The Student Room Group

Best UK Prime Minister since WWII?

So who do you think has been the best United Kingdom Prime Minister since WWII and why?
Not Churchill. He led us into a war with Nazi Germany which has NOTHING to do with us.
Clement Attlee definitely. He is the only PM who really changed Britain for the better.
(edited 11 years ago)
I'm not a Tory, but I do admire Harold MacMillan quite a lot, he built over 1 million social houses in his six years of rule, and he also pressed on with the building of the motorway system. Also low unemployment and high growth too. Also a Attlee fan too
Original post by slickrick666999
Not Churchill. He led us into a war with Nazi Germany which has NOTHING to do with us.

Which history books have you been reading (or not reading as seems more likely...)? Churchill became Prime Minister after the war started. You're thinking of Neville Chamberlain (even then, Chamberlain tried for as long as possible to avoid war, something he was often criticised for).
Thatcher.

In b4 negs :shifty:
Original post by OMG TOOTHBRUSH
Thatcher.

In b4 negs :shifty:

You are entitled to you're opinion bud.
Original post by stemitchell91
Which history books have you been reading (or not reading as seems more likely...)? Churchill became Prime Minister after the war started. You're thinking of Neville Chamberlain (even then, Chamberlain tried for as long as possible to avoid war, something he was often criticised for).

Churchill still declared war on Germany. We should never have got involved. Many British lives would have been saved.
Reply 8
Clement Attlee - the creation of the welfare state is an immense achievement no matter your stance on it.

A more controversial choice but one of the best I think has to be Tony Blair. I hate him for Iraq but bar that he was pretty good I'd say.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Churchill still declared war on Germany. We should never have got involved. Many British lives would have been saved.

No he didn't. War was declared in 1939, he became Prime Minister in 1940. Given that Hitler was clearly hell-bent on conquering all before him, I'm not sure how it is that you think we would have been spared.

With the possibility of a hegemonic German Germanic-supremacist super-state next door which would have swallowed up Britain's European allies? Yeah, right... :rolleyes:
Original post by stemitchell91
No he didn't. War was declared in 1939, he became Prime Minister in 1940. Given that Hitler was clearly hell-bent on conquering all before him, I'm not sure how it is that you think we would have been spared.

Tell me about it - that poster is living in a fantasy world. :rolleyes:
Original post by Mr Advice
Clement Attlee - the creation of the welfare state is an immense achievement no matter your stance on it.

A more controversial choice but one of the best I think has to be Tony Blair. I hate him for Iraq but bar that he was pretty good I'd say.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I see you're point with regards to Blair. He did do a lot good things for the Country. It is just a shame that he will not be remembered for that, but remembered for Iraq.

Firstly, Churchill didn't lead us into the war, he lead us through it.

Secondly, by the sounds of it I guess you would have rather stood by and watched whilst Europe fell to oppression, genocide and terror?
(edited 11 years ago)

Actually pissing myself laughing.

Churchill wasn't prime minister when war was declared.

:mad:
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending