The Student Room Group

GCSE - shortest length involving a triangle

Hey how do I find the shortest distance from a point in a triangle , the question goes like this calculate the shortest distance from A to Bc , I will attach a pic of the question and triangle
pls help xx
Hi Rhea,

The shortest distance from a point to a line is always when it meets the line at right angles.
Here's a picture - so the distance AX marked in the picture is the shortest distance.

Now, you'll notice that ABX is a right-angled triangle (the angle ABX is 90 degrees). Since you know the length AB, and the angle ABX, you can use right-angled triangle trig to find out the length of AX - and that's your answer.

Hope that makes sense :smile:
Reply 2
Oh that's great thankyouu so much !
Reply 3
Original post by Rhea.dh

I'm actually marking this paper right now.

You made a few small mistakes in (a): You should have sin(B) instead of sin(C). Also you should write B = 40.5416.... before rounding and your final line should be B = 40.5 (1dp).

You would get 2/3 marks for this question.

Part (b) is fine.
Original post by Rhea.dh

No worries- happy to help! :smile:
Original post by notnek
I'm actually marking this paper right now.

You made a few small mistakes in (a): You should have sin(B) instead of sin(C). Also you should write B = 40.5416.... before rounding and your final line should be B = 40.5 (1dp).

You would get 2/3 marks for this question.

Part (b) is fine.

Good point and well noticed - I should have thought to check the first two parts. +1 rep for thoroughness ^_^

Quick Reply

Latest