The Student Room Group

Boston bombing: the real problem

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gagaslilmonsteruk
Why are you tarring all muslims with the same brush? Not all Muslims are terrorists. I mean the UK lived under threat (and still in NI to an extent now) of the IRA for decades - does that affect our relationship with Irish people? No. Because we know the majority of Irish are decent people like us who are as equally disgusted as we are with that type of behaviour - the same goes for Muslims. In fact, whilst a lot of recent atrocities have been committed by Muslims; 9/11, 7/7, 11/3 (I think that was the Madrid Date), the media is only exacerbating the divide by blaming them for all evil things, a lot which do not involve them. The media should be a tool which is used to bring communities, nations and people of all different lifestyles together, not tear us all apart. Anyway, did you not know that within America there is a lot of political division? Particularly around some of the new laws Obama is trying to introduce (laws which I would support if I were American) such as Gay marriage.

What 'things' has the mainstream media wrongly blamed on Muslims, out of interest.
Personally I think terrorism is nowadays much more likely to be domestic than in 2001, for example. The world has totally changed.
Original post by Thewildwun
That article is disgusting! I hate that every time 'terrorism' is used everyone immediately assumes its Muslims. For all we know this could have been done by Christians or Jews! The media just wants us to being that this is the doing of Muslims. We should be ignoring that sh*t

Posted from TSR Mobile

I immensely agree with you mate!!!!!
Reply 63
Obama is a bigger terrorist than whoever bombed this marathon
Original post by Sarah-Jane-mee
I immensely agree with you mate!!!!!

Do people like you get mad when people play the race card and throw the word racist about. I bet you don't. I'll also guarentee you have more prolem with those peolle than terrorists who want to kill us.
Original post by gagaslilmonsteruk
Why are you tarring all muslims with the same brush? Not all Muslims are terrorists. I mean the UK lived under threat (and still in NI to an extent now) of the IRA for decades - does that affect our relationship with Irish people? No. Because we know the majority of Irish are decent people like us who are as equally disgusted as we are with that type of behaviour - the same goes for Muslims. In fact, whilst a lot of recent atrocities have been committed by Muslims; 9/11, 7/7, 11/3 (I think that was the Madrid Date), the media is only exacerbating the divide by blaming them for all evil things, a lot which do not involve them. The media should be a tool which is used to bring communities, nations and people of all different lifestyles together, not tear us all apart. Anyway, did you not know that within America there is a lot of political division? Particularly around some of the new laws Obama is trying to introduce (laws which I would support if I were American) such as Gay marriage.

That's not what they were implying. There is a different between saying "all terrorists are Muslims" and "all Muslims are terrorists" for a start. And what they said was "its most likely to be Muslims".

And it's true. Not because terrorists are Muslims, but because it was a terrorist attack on america, with no clear political context. Most american extremist groups do not use bombs as a go-to tactic, and to best of my knowledge the marathon had nothing to do with abortions. A Muslim group is the most likely suspect, the 'bombs in public places' is a trademark tactic. If it was a pub, club or car in the UK, you would probably suspect the IRA. It's the same principle.

It could be another group, but Islamic remains a sensible possibility.
Reply 66
People are speculating that it was muslim extremists because they have a record for it. That isn't discrimination. That is using common sense; something the left have clearly replaced with political correctness.
If it turns out to be a white, right-wing lone wolf - prepare yourself for the Guardian and other lefty papers rubbing their hands in glee as they spout 'we told you so!!!!!!1111', even though the vast majority of people have not come to any solid conclusion on the perpetrator but have (reasonably) suspected Islamism as a potential suspect.
Reply 68
Original post by Barksy
People are speculating that it was muslim extremists because they have a record for it. That isn't discrimination. That is using common sense; something the left have clearly replaced with political correctness.

No, you just don't know the definition of discrimination. Back to school.

Original post by HouseLannister
If it turns out to be a white, right-wing lone wolf - prepare yourself for the Guardian and other lefty papers rubbing their hands in glee as they spout 'we told you so!!!!!!1111', even though the vast majority of people have not come to any solid conclusion on the perpetrator but have (reasonably) suspected Islamism as a potential suspect.

Blah blah blah

And id it does turn out to be a muzzie expect the right to start saying how we can't let the muzzie continue to silence us. BRING BACK THE FIGHT ON ISLAMOFASCISM!!!!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by tehforum
I didn't say it was right wing to be angry at a group. I said its wrong for mainly right wing newspapers to assume or to imply that the attacks were carried out by Muslims. There is no basis on fact. Newspapers and their editors should not rely on "rational thinking" - correlation does not equal causation. Once the facts are out, and if it did turn out to be Muslim attackers, then by all mean, spout your respective views on how Muslims are to blame.

Can you provide evidence of prominent right-wing mainstream media sources that have automatically linked the atrocity of Boston to a Muslim terrorist group? From what I can see it seems to be the more left wing papers that are quick to link the two together, only it is disguised by the fact they shout from the hills that "you shouldn't blame all Muslims!!!". The ironic part is I don't think any right wing group has blamed Islamic terrorist groups as of yet.
Original post by iamgreatness
statistics mean little at the moment? ok, i'd like you to implement that theory for everything.

if a guy at college was known to steal bags from the changing rooms, got caught several times, and then after a while bags went missing from the changing rooms, we would be right in saying it is likely to be him. This is not scaremongering or scapegoating. same applied to muslims, but they dont steal bags.

That is a pretty poor example. If it was one guy stealing bags on a college campus then yeah that might work however when you are talking about a group whose population numbers in the millions, when something happens and the first you do is say "it was probably a Muslim" then you are putting the blame on them before you even know for sure any Muslim had anything to do with it. Instead of blaming Muslims straight off the cuff why not actually wait and see if they catch anyone first and then (if it even matters) was religion or race said person(s) are?
It is a form of scaremongering. It just takes a small amount of people blaming one group for mass stereotypes and hysteria to ensure, leading a blame culture and an automatic scapegoating of that culture or religion regardless of whether or not people from that group are responsible.

Original post by slickrick666999
This the exact problem. Anybody who has a differing opinion to the left's is discreditted completely by the abuse of terminology like 'racism'. It still supirses me that people take that word seriously nowadays.

In class today my friend spoke about how most serial killers were white, and he would expect the future serial killers to be white. Nobody batted an eyelid. When I began to speak about religious extremism and Islam. Everybody's tune turned and they began challenging my statements. :confused: discussing Islam/Muslims always draws the angriest reaction.

http://www.christian.org.uk/news/well-mock-jesus-but-not-mohammed-says-bbc-boss/

The BBC has even admitted that they'll offend Christians, but not Muslims.

Nice try but I haven't used the term "racist." I have however warned about assuming before any details have been revealed and before we know anything concrete about those responsible.
It's a pretty overused and poor tactic to dismiss those who don't like baseless blaming as lefties using the race card.
Original post by Barksy

No it's an assumption based on little at this time. Little except preconceived notions that that Muslims are the boogeymen of today.
Reply 72
Original post by 419
No, you just don't know the definition of discrimination. Back to school.

Instead of being a typical anal liberal, try offering a sufficient rebuttal.
Reply 73
Original post by thunder_chunky
No it's an assumption based on little at this time. Little except preconceived notions that that Muslims are the boogeymen of today.

What is wrong with assuming a particular group did it, given the history?

I'm not outright claiming it was Muslims. I'm just saying that assuming they did it isn't some form of evil bigotry like many on here are suggesting. It is understandable.
It was probably just some nutter.

The US has plenty of motiveless violent crimes in recent times, this will just be another one of those.
Original post by Barksy
What is wrong with assuming a particular group did it, given the history?

I'm not outright claiming it was Muslims. I'm just saying that assuming they did it isn't some form of evil bigotry like many on here are suggesting. It is understandable.

Statistics mean little when nothing yet indicates it was the work of Muslim extremists. You could say it was the fault of Muslims but you are basing that on...well nothing. It's about as useful and credible as me blaming alcoholic unicorns. You did well to gloss over the important part of my point which is that if people started blaming Muslims every single time don't you think the Islamic community might get a little bored of being blamed whether Islamic extremists are to blame or not?
Reply 76
Original post by Barksy
Instead of being a typical anal liberal, try offering a sufficient rebuttal.

Because, what's the point of rebutting a stupid thing.

Again, go learn the meaning of discrimination before spotuing out stupid discriminatory idiom as 'common sense'.

And what makes you think I'm a liberal? Nothing liberal about what I've said.
Reply 77
a bombing in usa is more than likely to have come from one of two sources - rightwing/militia type organisations or islamists. Everyone knows this, even the guardian the fragments of a the pressure cooker type bombs filled with ball bearings and nails are similar to the types used by al queda in afganistan, which i beelve is the line of thought being followed now regarding boston.
Reply 78
Original post by GPODT
Obama is a bigger terrorist than whoever bombed this marathon
yes, and also his name sounds like "a bomba" .... :rolleyes:
Original post by FCI
yes, and also his name sounds like "a bomba" .... :rolleyes:

And he's brown. The evidence just keeps on stacking up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending