The Student Room Group

How to get rid of VERY oily facial skin.

Have tried so many products available but nothing seems to eliminate this. Any recommendations?

More severe in the t-zone, and just to give an example my face is always shiny because of the oily-ness and if I talk on my mobile, after the phone call you can see the oilly-ness on the screen of my phone too etc.

Any suggestions would be great. :smile:

Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
There are many home remedies you could try - I've tried a few homemade facial masks and they are actually amazing! For oily skin, there are several such as an egg white and yolk mask.
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=oily+skin+facial+mask&oq=oily+skin+facial+mask&gs_l=youtube.3..33i21.574.5535.0.5751.21.15.0.6.6.0.248.2042.5j6j3.14.0...0.0...1ac.1.E-J4qhycs3g Here are a wide variety of masks you could try! :smile: Good luck!
I have this exact same problem.
Sadly there's no way to cut down how much oil your skin produces, even by eating healthy and drinking loads of water, it's down to genetics and hormones.

The only things that I've found to work for me in some way:

-Avoid too much coffee (makes my skin super shiny)
-Freederm gel (expensive so maybe not worth it unless you have acne)
-Clay masks: They soak up the oil and so you'll be less shiny for the next couple of days. I think the best is the boots botanics one:
botanics_Ionic_Clay_Mask.jpg
-This no7 primer. A bit pricey but you can always get no7 vouchers from boots.
2010_0813AF.JPG

-Blotting papers. I like the superdrug ones.
-Translucent powder. I like the 17 one, I think it's called miracle matte.

I don't wear foundation often because I feel it makes me more oily. I just wear primer and powder.

I hope I helped a bit. I've spent ages dealing with oily skin but I think I'm finally growing out of it now :smile:

edit: If you're a guy obviously avoid the powder but you should try the primer because it's completely invisible.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
The best thing I've tried is the simple moisturiser range. I used to have very oily skin, but once I got over my fear of moisturiser and used light moisturiser regularly it seems to have got a lot better.
Hope this helps you 😄 but every one's skin is different.

Posted from TSR Mobile
A surgical knife. I imagine you probably look better with the skin ON though.
I tried the Rimmel Stay Matte powder, oh my word! I love it! And blotting paper is super essential, always carry it around with me. Really cheap, the kleenex one sI use were £1.49 in superdrug :smile:
Original post by kimberlyalisa
I tried the Rimmel Stay Matte powder, oh my word! I love it! And blotting paper is super essential, always carry it around with me. Really cheap, the kleenex one sI use were £1.49 in superdrug :smile:

I second the rimmel stay matte powder :smile: It's amazing!
Reply 7
Original post by bubblyraindrop
I second the rimmel stay matte powder :smile: It's amazing!

I am male.
Original post by brahinmanc
More severe in the t-zone, and just to give an example my face is always shiny because of the oily-ness and if I talk on my mobile, after the phone call you can see the oilly-ness on the screen of my phone too etc.

Uargh, the examples were not needed...

Wash and cleanse your face every morning and evening, and also exfoliate in the morning. I have oily skin too but this combo is doing the trick for me. Basic Nivea Man products is all you need.
Reply 9
Original post by TitanicTeutonicPhil
Uargh, the examples were not needed...

Wash and cleanse your face every morning and evening, and also exfoliate in the morning. I have oily skin too but this combo is doing the trick for me. Basic Nivea Man products is all you need.

I felt the examples were necessary to portray the severity of oiliness that I have.
You must be a real lightweight if you found that cringe worthy.
Grow a pair please ...
Reply 10
Thanks for everyone else for their very useful recommendations, appreciate them. :smile:
And you'll still need a moisturiser, but use one that'll leave a matt finish. Clinique and Estee Lauder do really good ones but if that's too expensive then I recommend the moisturiser from Proactiv :cool: I have combination skin and sometimes use that.

EDIT: just saw you're a guy - sorry! :o: In that case, I've heard Proactiv is awesome and actually tends to work better on guys than us ladies :biggrin: x
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Ash Pearson
And you'll still need a moisturiser, but use one that'll leave a matt finish. Clinique and Estee Lauder do really good ones but if that's too expensive then I recommend the moisturiser from Proactiv :cool: I have combination skin and sometimes use that.

EDIT: just saw you're a guy - sorry! :o: In that case, I've heard Proactiv is awesome and actually tends to work better on guys than us ladies :biggrin: x

Just because he's male doesn't mean he can't use Clinique/Estee Lauder. :confused: Skincare shouldn't be gender-specific.
Reply 13
rose water spray...does miracles

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Have tried so many products available but nothing seems to eliminate this. Any recommendations?

Thanks.

Have you heard of the oil cleansing method, it works for a lot of people and its cheap
Reply 15
Use an oil free moisturiser, body shop will have some good ones :smile: maybe try and cut down on greasy foods, like pizza. Drinking more water should help too :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by heirloom
Have you heard of the oil cleansing method, it works for a lot of people and its cheap

What is it?
Reply 17
Clean and clear's face wash :smile:
Reply 18

Thanks.

Stop using products with oil in them.

I've noticed the tea tree range in body shop has helped me a lot.

The facial wash along with skin clearing lotion is great it's for oily skin and it smells really nice and fresh. They have other products in they're range but so far I've only purchased those two and the pore minimiser.

TEA TREE FACIAL WASH

TEA TREE SKIN CLEARING LOTION

TEA TREE PORE MINIMISER

I've also noticed Simple Kind To Skin Refreshing Facial Wash worked well on my skin and for a moisturiser (because even if you have oily skin you need to moisturise) I've used Nivea oil free day cream.
Reply 19

Quick Reply

Latest