The Student Room Group

History degree?? Help me please!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Oh, I thought everyone did general studies/critical thinking my bad. Yeah, those are all good unis. Also, if you want to go abroad have you thought about doing your degree abroad? Holland offer many courses that are taught in English (majority of Dutch people speak English) and you could study there for an absolute fraction of the price. I don't know about finance/employment abroad though. Have you heard of the saying you have to be cruel to be kind? Are you going to get AAB? Because unless you are sure, don't apply to that Uni. My mate applied to prestigious universities, got the same grades as me and then ended up going into clearing. I know a lot of people who opted for their last choice as a uni that offers less points, this is also a good idea. Based on my AS results and Jan A2's ,I chose my four Unis, and unlike most of my mates I was offered places at all of them, as I met grades. I got 240 points, plus 20 for my E in General Studies AS. I went to Bath Spa University and studied History. It's not very prestigious but it is a nice place to live and has a beautiful campus (or rather had, as its being renovated now). I also benefited from seeing my tutors more regularly than at a large university. Sorry in advance if I offended with you with the tough love.
Reply 21
Original post by md1512
Oh, I thought everyone did general studies/critical thinking my bad. Yeah, those are all good unis. Also, if you want to go abroad have you thought about doing your degree abroad? Holland offer many courses that are taught in English (majority of Dutch people speak English) and you could study there for an absolute fraction of the price. I don't know about finance/employment abroad though. Have you heard of the saying you have to be cruel to be kind? Are you going to get AAB? Because unless you are sure, don't apply to that Uni. My mate applied to prestigious universities, got the same grades as me and then ended up going into clearing. I know a lot of people who opted for their last choice as a uni that offers less points, this is also a good idea. Based on my AS results and Jan A2's ,I chose my four Unis, and unlike most of my mates I was offered places at all of them, as I met grades. I got 240 points, plus 20 for my E in General Studies AS. I went to Bath Spa University and studied History. It's not very prestigious but it is a nice place to live and has a beautiful campus (or rather had, as its being renovated now). I also benefited from seeing my tutors more regularly than at a large university. Sorry in advance if I offended with you with the tough love.

Sorry I took so long to reply I don't really go on here very often!
You're tough love hasn't offended me at all as you are right, it's best to be realistic.
We shall see how the exam goes tomorrow and then I might need to start making some difficult choices!
Original post by md1512
An MA would make you more employable if you want to do something in relation to History.

No it wont. You will still be a fresh young graduate with no experience. Far better to go for relevant work, volunteer work or internships to build up your experience, especially while you are still at Uni - that is what impresses employers, not endless bits of paper.
Reply 23
Original post by olivef
Sorry I took so long to reply I don't really go on here very often!
You're tough love hasn't offended me at all as you are right, it's best to be realistic.
We shall see how the exam goes tomorrow and then I might need to start making some difficult choices!

Good luck :smile:.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending