The Student Room Group

Warwick

I am thinking of applying for Maths at Warwick next year.

Do they actually give offers without STEP but with an increased number of A*s in the offer for example?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by _JC95

Do they actually give offers without STEP but with an increased number of A*s in the offer for example?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I doubt it.
Reply 2
Warwick take your A*s for granted - STEP is their distinguishing factor. If you want to get in, you will almost definitely have to take it (or some equivalent exam).
Reply 3
Original post by _JC95

Posted from TSR Mobile

They give offers that have either STEP or AEA grades, but I don't think they offer purely based on A levels. Fact is everyone going to study maths at Warwick will be getting A*A in maths and F. Maths at least and so they need a way to differentiate between candidates.
http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/maths/admissions/ug/offer/

They only give that offer. [for A level candidates] (Unless they make any changes next year)
Reply 5
Ahh, at least they only want a 2 on any STEP paper, rather than 1's on Step II and III like most Cambridge colleges prefer.

My dilemma really is whether I apply to Oxford or Cambridge, whilst I know I will probably apply to Warwick and have to sit STEP, I have no idea whether I should therefore have a go at meeting a challenging Cambridge offer or spreading myself over Step I for Warwick and the Oxford MAT?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
I'd recommend doing STEP as Warwick is really competitive for Maths!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
In some years Warwick have accepted a number of people who missed their offers due to STEP, but what I'd say is that getting a 2 in any STEP paper isn't particularly difficult with practice. The Warwick offer shouldn't influence your decision between Oxford and Cambridge.

Quick Reply

Latest