The Student Room Group

18 and getting kicked out because i'm going to Thailand.

As the title says. We usually get on alright- we're not best of friends and I do try to avoid my Mum usually as she's quite backwards with the times (she's in her late 50's).

Basically, I've booked a ticket to Bangkok with my best friend for 5 weeks, we hope to do some travelling.

She's kicked off! Massively! She's said things like "Do you really expect to come home from a country like that?!" and "Are you really that selfish to want to go somewhere like that?!" She reckons i'm going to be kidnapped, sold into the sex trade and going to be on drugs.

She said that she would be pretty angry if I went to Spain for a week with a friend let alone Asia. She wants me to cancel my ticket which I refuse (i've spent £600 on it!) plus I really want to go.

I'll be 19 once I go and i've got 3 months before I go to university. I'm going to be a Geography student so wanting to travel is in my blood.

She reckons if she kicks me out now i'll have to spend all my money up so i'll have nothing to take with me. But, I will have enough to support myself now and for my trip but i'll have nothing for university.

So A) Is there a way to persuade her that Southeast Asia is okay? Is there a website with the amount of murders/crimes in this area? (I really wanted to go to India/Sri Lanka but that's too dangerous)

B) Is there anyway that school can help me find accommodation? Any form of benefits that can help me pay for things like food/accommodation? I understand that I won't get a flat but a room would do me. (I've got no friends I could live with atm, they could put me up for a couple of days max)

Blimey, this is a mess. I've been to America on my own and i've stayed in Barcelona in a hostel before; I know it's not the same but I am quite mature! I have my wits about me, i'm not stupid.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Your mum's got the right idea. She knows someone's gonna go balls deep in her tainted princess.

Lord knows no daughter of mine will be going somewhere like that. No sir.
I'm sorry to play the fuddyduddy, but while you sleep under her roof you live by her rules.
Reply 3
Original post by Lukev
I'm sorry to play the fuddyduddy, but while you sleep under her roof you live by her rules.

You're the fuddiest duddy I ever did meet.
Uhh, i think Thailand has the highest death rate for foreigners and holidaymakers if im honest lmao!

Schools arent gonna do much, youre not doing a world challenge so no charity involved, its up to you but i certainly wouldnt wanna go there for 5 weeks id get stupidly bored.

Bangkok is fine just avoid places like Pattaya.
Original post by Lukev

Basically this. Where was the part where you thought "My mum is supporting me through school and will be housing me for a while. Maybe I should at least mention a very important thing like going to another country for a month before I've spent £600 on it"?
Reply 6
Original post by Yawn11
Your mum's got the right idea. She knows someone's gonna go balls deep in her tainted princess.

Lord knows no daughter of mine will be going somewhere like that. No sir.

:rofl:

OP, why don't you just have a long talk with your mother about it? Make her feel at ease about where you're staying, how you've planned it all out etc and that you'll contact her regularly. I highly doubt she'll kick you out purely because of this, she just sounds like any protective mother.
Reply 7
Bangkok has you now.
Reply 8
Just assure her you will be careful. Thailand is only unsafe for those who take unessasery risks... im not saying dont take those risks just make your mum aware that you know the risks and youve put some thought into how to avoid them (traveling outside of hotel compounds and going to local markets where there arnt many tourists is always a bit sketchy... i know there are a few other things but thats the only thing that comes to mind).
Reply 9
Original post by Thriftworks
Bangkok has you now.

This.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by Rob da Mop
Basically this. Where was the part where you thought "My mum is supporting me through school and will be housing me for a while. Maybe I should at least mention a very important thing like going to another country for a month before I've spent £600 on it"?

My mum doesn't support me she just roofs me and it's my Gran who paid the mortgage. I think the last time she gave me dinner money was when I was 13? I had to pay for my holiday last year to see my sister etc.

She wanted me to go to university what she picked (Cambridge!) because I live in Cambridgeshire (I'm a B/C grade student). I had to put up with her going crazy over me going to Portsmouth but she's luckily got over that one. She's a control freak, she wouldn't allow me to go so I just booked it. I knew it would take some time for her to come around; I thought she would just give me the silent treatment for a few days.
Original post by Annuhlees
My mum doesn't support me she just roofs me and it's my Gran who paid the mortgage. I think the last time she gave me dinner money was when I was 13? I had to pay for my holiday last year to see my sister etc.

She wanted me to go to university what she picked (Cambridge!) because I live in Cambridgeshire (I'm a B/C grade student). I had to put up with her going crazy over me going to Portsmouth but she's luckily got over that one. She's a control freak, she wouldn't allow me to go so I just booked it. I knew it would take some time for her to come around; I thought she would just give me the silent treatment for a few days.

I accept it's difficult if you've got a parent that controlling, but you've picked a pretty confrontational way to go about rebelling against that, considering you've got no hold over her... Anyway, I don't really have any advice except good luck!
Reply 12
Original post by Rob da Mop
I accept it's difficult if you've got a parent that controlling, but you've picked a pretty confrontational way to go about rebelling against that, considering you've got no hold over her... Anyway, I don't really have any advice except good luck!

It's not rebelling it's 'I'm 19 in May, i'm young and i'm going todo something I want to do in life'. She'll probably win, she's threatened my family against me with 'Your gran will never talk to you or your sister (she agreed at the beginning)'.

Thank-you! I think i'll need it
Reply 13
just avoid the southern area...other parts of the country are safe enough i guess..:K:
If you get thirsty there, make sure you buy a bag of Fanta.
Reply 15
Move out. Ask to live with a friend, explaining the situation to their parents and make sure you help out around the house.
Sounds like it's gonna be a job for Liam Neeson.
(edited 11 years ago)
Yer ma's being a while bitch. Tell her to shut her bayke or you'll knock 'er ****ing teeth out!

Jokes, tell her to catch herself on.
Reply 18
Original post by Annuhlees
As the title says. We usually get on alright- we're not best of friends and I do try to avoid my Mum usually as she's quite backwards with the times (she's in her late 50's).

Basically, I've booked a ticket to Bangkok with my best friend for 5 weeks, we hope to do some travelling.

She's kicked off! Massively! She's said things like "Do you really expect to come home from a country like that?!" and "Are you really that selfish to want to go somewhere like that?!" She reckons i'm going to be kidnapped, sold into the sex trade and going to be on drugs.

She said that she would be pretty angry if I went to Spain for a week with a friend let alone Asia. She wants me to cancel my ticket which I refuse (i've spent £600 on it!) plus I really want to go.

I'll be 19 once I go and i've got 3 months before I go to university. I'm going to be a Geography student so wanting to travel is in my blood.

She reckons if she kicks me out now i'll have to spend all my money up so i'll have nothing to take with me. But, I will have enough to support myself now and for my trip but i'll have nothing for university.

So A) Is there a way to persuade her that Southeast Asia is okay? Is there a website with the amount of murders/crimes in this area? (I really wanted to go to India/Sri Lanka but that's too dangerous)

B) Is there anyway that school can help me find accommodation? Any form of benefits that can help me pay for things like food/accommodation? I understand that I won't get a flat but a room would do me. (I've got no friends I could live with atm, they could put me up for a couple of days max)

Blimey, this is a mess. I've been to America on my own and i've stayed in Barcelona in a hostel before; I know it's not the same but I am quite mature! I have my wits about me, i'm not stupid.

Sri Lanka dangerous?? Erm tbf bangkok has a certain reputation for being dodgy apparently, my mum wouldn't let my bro stay with a friend because his mum went to Thailand often (i don't get it though)
Most of the sex trade there is utilized by foreign tourists anyway so I really don't think this is gonna end up like Taken.

Latest

Trending

Trending