The Student Room Group

Should I go to university? If so, where to choose?

Hi everyone,

so here's the situation. I got rejected from two places (not surprised as I'm not as smart as other applicants) and luckily (somehow) got three offers from York, Manchester and City.

With due respect to these great universities, I'm getting the feeling it's not really worth £9000 to go to these universities. My parent's aren't really supportive of me and with quite a majority from my school going to really good universities, it just makes me feel like an utter flop.

Anyway if I were to go to university which university should I go to?
I've done my research and each has it's pros and cons and I'm struggling to pick. For me personally, job prospects is a major essential and cost of living other than that I'm kind of open.

York's Pros:
Better standard of living.
Easy to get round.
Better nationally in terms of ranking.
Facilities seem better.

Manchester Pros:
More contact hours.
More weeks.
Cheaper accommodation.
Better graduate employment figures.
Better internationally in terms of ranking.

Manchester negatives:
Low quality accommodation in quite run down areas.
Large class sizes.

York negatives:
Low contact hours (4-15 :/)
Unemployment rate at 16 compared to 5% at Manc.
Quite expensive accommodation.

Any help would be grateful!

Thanks in advance.
(edited 10 years ago)
Hi !! I remember you from my thread about choosing universities. I just wanna say that I might go to York since it offers me my preferred course and the living cost is much lower. ^_^

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by senz72
Hi everyone,

so here's the situation. I got rejected from two places (not surprised as I'm not as smart as other applicants) and luckily (somehow) got three offers from York, Manchester and City.

With due respect to these great universities, I'm getting the feeling it's not really worth £9000 to go to these universities. My parent's aren't really supportive of me and with quite a majority from my school going to really good universities, it just makes me feel like an utter flop.

I plan to do an economics degree which is also another concern. Something I've realised is that the jobs that most economists get into, have quite a few people with other degrees which has caused me to question what's the point of an economics degree if you can do a science and get into the same type of jobs whilst opening even more doors.

I've done my research and each has it's pros and cons and I'm struggling to pick. For me personally, job prospects is a major essential and cost of living other than that I'm kind of open.

Thanks in advance.

Only you know if university is right for you. The thing is, if you do not go, what will you do? Take a year out and re-apply?

York is a good university, as is Manchester. Both offer good career prospects. Indeed, both are equal to Exeter. It's just poor luck that Exeter rejected you whereas York and Manchester made you offers.

If I had to choose, I'd opt for York probably. It is a good university, with a strong reputation, especially in economics.

As for being able to do the same job an economics graduate can as say a history or science graduate, true, but this is true of every degree in the UK. Over 60% over jobs have no preferred degree type. It is all about the transferable skills you learn.

I chose economics because I knew I wanted to do a Masters and a PhD in it, whereas I couldn't do that from a law or science degree, for example.
Reply 3
Original post by senz72
Hi everyone,

I plan to do an economics degree which is also another concern. Something I've realised is that the jobs that most economists get into, have quite a few people with other degrees which has caused me to question what's the point of an economics degree if you can do a science and get into the same type of jobs whilst opening even more doors.

Thanks in advance.

Your obviously smart with getting offers from 3 great universities! What AS grades did you get ? :s-smilie:
Like the chap said, degrees teach many transferable skills such as analytical which means a history graduate could let's say get into Law.

Economics is a solid degree, and no good comparing yourself it only makes you feel worse and is irrevelant.
Have you searched the course details and social life of each uni? Only you can really judge this though Manchester and York are highly regarded but City is good as well!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Anyone else?
Original post by Jkizer
Your obviously smart with getting offers from 3 great universities! What AS grades did you get ? :s-smilie:
Like the chap said, degrees teach many transferable skills such as analytical which means a history graduate could let's say get into Law.

Economics is a solid degree, and no good comparing yourself it only makes you feel worse and is irrevelant.
Have you searched the course details and social life of each uni? Only you can really judge this though Manchester and York are highly regarded but City is good as well!

Posted from TSR Mobile

And you obviously aren't smart

grades to not necessarily mean intelligence
Reply 6
Original post by Jkizer

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got 2As and 2Bs. :/ Not very good to be fair!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending