The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

Foundation Science at UEA - Your experience and feedback please

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Original post by Hawzan
Hmm I guess... I need to learn to be patient :smile:. Thanks.

I'm not surprised you're nervous! I'm sure you'll be considered, the course was designed for people in your situation who want to change disciplines.
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Reply 221
Original post by Podolshi
I'm not surprised you're nervous! I'm sure you'll be considered, the course was designed for people in your situation who want to change disciplines.

I meet the requirements by a mile, I just don't understand why it would take them this long to reply even if it is not an offer straight away. How busy must they be?? :confused::mad:
Original post by Jakelee
I completed the foundation course a few months ago and got my offer for pharmacy. :smile:
I actually found chemistry in semester 2 easier. Which is good because it dragged my grade up.
My advice is do really well on your coursework; follow the instructions they give you for it. Also go to all the workshops and the (optional) tutorials. You should still have time for fun and the social side - work hard, play hard.
Also cherish those non-lab wednesdays.

did you have previous experience of science/maths at A-level?

Original post by Hawzan
I meet the requirements by a mile, I just don't understand why it would take them this long to reply even if it is not an offer straight away. How busy must they be?? :confused::mad:

any word yet?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 223
Original post by bestofyou
any word yet?

Nothing yet. I called the Science Foundation department a number of times they didn't answer. The admission department gave me their email and I emailed them. This is what they had to say "Thank you for your email. Please accept my apologies. We are extremely busy this time of year with applications and enquiries. Our decisions will appear on UCAS Track soon."

The UCAS deadline is 9th of May so I still have more than a month to go.

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 224
what are your A-levels/predictions?

I am studying BTEC National Extended Diploma in IT Level 3 which is equivalent to A levels and my prediction grades are D*D*D* (Distinction) which would make A*A*A* and that is about 420 UCAS points, I think.
Reply 225
Original post by Hawzan
I am studying BTEC National Extended Diploma in IT Level 3 which is equivalent to A levels and my prediction grades are D*D*D* (Distinction) which would make A*A*A* and that is about 420 UCAS points, I think.

They do seem to take a while to reply, like I said before it took them a couple of months to even offer me an interview. Personally I never try to get my hopes up to avoid disappointment, but you exceed the requirements by far so you should feel pretty confident about being offered a place!
Reply 226
They do seem to take a while to reply, like I said before it took them a couple of months to even offer me an interview. Personally I never try to get my hopes up to avoid disappointment, but you exceed the requirements by far so you should feel pretty confident about being offered a place!

Did you get your offer from UEA after your interview and are you going there or somewhere else?
Reply 227
Original post by Hawzan
Did you get your offer from UEA after your interview and are you going there or somewhere else?

I got an offer and accepted it :smile: have you heard back yet?
Reply 228
I got an offer and accepted it :smile: have you heard back yet?

That's great. You're lucky. They are still pondering over my application haha. :smile:
Reply 229
Original post by Hawzan
That's great. You're lucky. They are still pondering over my application haha. :smile:

Yup, I do consider myself quite lucky. I thought I'd botched the interview but was pleasantly surprised that they offered me a place there and then. Had a short ponder about whether to choose UEA, QMUL or Liverpool and decided UEA was too good to turn down :smile:

The annoying thing for you is that they don't necessarily have to reply before June. When did you apply again? Surely they'll tell you eventually, I'm sure you'll have got in as this sort of course is tailor-made for people in your circumstances who achieve well in non-science subjects and want to change disciplines.
Reply 230
Yup, I do consider myself quite lucky. I thought I'd botched the interview but was pleasantly surprised that they offered me a place there and then. Had a short ponder about whether to choose UEA, QMUL or Liverpool and decided UEA was too good to turn down :smile:

The annoying thing for you is that they don't necessarily have to reply before June. When did you apply again? Surely they'll tell you eventually, I'm sure you'll have got in as this sort of course is tailor-made for people in your circumstances who achieve well in non-science subjects and want to change disciplines.

I applied in December and if they don't reply to me by 9th of May UCAS will automatically mark it as unsuccessful. I spoke to the lady last Friday, she said they are considering offering me an interview but it hasn't been decided yet. She said she has to confirm that with the head of the course or something like that before any offers are made. It's better than nothing I guess. If they do offer me an interview, would it be possible for you to give me some advice? :smile:
guys, anyone know if we were meant to put the point of entry to 1 or 0?

I applied for the Science foundation, so it made sense for that to be year 1 saying it was a 4 year course.

What should it have been?
Reply 232
Original post by Hawzan
I applied in December and if they don't reply to me by 9th of May UCAS will automatically mark it as unsuccessful. I spoke to the lady last Friday, she said they are considering offering me an interview but it hasn't been decided yet. She said she has to confirm that with the head of the course or something like that before any offers are made. It's better than nothing I guess. If they do offer me an interview, would it be possible for you to give me some advice? :smile:

Oh yeah, just read that it's May 9th for people who applied by January 15th. You said in a previous post that you don't have 6 GCSEs at grade B or above, maybe that'll be a reason they're still trying to decide between you and other applicants. One of the talking points of my interview was the difference between my GCSE grades (1 A*, 7 As, 2 Bs) and my A-level grades (4 Cs) as they would have considered someone getting mostly A grade GCSEs to get better A-level results. I explained to them that I did mostly subject-specific revision instead of 'exam preparation' (whatever that is :tongue:) so, even though I was knowledgeable on most subjects (a teacher confirmed this in my reference) I struggled to express it in the highly constricting A-level mark schemes issued by AQA. As long as you stressed that your GCSEs were down to the language barrier then they should understand. No problem at all, I'd be happy to help if you get an interview :smile: if you get told that your interview is with the Admissions Director for the course then I'll even be able to tell you what she's like and what sort of topics you'll be likely to discuss!
Reply 233
guys, anyone know if we were meant to put the point of entry to 1 or 0?

I applied for the Science foundation, so it made sense for that to be year 1 saying it was a 4 year course.

What should it have been?

I agree, it made more sense to put '1' as it was the start of the specific course, but all universities that made me an offer automatically changed it to '0'.
I agree, it made more sense to put '1' as it was the start of the specific course, but all universities that made me an offer automatically changed it to '0'.

would I need to contact them and change it or would it matter?
Reply 235
would I need to contact them and change it or would it matter?

It shouldn't matter, they'll know what you meant. I put '1' in my application and they didn't say anything, just changed it when they gave me my offer.
It shouldn't matter, they'll know what you meant. I put '1' in my application and they didn't say anything, just changed it when they gave me my offer.

where else did you apply to and did you put '1' for all of them?
Reply 237
Oh yeah, just read that it's May 9th for people who applied by January 15th. You said in a previous post that you don't have 6 GCSEs at grade B or above, maybe that'll be a reason they're still trying to decide between you and other applicants. One of the talking points of my interview was the difference between my GCSE grades (1 A*, 7 As, 2 Bs) and my A-level grades (4 Cs) as they would have considered someone getting mostly A grade GCSEs to get better A-level results. I explained to them that I did mostly subject-specific revision instead of 'exam preparation' (whatever that is :tongue:) so, even though I was knowledgeable on most subjects (a teacher confirmed this in my reference) I struggled to express it in the highly constricting A-level mark schemes issued by AQA. As long as you stressed that your GCSEs were down to the language barrier then they should understand. No problem at all, I'd be happy to help if you get an interview :smile: if you get told that your interview is with the Admissions Director for the course then I'll even be able to tell you what she's like and what sort of topics you'll be likely to discuss!

Whoop Whoop. I got an interview haha. I shouldn't be that happy about it, God knows what is going to happen. My interview is with the course director and it will be on 2nd of May. Could you please tell me for example what kind of questions did they ask you? Am I supposed to wear smart clothes for the interview (a suit?) or just causal smart? Any other information and advice would be appreciated :smile: Thank you.
Reply 238

I applied to many places and put 0 for all of them including this one for UEA. I don't think it matters that much really.
Reply 239

I applied to Uni of Liverpool, Sussex, Queen Mary and Hertfordshire. I applied for similar courses with a preliminary year for the first 3 of those, all with 1 in the box. I got turned down for Sussex and given offers for the other two, both changed it to '0' in the entry year. I applied for and was given an offer for direct entry to Biochemistry at Hertfordshire (so obviously they kept it as '1') but decided against it.

Original post by Hawzan
Whoop Whoop. I got an interview haha. I shouldn't be that happy about it, God knows what is going to happen. My interview is with the course director and it will be on 2nd of May. Could you please tell me for example what kind of questions did they ask you? Am I supposed to wear smart clothes for the interview (a suit?) or just causal smart? Any other information and advice would be appreciated :smile: Thank you.

Nice one, great to hear!! Is it in the EDU building?

A lot of the questions she asked me were about what I'm doing in my year off, which probably doesn't apply to you. She did, though, ask me to persuade her that my academic record justifies entry to UEA, which normally has high entry requirements for their courses. In your case you could simply state that, with 420 UCAS points, you are clearly smart enough to enter onto the courses and you simply want to change disciplines to Science which is why you saw this course as the perfect way of doing this at a very good University. I also talked about extra-curricular activities such as a scientific study I had done at a local university to me, LJMU, when I was 17, plus my interests in music and language. She even told me about the music facilities they have plus that it may be possible to integrate a language into my degree depending on the pass grade in the preliminary year!

So, basically, you need to promote yourself as much as possible. You want to switch the emphasis of the interview from you persuading her to her persuading you to come to UEA. Towards the end of the interview, if she asks you if you've got anything else to add, then say anything except 'no' (I've done this in past interviews and never got the part!). It lasts 30 minutes to an hour so make sure you have a lot to say for yourself!

As far as clothing goes, I felt a bit over-dressed in my suit. The guy after me was wearing jeans and some sort of brown coat. I'd say that 'smart casual' would be ideal, personally I have no idea what it means and usually end up in a suit if I was asked to wear it but I'd say that 'smart casual' is probably the best choice for this interview.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending