The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Manchester Uni accomodation- social or ensuite?!?!?

i need adviceee

ive chosen manchester as my insurance (behind leeds) and ive got to put in my accomodation choices soon.
preferably i'd like an ensuite and self-catered, but the only two options are richmond park and sheavyn house... both are nice but

ive heard that oak house/ owens park have the best social life, which i really want, but i'm quite picky about other peoples mess etc

is it actually bad? i want an honest answer, when i went to visit the halls the bathrooms were gross ngl... but i know they get cleaned twice a week but to anyone living there is it hard or do you get used to it?!
im used to having my own bathroom at home but idk will i get a 'better' uni experience somewhere like oak house....

anyone else with the same problem?!?! x
Have a read of the first page of this thread http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2091577

Fundamentally, I lived in Oak House, never had a problem with the cleanliness of the bathrooms, and was about £30 a week better off than anyone living in RP / SH, which is an awful lot of money when you're a student! If I had my time over again I'd go for shared bathroom.

Don't forget that wherever you go to uni, in second year you'll move out into a shared house where the bathroom is shared and there's no cleaner anyway.

Finally, even if the shower was grim, then if you wear a pair of rubber flip flops it raises you off the dirt just enough to make things bearable (an old backpacker trick!)
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Oragami do you get paid for all the info you provide that thread must of taken a while!!
Original post by Topgun
Oragami do you get paid for all the info you provide that thread must of taken a while!!

Not for the info on TSR I'm afraid. I wish!
Reply 4
Original post by Origami Bullets
Not for the info on TSR I'm afraid. I wish!

Are you sh'ting me! All that content and you don't get recognised for your hard work!!!!!!!!:unimpressed:

Not many people like you now days who go out their way to help others :smile:
Original post by Topgun
Are you sh'ting me! All that content and you don't get recognised for your hard work!!!!!!!!:unimpressed:

Not many people like you now days who go out their way to help others :smile:

I am recognised - just not financially. I have been made a Forum Assistant.

Anyway - this is essentially just my job, but in online format. I do have a paid job which involved advising prospective students, and being on TSR helps with that.
Reply 6
I'm in Richmond Park right now, if I could choose again I'd definitely choose Oak House. I'd have extra money to go out with and it's alot more social. The only downside is that you have to share bathrooms, but my friends in Oak House say that they actually don't mind at all.

Owen's Park is very social and active, but the fire alarm literally goes off 2-3 times per week. Wouldn't have thought that that's much fun!
Reply 7
Never had any problems really. I am staying at Owen's Park and love it. Very friendly people and incredibly social.
Reply 8
Original post by Voltozonic
I've stayed in Oak House twice now which is probably the most basic accom at the whole Uni. I've never had a prob with shower cleanliness.

I've got OCD (Not the "Oh mah goh im so OCD about mess" kind of OCD).. actual OCD and untidiness makes me anxious and unhappy. The worst part of the halls that gets to me is the kitchen because most students seem to have lived in households where mummy goes around with a little hoover after every sandwich they make, hence they don't know what a bin is.

Taking into account all of that, I cant understand how people spend like an extra £1500 living in somewhere like Richmond Park just so they can have there own bathroom. Such a waste of money (Of course if you're minted then why not) but i'd rather spend that extra £1500 on food, or doing something in the holidays.

okay thankyou very much!!
Reply 9
Original post by bobbycrisp
I'm in Richmond Park right now, if I could choose again I'd definitely choose Oak House. I'd have extra money to go out with and it's alot more social. The only downside is that you have to share bathrooms, but my friends in Oak House say that they actually don't mind at all.

Owen's Park is very social and active, but the fire alarm literally goes off 2-3 times per week. Wouldn't have thought that that's much fun!

hehehe sounds good, i think ill put it down then... not that i know whether you can even apply for insurance accomodation?!
Reply 10
Original post by steph889
Never had any problems really. I am staying at Owen's Park and love it. Very friendly people and incredibly social.

sounds good thankyou!
Reply 11
Original post by Origami Bullets
Have a read of the first page of this thread http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2091577

Fundamentally, I lived in Oak House, never had a problem with the cleanliness of the bathrooms, and was about £30 a week better off than anyone living in RP / SH, which is an awful lot of money when you're a student! If I had my time over again I'd go for shared bathroom.

Don't forget that wherever you go to uni, in second year you'll move out into a shared house where the bathroom is shared and there's no cleaner anyway.

Finally, even if the shower was grim, then if you wear a pair of rubber flip flops it raises you off the dirt just enough to make things bearable (an old backpacker trick!)

thankyou so much!!
Owens park has a jumping social life but thats due to it being bang in the centre of town, so bear that in mind. Best bet would to be staying out of town a little while (areas like fallowfield and withington are nice and pretty cheap +plus full of other students or didsbury if your parents are rich, all have good pubs and bars) and bussing in to lectures and nightlife, buses run up and down oxford road (the nightlife spine of the city with clubs and bars all the way down) to town every ten mins and a nightbus every half hour

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by caraak
hehehe sounds good, i think ill put it down then... not that i know whether you can even apply for insurance accomodation?!

I think I applied for 3 (in order of preference). If you're after a good social life, do NOT go anywhere but Fallowfield imo. Also, apply early, you're 1000x more likely to get your first choice!
Original post by caraak

You're guaranteed a place in halls at Manchester whether you come as a firm, insurance or clearing applicant, so long as you apply by August 31st. However, you should apply now if you have any preference whatsoever as to what hall you want.

NB. this isn't the case at all unis.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending