The Student Room Group

Are AS level grades worth anything if you don't take A2?

I'm looking to do something different next year because I've hated a-levels to the point where I've been feeling really down and depressed about having to go into sixth form. I got an A,C,D and U in my January exams and I can't see myself improving those grades in the resits or doing well in the second round of exams. Is there much point in me staying for the remainder of the year and doing the exams when I won't have A2 results to go with them?
I suppose AS grades are better than no grades

They may improve your chances at applying for a job, over someone with pure GCSE

If you've got this far, you may as well keep at it until the summer
Reply 2
Yes, AS Grades still count towards a lot! If you're applying to a University they may accept points and not full A levels. Also you'll have them grades to add to your CV/resume, which will help you get a job in the future! AS Grades are worth points as followed:
A - 60
B - 50
C - 40
D - 30

Ask yourself why you're feeling down and depressed? What are you going to do if you don't attend Sixth Form? You have to understand that A Levels are never easy, and an A at GCSE is more or less equivalent to a C at GCSE, so your AS grades are good (minus the U haha), but don't get down about it! I'd advise you to carry on for the remainder of the year, and maybe look into other opportunities which will keep you happy to do the following year?
:cute:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Yes they are worth something in terms of UCAS points.
But only if you complete the year, so don't give up keep on going and hopefully you'll get amazing grades :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Westeros

So far with your A, C, D you have 130 points

Not necessarily, those are just the results of his/her January exams. In order to get the points you have to complete the whole of AS.
Reply 5
Original post by NOONA.
Not necessarily, those are just the results of his/her January exams. In order to get the points you have to complete the whole of AS.

Oh right, I misread their post. I thought they meant overall AS Grade. I'll edit my post!

Quick Reply

Latest