The Student Room Group

jobcentre solihull unfair sanction

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has had any problems with solihull jobcentre. When I first signed on it took them 2-3 months to proccess my claim due to the fact that im on a part time hnc electrical and took a student loan out. i have also had conflicting veiws on the amount of voluntary work i should be doing. there have been a number of undisclosed problems, but now they have issued me with a 4 week sanction even though i have done nothing wrong and have at the very least met there requirements. I told them i applied for 5 jobs and 2 other activities. I actually applied to 6 jobs but forgot to write the last one down. i am also going to the local mp. they shouldn't be allowed to stop jsa for no reason, i have heard other people being took off jsa while waiting around there too, they also seem to be focussing on retail and food industry too even if people have trade skills or experience in other work environments.
is anyone else having these problems?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If you feel you've been treated incorrectly, you can make an appeal :smile:
Original post by ForgetMe
If you feel you've been treated incorrectly, you can make an appeal :smile:

Yep.

They are aiming to sanction as many people as possible. They have targets to reduce the number of job seekers and how do you do that in a recession? You sanction.

I have been threatened with sanctions about 3 times in 5 months and every time I have pointed to my Job Seekers Agreement with the threat of making a formal complaint which gets them to back down.
Reply 3
Original post by Politics Student
Yep.

They are aiming to sanction as many people as possible. They have targets to reduce the number of job seekers and how do you do that in a recession? You sanction.

I have been threatened with sanctions about 3 times in 5 months and every time I have pointed to my Job Seekers Agreement with the threat of making a formal complaint which gets them to back down.

Give me a job and I will happily get out of JCP, every time I need to go there, it's like attending funeral for me.
Reply 4
If you feel the sanction is unfair, go through the appeals process. That's what it's there for.
Reply 5
Original post by wayne93
Hi, I was wondering if anyone has had any problems with solihull jobcentre. When I first signed on it took them 2-3 months to proccess my claim due to the fact that im on a part time hnc electrical and took a student loan out. i have also had conflicting veiws on the amount of voluntary work i should be doing. there have been a number of undisclosed problems, but now they have issued me with a 4 week sanction even though i have done nothing wrong and have at the very least met there requirements. I told them i applied for 5 jobs and 2 other activities. I actually applied to 6 jobs but forgot to write the last one down. i am also going to the local mp. they shouldn't be allowed to stop jsa for no reason, i have heard other people being took off jsa while waiting around there too, they also seem to be focussing on retail and food industry too even if people have trade skills or experience in other work environments.

Sorry to hear this, I helped my brother win against a sanction placed on him (at a different JC) so got a bit of experience with this.

May I ask what is your minimum requirement for activities each week? My brother's is 30 so your 7 activities does seem quite low.

If you want to appeal then you should attach some evidence. This has to be something NEW that was not already assessed by your adviser e.g. additional evidence of job searches. If you can prove that you met the requirement stated on your contract then you will win. Simple as that.
Original post by tthwma

May I ask what is your minimum requirement for activities each week? My brother's is 30 so your 7 activities does seem quite low.

30?

Mine is 7. It was 9 at first but then my agreement was altered.

The activity number seems to be completely random depending on which advisor processes the claim.

Still more in not necessary difficult. You just record in more detail. For example I only normally put "Checked job centre website" when really I checked their website and Reed, Monster... etc so the higher number would be easy to increase to but would simply waste my time.
Give me a job and I will happily get out of JCP, every time I need to go there, it's like attending funeral for me.

I am always amazed at how rude they are. My advisor is great. However, I have to go in to sign on every week (I don't know why this is a recent change) and I only see him once every two weeks.

The last sign on I had was with an idiot who advised me to remove my MSc and BA off my job applications. I got into a rather long and loud (polite) argument.
Original post by wayne93

Definitely appeal. When you're filling in the appeals form, put down everything you did to look for work and provide proof (print outs of emails sent, copies of job ads etc.). Basically build up your case and back it up.

What did they say the reason was for the sanction out of interest?
Reply 9
The requirements are to apply for 4 advertising jobs a fortnight and do 2 other things to improve prospects and visit there poorly con
structed website 5 times . I also have electrical qualification and carpen
try but they push for retail
Original post by wayne93
The requirements are to apply for 4 advertising jobs a fortnight and do 2 other things to improve prospects and visit there poorly con

If you did all that, provide the evidence with your appeal. They're dealt with by people in another part of the UK so it won't be someone at your local JCP who deals with it. Therefore you need to provide as much evidence as you can to back up what you're saying.

Last I heard about 60% of appeals are successful, and all the ones I ever saw that were successful had plenty of evidence with them.
Reply 11
Original post by wayne93

Their site is awful isn't it. I actually made a written complaint about it and was told I obviously wasn't using it properly and suggested I go on a basic IT course. :angry: I did a search for jobs within a 40mile radius and it was bringing up jobs 500miles away, jobs 2 weeks past their closing date etc.
Reply 12
Yep there jobs site is terrible I've made better ones :smile:.
I have evidence printed out and am planning to make an appeal . Thanks for the advice everyone
Reply 13
30?

Mine is 7. It was 9 at first but then my agreement was altered.

The activity number seems to be completely random depending on which advisor processes the claim.

Still more in not necessary difficult. You just record in more detail. For example I only normally put "Checked job centre website" when really I checked their website and Reed, Monster... etc so the higher number would be easy to increase to but would simply waste my time.

Yeah 30, seems excessive compared to what others seem to get
Reply 14
I am always amazed at how rude they are. My advisor is great. However, I have to go in to sign on every week (I don't know why this is a recent change) and I only see him once every two weeks.

The last sign on I had was with an idiot who advised me to remove my MSc and BA off my job applications. I got into a rather long and loud (polite) argument.

Some of them behave with us like if we get JSA that means we can be treated like trash :K: I only don't get one thing, why my adviser kept referring me to useless courses while recently I saw better courses on their system, like accountancy, office admin, business admin... Why the hell those courses are on their system if they don't refer people on them..

Oh and about the website, yes, their website is just awful! Job ads come in mixed order by date, so usually I find half of newest jobs in the beginning and then at the very end... There's no option to upload a cover letter on their website which is again awful. They don't remove the job ads that were posted in January.... Yes and with the distance, often I get jobs that are like the distance of Liverpool..
Reply 15
Original post by shonaT
Their site is awful isn't it. I actually made a written complaint about it and was told I obviously wasn't using it properly and suggested I go on a basic IT course. :angry: I did a search for jobs within a 40mile radius and it was bringing up jobs 500miles away, jobs 2 weeks past their closing date etc.

Did you make the complaint online or in person? Someone really needs to fix their website, it gets really annoying, half of job ads don't have 'apply' button and you have to e-mail them..
Reply 16
Some of them behave with us like if we get JSA that means we can be treated like trash :K: I only don't get one thing, why my adviser kept referring me to useless courses while recently I saw better courses on their system, like accountancy, office admin, business admin... Why the hell those courses are on their system if they don't refer people on them..

Oh and about the website, yes, their website is just awful! Job ads come in mixed order by date, so usually I find half of newest jobs in the beginning and then at the very end... There's no option to upload a cover letter on their website which is again awful. They don't remove the job ads that were posted in January.... Yes and with the distance, often I get jobs that are like the distance of Liverpool..

Yeah I got jobs in Essex, I'm in Scotland.
Reply 17
Did you make the complaint online or in person? Someone really needs to fix their website, it gets really annoying, half of job ads don't have 'apply' button and you have to e-mail them..

I e-mailed a written complaint.
Reply 18
Original post by shonaT
I e-mailed a written complaint.

Hmm, I would probably need to do the same as if we won't point them out, they won't do anything to fix their silly website. What is the point to make a website if it doesn't function properly.
Reply 19
Hmm, I would probably need to do the same as if we won't point them out, they won't do anything to fix their silly website. What is the point to make a website if it doesn't function properly.

There needs to be more complaints so it gets to the point they can't deny there are problems.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending