The Student Room Group

Which are the best Universities for Maths?

Hi guys, I have been told I have the potential to read Maths at any top UK University. I am currently in Year 12 and need to start thinking about which unis I want to visit.

My priorities are: high mathematics teaching and research ratings, good location, quite a bit away from my current South Yorkshire location.

I want to apply to one of Oxbridge, Warwick and then obviously 3 others. I want to apply to 1 London based uni, which is the best for maths?

Also, are there any other universities very good at Maths such as Durham etc?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
For London, I'd say Imperial is the best for Maths.
Reply 2
This topic has been done to death on the maths forum, try searching. Also, if you try searching Google 90% of the topics you'll find are TSR threads discussing this.

Sorry, I'm not trying to come across a **** but this question is asked on a monthly basis. :smile:
Original post by _JC95
Hi guys, I have been told I have the potential to read Maths at any top UK University. I am currently in Year 12 and need to start thinking about which unis I want to visit.

My priorities are: high mathematics teaching and research ratings, good location, quite a bit away from my current South Yorkshire location.

I want to apply to one of Oxbridge, Warwick and then obviously 3 others. I want to apply to 1 London based uni, which is the best for maths?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Imperial is the best in London for Maths. Bristol and Bath are good too.
Reply 4
The best universities are COWI:

Cambridge

Oxford

Warwick

Imperial

They are the four universities with the most vast recognition around the world for Mathematics, and therefore the most demanding.
Other great universities for maths include:

St. Andrews

Birmingham

UCL

Durham

Bristol

Hope that helps.
Reply 5
Original post by _JC95

Posted from TSR Mobile

Apply to Cambridge, Warwick and Imperial, then forget the rest.

If you don't receive offers from any of them, I suggest you retake.

Original post by chapmouse

Cambridge

Oxford

Warwick

Imperial

They are the four universities with the most vast recognition around the world for Mathematics, and therefore the most demanding.

St. Andrews

Birmingham

UCL

Durham

Bristol

Hope that helps.

They are the four UK universities .....

There are universities in other parts of the world that, despite not receiving the same level of publicity, have some of the best brains.

After all, judging by the UK's A-Level standard, it's not exactly a world leader.

Even if you add STEP /AEA and MAT, it's not at the top.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by caveman123

There are universities in other parts of the world that, despite not receiving the same level of publicity, have some of the best brains.

After all, judging by the UK's A-Level standard, it's not exactly a world leader.

The person said 'recognition', not that the smartest people from around the world attend COWI for maths.
Reply 7

Oh no.

If you don't want to get heavily negged I suggest you delete that post LOL. League tables for maths are hilariously wrong.

#5 Lancaster yet #20 Imperial :lol:
Original post by Noble.
Oh no.

If you don't want to get heavily negged I suggest you delete that post LOL. League tables for maths are hilariously wrong.

That's a good point, I know how angry the maths peeps get over stuff like this :eek4:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by caveman123
Apply to Cambridge, Warwick and Imperial, then forget the rest.

If you don't receive offers from any of them, I suggest you retake.

The OP asked for UK universities.
Oxbridge
Warwick
ICL
UCL
Bristol, Bath, etc...
Reply 11
COWI, which consists of Cambridge, Oxford, Warwick and Imperial, are the four best universities for Mathematics in the UK and have a world-class repetition. Universities that are not far behind (in no particular order) are Bristol, Bath, St Andrews, UCL, Durham, KCL and Southampton.

Edit: I'm aware that I've missed out on some Universities!!!!!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by danielnkwocha
That's a good point, I know how angry the maths peeps get over stuff like this :eek4:

We are easily annoyed. One of the reasons I hate seeing this thread popping up all the time, every time someone posts a thread asking this question you can guarantee the following discussions takes place:

Oxford vs. Cambridge

Oxford vs. Warwick / Cambridge vs. Warwick

Someone mentions how Oxford is crap because they don't ask for STEP

Why is satisfaction so low at Imperial?

Warwick vs. Imperial

Oxbridge vs. Imperial

Someone will post the usual list of COWI(BB)

Someone will mention how UK mathematics is a joke and how, in China, everyone has the equivalent of a Cambridge degree in mathematics by the age of 5

Someone will post a link to a Hong Kong A-Level maths exam, telling people it's more challenging than STEP

Someone will post a list of where the IMO winners end up and base their opinion on the best universities for maths on this

Also the fact that the majority of people who end up posting with their 'ranking' and 'opinions' have zero experience of undergrad. mathematics, it gets quickly tedious after you go through this 15 times.
Reply 13
Original post by `Jts
COWI, which consists of Cambridge, Oxford, Warwick and Imperial, are the four best universities for Mathematics in the UK and have a world-class repetition. Universities that are not far behind (in no particular order) are Bristol, Bath, St Andrews, UCL, Durham and Southampton.

I think kings college is quite good too
Reply 14
Original post by nju
I think kings college is quite good too

I left out a few :colondollar:
Reply 15
Original post by Noble.
Oh no.

Come on everyone knows that's right :smile:

EDIT: god I laughed so hard when I saw your list of how this conversation always disintegrates. It's funny 'cause its true :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 16
thanks to the people who were helpful anyway, personally I have not heard yet of COWI etc, hence the reason I created this post. I am sorry if you see this on here a lot, but the title of the discussion was relatively self-explanatory - if you're going to get into such a huff about it don't click on the post in the first place?
Reply 17
Original post by _JC95
thanks to the people who were helpful anyway, personally I have not heard yet of COWI etc, hence the reason I created this post. I am sorry if you see this on here a lot, but the title of the discussion was relatively self-explanatory - if you're going to get into such a huff about it don't click on the post in the first place?

Sorry if my post came across as me being annoyed, I made it as a joke really. Honestly though, there is a lot of good advice on this forum in regards to maths applications to Universities and most people are more than happy to answer questions etc. but your question is very general and has been done to death. It's a good idea to spend a weekend searching Google and this forum about general applications for mathematics, and then once you've narrowed down where you're interested in, you'll probably find a lot of discussion about mathematics at that university and comparisons (so Warwick vs. Imperial, Cambridge vs. Oxford) . If you're interested in the top universities for maths probably every X vs. Y comparison has been done to death on the forum.

If after searching all of that you've still got questions, then it's usually a good time to make a thread. Again, I'm not saying this to be horrible, I'm genuinely saying it because you won't really get a good response in this thread, it's too broad a question and you'll just have a plethora of people giving you their opinions on a ranking, which is frankly of no use to you (and within COWI it's very difficult to even begin how to give a definitive ranking).

Also, among the top Universities there is going to be a much bigger factor which will determine an application other than the course itself. For example, applications are processed very differently at Oxford and Cambridge for mathematics, so you may find actually you'll benefit from applying to one, as opposed to the other, on the basis of something like STEP or MAT? What your UMS are like? Whether you prefer Oxford or Cambridge as a place to live? All of these questions far outweigh course differences between Oxford and Cambridge; there are course differences, but in the first couple of years it's difficult to say which is more challenging or better.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Noble.
We are easily annoyed. One of the reasons I hate seeing this thread popping up all the time, every time someone posts a thread asking this question you can guarantee the following discussions takes place:

Oxford vs. Cambridge

Oxford vs. Warwick / Cambridge vs. Warwick

Someone mentions how Oxford is crap because they don't ask for STEP

Why is satisfaction so low at Imperial?

Warwick vs. Imperial

Oxbridge vs. Imperial

Someone will post the usual list of COWI(BB)

Someone will mention how UK mathematics is a joke and how, in China, everyone has the equivalent of a Cambridge degree in mathematics by the age of 5

Someone will post a link to a Hong Kong A-Level maths exam, telling people it's more challenging than STEP

Someone will post a list of where the IMO winners end up and base their opinion on the best universities for maths on this

Also the fact that the majority of people who end up posting with their 'ranking' and 'opinions' have zero experience of undergrad. mathematics, it gets quickly tedious after you go through this 15 times.

This is so hilariously true. It's sad I've read enough nonsense on the maths forum to relate to this.
Original post by chapmouse

Cambridge

Oxford

Warwick

Imperial

St. Andrews

Birmingham

UCL

Durham

Bristol

Hope that helps.

Birmingham !! really ? I think Nottingham and Lancaster is still better.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest