The Student Room Group

BREAKING: Reports of multiple explosions at Boston Marathon leaving dozens wounded.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 500
NO-ONE deserves to be blown up, but marathon runners are people we admire, and a child died, it makes me feel so much more sad, it's just tragic.

I also HATE all the Islamophobia that is surfacing as a result of this. Anybody could have died from those bombs, Muslims included. The number of Muslims mourning and sending their thoughts and prayers out to the victims far outnumber those who caused this attack (and as far as I'm aware it has not been officially stated that this was an Islamic terrorist attack, although it is of course a possibility).
Original post by Savvy Sage
I am sorry. Please accept my apology. You are completely right of course.

That's ok.
Original post by abc:)
NO-ONE deserves to be blown up, but marathon runners are people we admire, and a child died, it makes me feel so much more sad, it's just tragic.

I also HATE all the Islamophobia that is surfacing as a result of this. Anybody could have died from those bombs, Muslims included. The number of Muslims mourning and sending their thoughts and prayers out to the victims far outnumber those who caused this attack (and as far as I'm aware it has not been officially stated that this was an Islamic terrorist attack, although it is of course a possibility).

Very good analysis here on the tendency to rush to blame Muslims, regardless of any facts, when incidents like this take place, plus a comparison of the US practise of using drones to strike at rescue parties of previous drone attacks, with the use of the second bomb in this instance.
Reply 503
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Very good analysis here on the tendency to rush to blame Muslims, regardless of any facts, when incidents like this take place, plus a comparison of the US practise of using drones to strike at rescue parties of previous drone attacks, with the use of the second bomb in this instance.

Sorry to be dim but I don't understand the point about drones :frown: could you elaborate?
April 15th: Titanic sunk
April 15th: Hillsborough Disaster
April 15th: Boston Explosion

:frown:

Thoughts and condolences with those affected.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is anybody even blaming Muslims or are you accusing everybody of suspecting it?

I'm sure if a bomb went off outside a mosque people would begin shouting 'racism' 'islamophobia' and beging suspecting white racists has commited this crime.

Remember who got blamed for the Toulouse shooting? :wink:

The only 'quick to judge' issue I see hear is accusations of racism against Muslims. (once again)
(edited 11 years ago)

First, it is natural to engage in speculation as to who carried out the attack. If someone burgled your house you would do the same ('was it someone I know? Was it someone local? Was it a neighbour? Was it the local chav with a string of convictions?').

Second, it is completely reasonable to suspect that it has been perpetrated by an Islamist organisation or individual, considering the frequency of attacks and the threat level coming from Islamists compared to others.

I cannot tell whether it is naivety or some warped sense of political correctness that is coming out with people saying you shouldn't suspect Islamists.
Original post by HouseLannister
First, it is natural to engage in speculation as to who carried out the attack. If someone burgled your house you would do the same ('was it someone I know? Was it someone local? Was it a neighbour? Was it the local chav with a string of convictions?').

He's not talking about speculation based on what we know. He's talking about a race to conclude, based on almost nothing.

Second, it is completely reasonable to suspect that it has been perpetrated by an Islamist organisation or individual, considering the frequency of attacks and the threat level coming from Islamists compared to others.

He's not talking about what people suspect. We can all suspect what we like, but since it's based on nothing it would be foolish and irresponsible to attempt to encourage support for such a baseless suspicion.

I cannot tell whether it is naivety or some warped sense of political correctness that is coming out with people saying you shouldn't suspect Islamists

Nobody else said that. You said that.
(edited 11 years ago)

Completely agree, it's wrong that when something horrific like this happens, often the blame is pointed at muslims. And when something like happens, it's wrong to speculate as nothing is known at an early stage
Original post by Skilled
Horrifying!, what the hell do these terrorists gain by killing so many innocent people, we need to put an end to this

Horrifying! What the hell do the Americans gain by killing so many innocent families by drone attacks in Afghanistan. We need to put an end to it..

I want an answer please why does this bomb gain so many publicty when there are so many innocent people who die weekly around the world by such similar acts. People seem to be side stepping this point on TSR.

Many regards go to the people who died and the injured in Boston.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sorry to be dim but I don't understand the point about drones :frown: could you elaborate?

The New York Post and other media (and people on Twitter) were saying how terrible it was that the bomber(s) placed a second device to go off during the rescue. The article is pointing out that this is precisely what the US govt is doing in the tribal areas and Afghanistan - they fire a second missile from the drones onto rescuers who are attending to the wounded from the first strike. The US has killed many civilians using this technique recently. Yet this savagery receives little or no coverage in the US media.
Reply 511
Original post by Mister Dead
He's not talking about what people suspect. We can all suspect what we like, but since it's based on nothing it would be foolish and irresponsible to attempt to encourage support for such a baseless suspicion

This. A thousand times.

There is nothing wrong with suggesting possibilities, but to point the finger at a single group without a modicum of evidence is ridiculous. Radical Islamists could have done this, but there has been nothing to suggest that yet apart from the history they have with bombs. I knew this thread (and reaction in general) would take a turn in that direction. :sigh:
Reply 512
Original post by theskyisblu
Horrifying! What the hell do the Americans gain by killing so many innocent families by drone attacks in Afghanistan. We need to put an end to it..

I want an answer please why does this bomb gain so many publicty when there are so many innocent people who die weekly around the world by such similar acts. People seem to be side stepping this point on TSR.

Many regards go to the people who died and the injured in Boston.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not ignoring what's happening in other parts of the world, its just that this thread was about the Boston Bombings so that's what I'm talking about.
Reply 513
Original post by Xotol
This. A thousand times.

There is nothing wrong with suggesting possibilities, but to point the finger at a single group without a modicum of evidence is ridiculous. Radical Islamists could have done this, but there has been nothing to suggest that yet apart from the history they have with bombs. I knew this thread (and reaction in general) would take a turn in that direction. :sigh:

G8D tried to make it about the IRA if that helps? :hugs:

Also, PRSOM.
Why the **** is everybody hating on my post. I wasn't changing the topic to WTC. I was replying to a stupid comment about WTC.

This thread is full of big headed pricks
Dont think we're gonna find out who dunnit on here, to be honest, i doubt the culprit(s) will be caught soon anyways.

As bad as it sounds, i dont think this bombs are really to a scale of a well planned terrorist attack, they seem like the work of maybe a smaller group or one individual with a vendetta.
Just to balance the argument:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2309545/Boston-bombings-2013-Devices-killed-including-Martin-Richard-Krystle-Campbell-used-terrorists-Afghanistan.html

This article shows the apparent homemade bombs used, supporting the fact that it was maybe an individual inspired by terrorism in the middle east, however maybe not part of it?
Original post by anonymouse01
Why the **** is everybody hating on my post. I wasn't changing the topic to WTC. I was replying to a stupid comment about WTC.

This thread is full of big headed pricks

Oh shush please you make the most unthoughful comment on like every thread.....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by YMLT
Oh the irony :tongue:

Well yes people were posting Guardian articles so naturally i had to post a daily mail one XD

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending