The Student Room Group

Boston bombing: the real problem

Scroll to see replies

Original post by slickrick666999
Women are raped and killed everyday, yet when it happens to a woman in India, it makes world news.

Yes its so sad.
The media has its limits.
Reply 41
Original post by slickrick666999
It's not being blamed on anybody. If so, who is blaming? are you judging this off internet comments? So what are you speaking of? everybody stereotypes anyway. It's just that when it involves Muslims, people begin voicing their concern at stereotypes. If it's another group, it seems to be fine....

everybody stereotypes anyway

How is this in any way a justification?

Everybody lies, so it's ok to do it right?

It's just that when it involves Muslims, people begin voicing their concern at stereotypes.

It's when Muslims (or any group) are blamed WITHOUT THERE BEING EVIDENCE is what I have a problem with.

If it's another group, it seems to be fine

The thing is, there are lots of other groups that *don't* get blamed if a member/proponent commits an atrocity.

It's not being blamed on anybody. If so, who is blaming?

I was referring specifically to your comment here:

Just because somebody may also believe they were Muslims or A Muslim,
Original post by Kiss
Not the world's best resource but all the information you need to find is right there:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Islamic_terrorist_attacks

How on Earth is this 'all the information we need'? We are talking about attacks on US soil, this is a list of Muslim attacks around the world. I can't get over how ridiculous this post is.

The fact is that Islamic terrorism accounts for only a tiny percentage of terrorist attacks in the western world.
Reply 43
Original post by tehforum
Let's compare state sanctioned terrorism vs nutjobs. Let's compare systematic devastation vs a saddening, but comparatively minor isolated event. Let's blame USA for everything wrong with Iraq today.

You clearly don't understand the nature of war, what collateral damage is or what terrorism is.

Systematic devastation? Stick to reading the Guardian fella, because you're making no sense to anyone else.
Reply 44
Original post by VeniViciVidi
Can you provide an example of this "state sanctioned terrorism"? I fear you're getting the terms confused.

Here are a few examples provided by Kenneth Oldmeadow, 'American state (as distinct from the American people at large) has repeatedly been guilty of the most cynical acts of subversion and terrorism—the assassination of democratically elected leaders; the covert sabotaging of properly constituted governments; the support of neo-fascist dictators, military juntas and murderous regimes; the invasion of other countries and repeated abuses of their sovereignty; the violation of the Geneva convention and many UN treaties and protocols; the deliberate killing of thousands of innocent civilians... the list goes on. Chile, Nicaragua, Guatemala, El Salvador, Grenada, Cuba, the Dominican Republic, Panama, to name a few signal cases close to home.'
Original post by Steevee
You clearly don't understand the nature of war, what collateral damage is or what terrorism is.

Systematic devastation? Stick to reading the Guardian fella, because you're making no sense to anyone else.

It actually makes perfect sense to anybody with even a rudimentary understanding of US foreign policy history.
Reply 46
I've seen many comments and topics accusing Muslims about the Boston Bombing ;it only shows the effect of the Media on their minds! When i heard about Boston Bombing on Tv,i knew they would accuse Muslims firstly,whenever there's a bad event,it's muslims who did it ! When America was bombing Iraq ,it was a safety issue ,and they always make a pretext to invade our countries! Now,which Arabian country after Iraq will pay the boston bombing ?!
Reply 47
Original post by Captain Haddock
It actually makes perfect sense to anybody with even a rudimentary understanding of US foreign policy history.

The accusation that the US is guilty of the 'systematic devastation' of Iraq is absurd.
Original post by interact
Here are a few examples provided by Kenneth Oldmeadow,

What formal education and scholarly significance in the theatre of international relations, strategic analysis and policy does Oldmeadow possess?
Original post by VeniViciVidi
What formal education and scholarly significance in the theatre of international relations, strategic analysis and policy does Oldmeadow possess?

That's not important. You should address the argument, not the author. What part of the quote do you take issue with?
The funny thing is, the Guardian would be the first to point the finger at right-wing terrorism if it was a bomb outside a US mosque or whatever. We would probably be seeing Guardian editorials about the threat of society being too right-wing and the like before the perperator was confirmed.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Captain Haddock
That's not important. You should address the argument, not the author. What part of the quote do you take issue with?

I take issue with the ambiguity of the quotation, a lack of reference to the definition of terrorism, hence I ask for formal reference of the author to any education or experience regarding policy analysis in terrorism so that the author is infact using a technically accepted definition. Most of the examples cited were a counteraction towards Marxist-Leninist populist in South America. It is perfectly within the security apparatus of the state to engage in methods to counteract any notion that my harm its interests. I would also like the author to elaborate on the specific UN treaties to add fruitfulness to the debate as that is weighted on the side of ambiguity.
Original post by Steevee

The Guardian is just as bad as the Mail sometimes.

ALL newspapers are just as bad as the Mail sometimes.
I'm sick of all the speculation, why can't people just respect that there has been a tragedy and just wait to see who is officially named for this horrendous act. Then, you can all start pointing the finger and insulting each other's views and religions.
Reply 54
Original post by blackorchid
ALL newspapers are just as bad as the Mail sometimes.

I agree.

Thing is the Guardian is just as guilty as the Mail a lot of the time. And it's not just confined to their opinion pieces, there are as many generalisations, as much conjecture and as much bias throughout their paper, it's worst in the opinion pieces, but not confined to them.
Original post by iamgreatness
whats wrong with thinking it was muslims? statistically they are the most likely to do this

Why are you tarring all muslims with the same brush? Not all Muslims are terrorists. I mean the UK lived under threat (and still in NI to an extent now) of the IRA for decades - does that affect our relationship with Irish people? No. Because we know the majority of Irish are decent people like us who are as equally disgusted as we are with that type of behaviour - the same goes for Muslims. In fact, whilst a lot of recent atrocities have been committed by Muslims; 9/11, 7/7, 11/3 (I think that was the Madrid Date), the media is only exacerbating the divide by blaming them for all evil things, a lot which do not involve them. The media should be a tool which is used to bring communities, nations and people of all different lifestyles together, not tear us all apart. Anyway, did you not know that within America there is a lot of political division? Particularly around some of the new laws Obama is trying to introduce (laws which I would support if I were American) such as Gay marriage.
(edited 11 years ago)

It may well not have been Muslims, but it is similar enough to a large number of attacks carried out by Muslims in Iraq, Iran and Afghanistan, for it to seem most likely that it was an attack performed by Muslims.
Original post by StUdEnTIGCSE
Uhhum...

Can you give statistics of "attacks" in US soil and who did it?
One or two Muslim attacks are not enough to justify ....or you might know more of stats. Its not the magnitude but the frequency.

If it was the magnitude then you should consider USA as the biggest threat (they called it Satan in Iran) in the world. They killed almost thousand times more civilians than 9/11 in a decade (yes 3 million).

Can you provide evidence that 3 million people have lost their lives as a direct result of weapons used by American forces?
While my heart and prayers go out to the city of Bostom for this, just know that 1000s of people are dying everyday in cities like Palestine, but it seems that just because its Muslim region it doesn't deserve any coverage. Don't fall into the trap of the media
Original post by As_Dust_Dances_
46 people die in a bombing in Afghanistan and the news has a tiny coverage on it, 3 people die in a bombing in America and the world stops.

As blunt as it sounds, it's perfectly reasonable for us to be more interested in the Boston attacks than another bombing in Afghanistan.
Attacks on the west are rare, attacks in Afghanistan are not.
We live in the Western world, not Afghanistan.
If we reported every single death in Afghanistan, the news would be full of it, page to page, every day.

Why wouldn't media catering to the western world focus more on an attack on the west anyway? Makes perfect sense.

None of that takes anything away from the deaths in Afghanistan, they are just as tragic as the loss in Boston.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending