus to St Matts everyday from Student Village and they've never really complained about.

The UWE accommodation is nice, the kitchens and living room are quite big. The rooms themselves are big too. I think it's much nicer than some accommodation I've seen at other Uni's. However you are paying a fair bit for it, whereas Glenside accommodation is much cheaper. You could live in Carroll Court instead, which is the houses. They're smaller and you have to share a bathroom, but they're a grand cheaper.

Yes my course is based on glenside campus but now am wondering if it will be too far to town and all that stuff. Student village is quite expensive considering that i will be giving just 9 grand a year. what about the hollies? Are you a uwe student?
Reply 3
Original post by Remboy
Yes my course is based on glenside campus but now am wondering if it will be too far to town and all that stuff. Student village is quite expensive considering that i will be giving just 9 grand a year. what about the hollies? Are you a uwe student?

In reality you're only like 10 minutes from town, bus takes about half hour. Taxis about are £3 between 6 people. The 9 grand is for tuition fees? You get a maintenance loan on top of that. From what I've heard the Hollies isn't too bad, especially if you're at Glenside. However it's not that lively.
Reply 4
oh i see, yeah the 9 grand is for tuition fee i suppose.. how much is a maintenance loan? cos i didnt see anything like that on their website? Ah i want somewhere lively though but not too expensive.. which will you prefer, glenside or hollie? and are you a student there now?
Reply 5
Maintenance loan is means tested, so the amount varies from person to person. You're best googling it and look at the direct gov website in regards to that. I'd probably prefer the Hollies. Yeah I'm a student here now, living in the Student Village. You could go for Carroll Court which is a grand cheaper than Student Village.
Google for "student finance calculator" and the info will come up, which is all means tested. Depending on your household income, you may also get a bursary, details of which can be found on UWE's website.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending