The Student Room Group

The pill - going against gp's advice?

I've always had kind of annoying/uncomfortable period cramps that went away with pcetamol but in the last couple years they have been really painful. Tried feminax and heated pads and all that. No effect.
I went to the GP and she gave me mefenamic (sp?) acid and that worked really well until a few months ago. Boxing Day I was lying in bed for most of the day, crying and sweating and feeling physically sick and nauseated and I was actually sent home from school recently because I was in so much pain.
Went to GP again and she recommended I try the pill (combined pill?) as it helps pains but she asked if I have a family history of cancer, which I do (mum had breast cancer about 10 years ago, not genetic type) and she said she could not prescribe that type of pill for me because of this. Other bc pills apparently do not help.

I don't know what to do. Nothing helps with my cramps and they are honestly unbearable (not normally a wuss at all, but I can't do anything but lay in the fetal position and cry..). I know the GP is qualified and refused to write a prescription for good reason, and I don't want cancer (period pain obviously > cancer), the pain is only for a couple of days and I may well grow out of it in a few years.
But on the other hand it gets in the way of my life for those couple of days, what if I have awful cramps during an exam? At work? I'm debating whether or not I should go to a sexual health clinic and get the pill there..and not mentioning my mum. It probably sounds stupid but the pain just drives me crazy.
Can someone help me if they've ever had this experience or if they think I definitely shouldn't try out the pill?
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Have you ever tried Cerazette?
It's a mini-pill and my periods are 1000000000000 times better since taking it. No cramps, light flow.
And it was given to me because my Mum had breast cancer too, so she couldn't give me the normal pill.
Reply 2
Original post by coco_madem0iselle
I've always had kind of annoying/uncomfortable period cramps that went away with pcetamol but in the last couple years they have been really painful. Tried feminax and heated pads and all that. No effect.
I went to the GP and she gave me mefenamic (sp?) acid and that worked really well until a few months ago. Boxing Day I was lying in bed for most of the day, crying and sweating and feeling physically sick and nauseated and I was actually sent home from school recently because I was in so much pain.
Went to GP again and she recommended I try the pill (combined pill?) as it helps pains but she asked if I have a family history of cancer, which I do (mum had breast cancer about 10 years ago, not genetic type) and she said she could not prescribe that type of pill for me because of this. Other bc pills apparently do not help.

I don't know what to do. Nothing helps with my cramps and they are honestly unbearable (not normally a wuss at all, but I can't do anything but lay in the fetal position and cry..). I know the GP is qualified and refused to write a prescription for good reason, and I don't want cancer (period pain obviously > cancer), the pain is only for a couple of days and I may well grow out of it in a few years.
But on the other hand it gets in the way of my life for those couple of days, what if I have awful cramps during an exam? At work? I'm debating whether or not I should go to a sexual health clinic and get the pill there..and not mentioning my mum. It probably sounds stupid but the pain just drives me crazy.
Can someone help me if they've ever had this experience or if they think I definitely shouldn't try out the pill?
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

:hugs:

Get the Mirena. I had the pill for a while but it gives me migraines. I have endometriosis which causes really horrible painful periods I have to take tramadol and prescription cocodamol at the maximum dose just to get through it. Mirena is great, once it's in you can forget about it and it helps with the pain and it causes your periods to stop or lessen! I haven't had a period since I had it, and have had pretty much no pain apart from a couple of cramps for the first couple of weeks but nothing like a regular cramp. I'd recommend it to anyone
(edited 11 years ago)

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, I went through this and they gave me stronger and stronger painkillers and they just didn't work, I went on the pill ( microgynon) and it helped for a few moths and now it's the same even though I'm on the pill! :confused: They're testing me for endometriosis now, have they done any tests on you to see why they're so painful? Could be that there is something wrong.
I'd definitely recommend cerezette :smile:

I used to get a lot of pain and literally have NONE now!
You could try a progesterone only pill like Cerzette, that's what I take, as I think it's only the oestrogen that is linked to the increased risk of breast cancer. I too had super painful periods to the point where I'd have to spend two days doing nothing, and one of those two days being sick. Now I don't have periods at all (although this isn't a guaranteed side effect)!
Thank you so much everyone <3
I'll go back and see my GP next week!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you so much everyone <3
I'll go back and see my GP next week!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd recommend the Mirena, how old are you?
Tried diclofenac?
I had the same thing, super painful, super heavy periods and also got perscribesd mefanic acid. Like you say it worked amazingly for a while but I also became resistant to it. Going on the pill didnt help me, infact I got a side effect where I got raw patches on my cervix and then bled all the time with pain (lame to the max I had to have a very aukward procedure to quatersize them) however! I then swapped to the patch which apparently has different levels of hormone and because you wear it all the time, releases it differently. This has lessened the heavy periods a bit but to be honest what I do to avoid being incapacitated all day is alternate between paracetamol and mefanic acid (as in for each period), pile on hot water bottles and if I can take some sleeping pills and sleep for as long as possible untill the pain goes away!

However if I were you I would also ask to see another doctor as before all of the above my doctor sent me for an ultrasound to check for polysistic ovaries. They also insisted on doing STD tests but then they always do for any kind of down there stuff because they assume all people our age must have loads of unprotected sex.

Anyway I hope things improve. Try the alternating thing, I hope you find somthing that works.
Reply 9
Confused here. My mum had breast cancer too, about 10 years ago (more like 5 when I got the pill). I told the lady at the clinic this when I first got the pill and she went away and checked something then said I could have the combined pill. My doctors have also given it me before. I just find it easier to go to the clinic.

Whenever I have had to register though, I have lied about it and just said no to family members with cancer, because I am aware they may say no, and it is the only one that agrees with me (tried the POP).
Original post by beccagood95
It's a mini-pill and my periods are 1000000000000 times better since taking it. No cramps, light flow.
And it was given to me because my Mum had breast cancer too, so she couldn't give me the normal pill.

This. I've been on cerazette for 5 years now and since I started taking it ive hardly had periods at all, let alone the pain that went with them. The only inconvenience is you have to be prepared all the time, or be caught unprepared, as you don't really know when you're gonna have a period.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Beckyweck
This. I've been on cerazette for 5 years now and since I started taking it ive hardly had periods at all, let alone the pain that went with them. The only inconvenience is you have to be prepared all the time, or be caught unprepared, as you don't really know when you're gonna have a period.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't have them at all, except occasionally a bit of spotting if I miss a pill (and even then I have to forget up until the time to take the next one, I can be 16 hours late and still not get any spotting, even though I don't have any pregnancy protection at that point). But if you put a sanitary towel and/or a tampon in your bag at all times then it's not too bad, and gives you enough time to either get home or get to a shop and get some. Suppose it'd be a pain if you were sat there not knowing if it was your period or not (depends how heavy).

Are there no patterns at all? Have to tried charting it?
Reply 12
Hormonal IUSs (Mirena) >>> the pill in virtually every way. Vast majority of women find it greatly helps their periods/stops them. Why any woman would choose to have anything else completely baffles me.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by nexttime
Hormonal IUSs (Mirena) >>> the pill in virtually every way. Vast majority of women find it greatly helps their periods/stops them. Why any woman would choose to have anything else completely baffles me.

Because when my mum first got her Mirena she had constant bleeding for 6 months, whereas my POP stopped my periods straight away.

Original post by minimarshmallow
Because when my mum first got her Mirena she had constant bleeding for 6 months, whereas my POP stopped my periods straight away.

Different things suit different people but I have to agree with the Mirena. I have one and it's great, I have endometriosis and before it was in so much pain I'd have to have cocodamol 30/500 mgs, tramadol, buccostem and an NSAID at the same time. I'd also be passing out from blood loss. Since having it I've had no periods. No periods, no pain. I only spotted for a month, and it was pretty light so didn't bother me. I also have no side effects from this. So it doesn't do that to everyone. Also there's no way I can mess it up or forget it, which is awesome.

I'm just sticking this here so OP can see advantages if they decide to go with it, as different things work for different people and Mirena seems to be something most people don't think about or realise is available.
Reply 15
Original post by minimarshmallow

Doesn't mean it wouldn't work for you though, and a pill is far less effective, is far more effort and has far more side-effects.

Each individual needs to decide what's right for them - sometimes there are cases where people try the coil and it isn't the best. However, if you need a new form of contraception and need to decide between them... IUDs are just hands down the best.
Reply 16
Doesn't mean it wouldn't work for you though, and a pill is far less effective, is far more effort and has far more side-effects.

Each individual needs to decide what's right for them - sometimes there are cases where people try the coil and it isn't the best. However, if you need a new form of contraception and need to decide between them... IUDs are just hands down the best.

You're missing the main reason most women don't want coils...the pain of inserting/removing it. My GP doesn't recommend it to women who haven't given birth because of this. Also, you can't just stop taking it like you can with the pill. It's more permanent, and a lot of women don't like that.
Original post by bananaa
You're missing the main reason most women don't want coils...the pain of inserting/removing it. My GP doesn't recommend it to women who haven't given birth because of this. Also, you can't just stop taking it like you can with the pill. It's more permanent, and a lot of women don't like that.

I feel I should point this out. I had one put in, I'm 18 and haven't given birth. I was really scared because of reviews saying things like "IT'S MORE PAINFUL THAN CHILDBIRTH!!!!!" and "I NEARLY PASSED OUT". In all honesty, I hardly felt anything. A couple of mild twinges, like a really really really mild menstrual cramp. I'd give it a 2/10, a blood test hurts more than that. Having your blood pressure taken hurts a hell of a lot more than coil insertion!

I think the pain is usually if you have something like a titled uterus or a cervix that is refusing to open. In most cases, it's not that bad. If it was, people wouldn't have it
Reply 18
Original post by bananaa

People are influenced by scare stories. Plus the word 'coil' alone puts thousands of women off IUDs, even though Mirena doesn't even have any metal on it.

I saw a couple being put into nullips - they didn't seem too uncomfortable. Plus remember that its once every 5 years.

Its not 'permanent' - you can stop it whenever you want and be fully fertile (unlike the depot injection). It just doesn't require renewal, which is a good thing.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by beccagood95

On the other hand, OP, Cerazette was the worst decision I have ever made in my life. It made me a complete wreck (I cried non-stop for days on end) and have me a migraine with aura every day for the 10 days I took it (when normally I get them once every two months or so). I became paranoid my partner didn't love me any more and made me incredibly depressed.

The mini-pill isn't for everyone :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest