The Student Room Group

Changing OU to brick uni?

Hi everyone,

I am withdrawing from my open university course and have been accepted at Durham uni (woohoo!!) but I am concerned over how to proceed with student finance?

Student finance have paid the first two instalments of my fees as expected - the next is due on 1st May. I have read this will not need to be paid, as I am withdrawing before the due date? My main concern is how to proceed with my loan application from here? Logging on to my account, it gives me the option to apply for finance online - do I need to do anything different due to changing universities? I want to get the application completed and processed so I don't have it hanging over my head lol.

Also, will it want my current income, or my estimated income during study? I am working full time at the moment, annual income £18500, while I will only be earning about £4000 - £5000 from part time work when studying starts. Will this affect my entitlement at all?

Thanks for any help you can give! I really appreciate it :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by aesir22
Hi everyone,

I am withdrawing from my open university course and have been accepted at Durham uni (woohoo!!) but I am concerned over how to proceed with student finance?

Student finance have paid the first two instalments of my fees as expected - the next is due on 1st May. I have read this will not need to be paid, as I am withdrawing before the due date? My main concern is how to proceed with my loan application from here? Logging on to my account, it gives me the option to apply for finance online - do I need to do anything different due to changing universities? I want to get the application completed and processed so I don't have it hanging over my head lol.

Also, will it want my current income, or my estimated income during study? I am working full time at the moment, annual income £18500, while I will only be earning about £4000 - £5000 from part time work when studying starts. Will this affect my entitlement at all?

Thanks for any help you can give! I really appreciate it :smile:

I think there'll be the option to switch uni on there and point of entry etc.

They need to know your current income. Basically, if you've been working full time, they want to know what you're giving up to go to uni. You'll probably get the full entitlement :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Thank you for the reply. Giving my income...does that mean I would be means tested? I think I need to be to get the maintenance grant and the grant my uni gives
Reply 3
Original post by aesir22
Thank you for the reply. Giving my income...does that mean I would be means tested? I think I need to be to get the maintenance grant and the grant my uni gives

Yes you would be. Bare in mind though that student finance only looks at your income if you are either
a) 25 or over
b) Have been self supporting on an income of £7k or more for 3 or more years
c) You are estranged from your parents

If none of the above applies then they will look at your parents income.
Reply 4
Original post by jelly1000
Yes you would be. Bare in mind though that student finance only looks at your income if you are either
a) 25 or over
b) Have been self supporting on an income of £7k or more for 3 or more years
c) You are estranged from your parents

If none of the above applies then they will look at your parents income.

Thanks Jelly. I am 28, I am self supporting on £18500 at the moment and live away from home so hopefully all will be well! Doing application online after work, get it outta the way lol!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending