The Student Room Group

Opinion about these universities.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by ss_s95
And UCAS points determine which one's tougher to get into, out of York and Nottingham? By your logic, technically Bristol should've accepted me and St Andrews should've rejected me, seeing as Bristol has a lower average UCAS tariff (489 vs 509, like that actually matters) - but no, I was rejected by Bristol and offered places by St. Andrews and Warwick (albeit change of course to Accounting and Finance).

York and Nottingham are both brilliant universities - and rather than looking at some flawed league tables or the size of the university, I'd be looking at other things like course content, nightlife, accommodation, facilities, etc

Nottingham's a larger city and the university's much larger - which means their acceptance rate is relatively higher than York. What makes you think Nottingham's like a factory just because they have more students? Again, using your flawed logic, that must mean Manchester, which is a really good RG university, must be producing useless graduates on a conveyor belt, right?

You don't know what you are talking about.
Original post by ssxx
Notts? you joking? It has lower ucas points than York,therefore easy to get in.
Notts has over 33,000 student compared to 14,000 in York.
Notts is like a factory the way it gives out degrees in large numbers to Tom, Dick and Harry.

P.S York has a college system.

You do realise that it is a bigger university, with more facilities and more staff? Seriously, some people...

P.S. So does Lancaster...

OP, it really doesn't matter out of those. You'll get a good degree, from a good university, so go for the one you like most :tongue:
Reply 42
Original post by cant_think_of_name
You do realise that it is a bigger university, with more facilities and more staff? Seriously, some people...

P.S. So does Lancaster...

OP, it really doesn't matter out of those. You'll get a good degree, from a good university, so go for the one you like most :tongue:

It is all about the staff to student ratio! not just more staff.
Why do you think places like Manchester is ranked 50th in some UK league tables? Students are not happy with their experience.
Original post by freeurmind
In general at good uni's the more students they intake the bigger their department.
e.g. Physics @ Manchester vs Physics @ York

But obviously manchester, leeds etc .. have created random/weak courses just to make money but that doesn't discredit their traditional courses

Would you mind pointing out these 'weak courses' please.
Reply 44
Original post by ssxx
You don't know what you are talking about.

Elaborate (if you're even able to...)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Transformational
Would you mind pointing out these 'weak courses' please.

e.g. BA News Media @ Leeds uni
Reply 46
Original post by ssxx
Notts? you joking? It has lower ucas points than York,therefore easy to get in.
Notts has over 33,000 student compared to 14,000 in York.
Notts is like a factory the way it gives out degrees in large numbers to Tom, Dick and Harry.

P.S York has a college system.

After saying all that, you will still find Notts provides better employment prospects and university prestige than York provides. More so for Economics.
Reply 47
Original post by ssxx
Well if you read more before you write you would have known.

Please don't be condescending, thanks. I was just asking a question, actually expecting the answer I was given. But instead of assuming I thought I'd give you the opportunity to provide it.

That york has spend 750 million on expansion and investment which is the largest single investment of any UK university.

Manchester announced a £1 billion single-campus investment in 2011. This is on top of the several hundreds of million invested in the years leading up to this.

Newcastle have invested several hundred million over the last few years.

All universities invest money and, as mentioned, several universities have invested comparable amounts. What makes York special?

You can invest all you want, but this doesn't mean that the money will be invested wisely and you don't even mention what this money is being spent on. Even if it is invested wisely, it doesn't guarantee that this will result in any substantial increase in standards or status.

Universities need to invest such large sums of money, otherwise they fall behind. It's as much about maintaining status, as it is "improving".

As for the comments about Nottingham (without being too pedantic it's not Notts - Notts is an abbreviation for the county of Nottinghamshire), that it has a marginally lower UCAS entry tariff is really neither here not there. We could be talking A*AA against AAA. You really think this means the quality of students at York are better? That A* means sod all, basically. I can confidently state that the standard of student at Nottingham will be broadly comparable to that found at York.

As for a university being more difficult to get into, this does not mean it's "better". There are some excellent departments in this country that have fairly modest typical offers.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 48
Original post by River85
Please don't be condescending, thanks. I was just asking a question, actually expecting the answer I was given. But instead of assuming I thought I'd give you the opportunity to provide it.

Manchester announced a £1 billion single-campus investment in 2011. This is on top of the several hundreds of million invested in the years leading up to this.

All universities invest money and, as mentioned, several universities have invested comparable amounts. What makes York special?

You can invest all you want, but this doesn't mean that the money will be invested wisely and you don't even mention what this money is being spent on. Even if it is invested wisely, it doesn't guarantee that this will result in any substantial increase in standards or status.

Universities need to invest such large sums of money, otherwise they fall behind. It's as much about maintaining status, as it is "improving".

As for the comments about Nottingham (without being too pedantic it's not Notts - Notts is an abbreviation for the county of Nottinghamshire), that it has a marginally lower UCAS entry tariff is really neither here not there. We could be talking A*AA against AAA. You really think this means the quality of students at York are better? That A* means sod all, basically. I can confidently state that the standard of student at Nottingham will be broadly comparable to that found at York.

As for a university being more difficult to get into, this does not mean it's "better". There are some excellent departments in this country that have fairly modest typical offers.

I should also add just to support your argument - out of York and Nottingham, Nottingham requires A*AA-AAA (A*ABB-AABB for 4 A2's) and York typically asks for AAA-AAB (no distinction for 4 A2's). (But obviously they both want to see at least an A*AA(a) for a guaranteed offer) - just thought I'd add this info for ssxx to digest, since he thinks it's easier to get into Nottingham for some reason...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 49
Original post by River85

The 1 billion is 40,000 students, compared tk 750 million for York for 14,000 students, so York gets more for its size, plus Manchester has not spent the money only announced..York spent 500 million so far and rest due cause.
Reply 50
Original post by LutherVan
After saying all that, you will still find Notts provides better employment prospects and university prestige than York provides. More so for Economics.

Wrong! It is misleading ,they put Manchester higher than Oxbridge for employment, only becuse it offerd many more degree, but in real life people from Oxbridge and York get more prestigious jobs than Manchester or notts
Reply 51
Original post by ssxx
Wrong! It is misleading ,they put Manchester higher than Oxbridge for employment, only becuse it offerd many more degree, but in real life people from Oxbridge and York get more prestigious jobs than Manchester or notts
You talk as if York students get an advantage over people who study at manchester or nottingham, but I can tell you that theres no advantage going to york over those unis.
Reply 52
Original post by Nitrogen
You talk as if York students get an advantage over people who study at manchester or nottingham, but I can tell you that theres no advantage going to york over those unis.

Gregg dyke the director general of the BBC went to york.
I know lot of people from York who have prestigious jobs.
Manchester and notts are factories! Pile them high, sell them cheap, over crowded.
Original post by senz72
Yes, I've applied for Economics as well! :smile:

Great !! Hope you will pass the condition and look forward to seeing you at York if you and I choose. ^_^

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ssxx
Manchester and notts are factories! Pile them high, sell them cheap, over crowded.

Wow !! So surprised to hear that. I quite agree with you about Manchester since they are not open-minded for mature and international students compared to York and Nott. ^_^

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 55
Original post by ssxx

I can just as easily pick out people coming out of Nottingham and if I tried. And whether or not you're able to get a job is dependent on you as a person, more than whether you went to Nottingham or York.

Pile them high, sell them cheap? What's wrong with you? We're talking about Nottingham here, not TVU.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 56
Original post by ssxx
The 1 billion is 40,000 students, compared tk 750 million for York for 14,000 students, so York gets more for its size, plus Manchester has not spent the money only announced..York spent 500 million so far and rest due cause.

Mate, stop using maths and numbers to prove a point that hardly exists. UCAS points, investment figures, mean jack all. Did you not read everything that poster said? So what if York spends £750m? Does that mean that EVERYBODY benefits? Has all that money been spent effectively? And so what if Manchester hasn't spent yet? Does that mean it's hit the end of the road?

Honestly, you're not worth arguing with - and OP, York and Nottingham ARE on par with each other. Factors such as distance from home, cost of accommodation, things to do in town and course content should be the influencing factors. I'd choose Nottingham personally because more people I know are going, social life is more lively and it's closer to home than York. But of course it depends on what you want, not some random-*** figures that don't directly affect your experience at university.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 57
Original post by ssxx

No! People from Notts get more prestigious jobs than York.

If you go to finance and banking, after the target 6, Nottingham is one of the semi-target universities, York is not.

http://www.nairaland.com/141689/rough-guide-best-most-reputable/7#8734461

When it comes to Management consulting, neither is really targeted.

When it comes to Law, Nottingham will take the edge.

Overall Nottingham gives the better graduate prospect.

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?o=Prospects
Reply 58
Original post by LutherVan
No! People from Notts get more prestigious jobs than York.

If you go to finance and banking, after the target 6, Nottingham is one of the semi-target universities, York is not.

http://www.nairaland.com/141689/rough-guide-best-most-reputable/7#8734461

When it comes to Management consulting, neither is really targeted.

When it comes to Law, Nottingham will take the edge.

Overall Nottingham gives the better graduate prospect.

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?o=Prospects

York is a target university for investment banks...here is the link:rolleyes:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2007/may/19/choosingadegree.highereducation7
Notts does not give an over all graduate prospect....you are fooled like statistics.

It does not show the quality of jobs, people in notts can end up in a lower position job in 6 months but people in York could go traveling and see the world within the first 6 months.

You need to learn about statistics
Reply 59
Original post by ssxx

York has higher UCAS points than Notts, York is harder to get into.

Manchester has 40,000 students, notts has over 33,000 students.
These places are like factories, no real student personal experience.

York is known for being excellent at teaching, ranked 8th by RAE for quality of research and have only 4% drop out rate, with a college system.
only 14,000 students.

Actually for economics Nottingham has higher entry requirements than York
http://www.york.ac.uk/economics/undergraduate/courses/bsc-economics/
http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ugstudy/courses/economics/ba-bsc-economics.aspx
There is nothing wrong with a large number of students, it just means that there is more diversity which I prefer but everyone has different preferences.
Nottingham for economics has the higher average salary of £28000 compared to York of £23000 and Manchester has £25500, so overall I would say notts is the most prestigious out of the choices

http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/subjects/employment/10007167-UUBECOSECO3~UBECOSECO3
http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/subjects/employment/10007798-287
http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/subjects/employment/10007154-L100

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending