The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Original post by Minnie me
oh my i just remembered that i actually have a mock for this bio 5 exam tomorrow

Good luck :smile:
Reply 581
Original post by Weirdo225
Good luck :smile:

thanks i just hope there is hardly anything on dna especially not the essay questions

me:smile:
Original post by JackS94
Has anyone done any practice for the essay?

No, unfortunately not. It is the only thing I'm concerned about, and I need to finish the final topic (16). I do not know how I'm supposed to tackle this essay, if anyone does, I would love a cheeky pm or a quote. We're still doing topic 14 as a class so it won't be a while yet till I get to do anything substantial in terms of the essay. That being said, I've managed to salvage a booklet which sort of identifies synoptic topics and gives a rough idea of how to approach the essay.

Have you?
thanks i just hope there is hardly anything on dna especially not the essay questions

me:smile:

Hi,

After skimming a few past papers, there seems to be an emphasis on DNA in the main body of the papers, especially June 2012. So you could predict that it may come up in the essay section of our upcoming paper. Either way, AQA somehow manages to squeeze just about everything into all of their papers and "DNA" is a very substantial part of Unit 5 as it is involved in at least 3/8 topics. So it will definitely be there, at least once.

I have a love/hate relationship with DNA (too many little details to remember), you've got to force yourself to become a pro at it :biggrin:
Reply 584
Original post by I have a question
No, unfortunately not. It is the only thing I'm concerned about, and I need to finish the final topic (16). I do not know how I'm supposed to tackle this essay, if anyone does, I would love a cheeky pm or a quote. We're still doing topic 14 as a class so it won't be a while yet till I get to do anything substantial in terms of the essay. That being said, I've managed to salvage a booklet which sort of identifies synoptic topics and gives a rough idea of how to approach the essay.

Have you?

We've just been given one as homework - about using DNA in science and technology. I'll have a go at it tomorrow :/

I think an essay's quite a subjective way of marking biology...I could take my essay in completely the opposite direction to what they're looking for. I'd rather just have more questions :redface:
Original post by JackS94
We've just been given one as homework - about using DNA in science and technology. I'll have a go at it tomorrow :/

I think an essay's quite a subjective way of marking biology...I could take my essay in completely the opposite direction to what they're looking for. I'd rather just have more questions :redface:

Good luck with it!

Me too, I was at first bit perplexed as to why we are given a essay. But when you do take a look at how it's marked (according the the booklet I have anyway, not sure if it's official AQA, looks like it though), the majority of marks are picked up for properly identifying and explaining linking topics. So all in all it's not too bad, as the focus is much more objective than essay-based subjects such as english for example. A quick look at Unit 1,2 and 4 would definitely be helpful it seems.
When I was in class today we were going through some sample essays,
anybody like to discuss this particular one?

Negative feedback in organisms - (from a legacy paper actually)
so far with regards to A2 topics
1/ regulation of blood glucose
2/ temperature (thermoregulation)
3/ control of heart rate
4/ blood pressure (part of heart rate)

What else do you guys reckon, (AS related probably?)

:biggrin:
Reply 587
Original post by Zazuwaved

3/ control of heart rate

you could talk about the menstrual cycle aswell
Reply 588
Original post by I have a question
Yes, as far as I am aware you are correct

Ok. If I remember correctly (I better be correct! :tongue:), the impluse(s) during a reflex arc, avoids the CNS because it would slow down the rate at which the reflex occurs. The brain is generally only told about the reflex/stimulus after it has occurred. This is a survival adaptation; it avoids the brain being overloaded with information and means that we avoid harmful stimuli much more quickly as the neurone pathway is shortned. For example, you put your hand on a burning stove, there is no need for your brain to process "should I take my hand off, or should I not?", you just automatically do it to survive. AFTER your hand has been removed (the effector has completed it's role), your brain is informed and you realise what has happened. (Take a look at page 146, "importance of relfex arc" in the AQA textbook)

Just because an impulse goes to the brain, it doesn't mean you can render the resultant action or effect as being under concious control.... Look at it like this, you do not actively choose whether your heart rate increases or decreases once the sinoatrial nodes and respective centres of the medulla oblongata are stiumlated. Their effect is involuntary... (Go over page 147 "control of heart rate in the AQA textbook)

A coordinator, does just that - coordinates. At its simplest it aligns the information from a stimulus and (decides upon) the actions of an effector. I look at a coordinator as a sort of sorting station, it translates the information from a receptor and makes it readable for an effector, using the nervous system to transfer this information in the form of impulses.

I really should be asleep right now; apologises for any mistakes or spelling errors I have made. I hope this has helped, if anything just quote me.

Thanks for taking out time to write this, I think I understand everything now. The brain doesn't need to be involved as this will take more time and will require thinking power of the brain, instead the relay neurone is added which passes through the spinal cord (CNS).
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by emah123
OMG ive just been using the nt book!! and i NEED an A in biol 4 and 5 this june!!

I don't have the gcp should i buy it?

Definetly buy it, you still have time to read over it. The exam is in two months time.
Reply 590

3/ control of heart rate

Is there anything that's AS related that you could write?
Original post by Weirdo225
Is there anything that's AS related that you could write?

The only one I can think from the top of my head is Immune response

Posted from TSR Mobile

3/ control of heart rate

The 25 marker questions are designed to test you on how well you can link biology knowledge together, so there has to be some AS topics you could talk about.

You could talk about the immune response, something along the lines of more antibodies being secreted, hence more pathogen/antigen gets destroyed. Something along the lines :s-smilie:
Original post by James A
x

If you don't get 140 UMS, you better call up AQA!
Reply 594

3/ control of heart rate

Hey - you said you got this from a legacy paper. Do you know which ones contain these essay questions/titles? :smile:
Original post by frogs r everywhere
If you don't get 140 UMS, you better call up AQA!

I will never get 140 ums, because I suck at bio. True story.
Original post by erniiee
Hey - you said you got this from a legacy paper. Do you know which ones contain these essay questions/titles? :smile:

My biology teachers compiled a list of the questions from the previous papers I am going to try and copy some of them tomorrow and I will try to upload them. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 597
hey guys

so i did the mock exam and it turns out to be the specimen paper, and i did the essay on the causes of variation and its biological importance
hey guys

so i did the mock exam and it turns out to be the specimen paper, and i did the essay on the causes of variation and its biological importance

How did you find the paper?
Reply 599
Original post by Crazy Crouton
How did you find the paper?

hi,
i found the questions ok but the essay was weird, i just went on with things i hope were relavent, near the end my hand was hurting so i don't think the last line was readable. anyway i will find out tomorrow what grade and mark i get.

me :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending