The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 600
Original post by Zazuwaved
My biology teachers compiled a list of the questions from the previous papers I am going to try and copy some of them tomorrow and I will try to upload them. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much!
Reply 601
Hey guys how is everyone revising? I am trying not to write notes and just trying to do saq's and practice questions...but I really want to write notes as it sticks in my head better :frown:
Some one please give me some advice thank you :smile:
Original post by V95
you could talk about the menstrual cycle aswell

Yup, forgot about that! :^_^:

Original post by Weirdo225
Is there anything that's AS related that you could write?

Original post by evan almighty
The only one I can think from the top of my head is Immune response

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by James A
The 25 marker questions are designed to test you on how well you can link biology knowledge together, so there has to be some AS topics you could talk about.

You could talk about the immune response, something along the lines of more antibodies being secreted, hence more pathogen/antigen gets destroyed. Something along the lines :s-smilie:

Don't worry too much about AS linking since these questions came from quite a while back, when the spec might've been slightly different. I searched up online, there's this hormone called Erythopoiesis, which is in the kidneys that signals the bone marrow to produce red blood cells when there's not enough oxygen in the body.

Apparently that wasn't for some weird reason I had seemed to think so too, seems a bit obvious as well, but its supposed to be something to do with the fact that its just a 'defense mechanism'. so long as the case can be justified i guess. :confused:

Osmotic effect too.

What about refractory period, do reckon that'd probably be one?
Original post by Zazuwaved
Yup, forgot about that! :^_^:

Don't worry too much about AS linking since these questions came from quite a while back, when the spec might've been slightly different. I searched up online, there's this hormone called Erythopoiesis, which is in the kidneys that signals the bone marrow to produce red blood cells when there's not enough oxygen in the body.

Apparently that wasn't for some weird reason I had seemed to think so too, seems a bit obvious as well, but its supposed to be something to do with the fact that its just a 'defense mechanism'. so long as the case can be justified i guess. :confused:

Osmotic effect too.

What about refractory period, do reckon that'd probably be one?

Strictly speaking, negative feedback is where an increase in one variable causes a decreases in another variable. Maybe variable, ain't the correct word, but you get the idea, right?

I dunno about refractory period, I personally would try to go for another topic, because you get marks for essay breadth, they want you to chose something from each unit (ideally)
Reply 604
Original post by James A
Definetly buy it, you still have time to read over it. The exam is in two months time.

ok thank you! btw how do you revise for the hsw qs?? i find them really hard and got a B in jan because of it:frown: so retaking biol 4 :frown:
Original post by emah123
ok thank you! btw how do you revise for the hsw qs?? i find them really hard and got a B in jan because of it:frown: so retaking biol 4 :frown:

If you can, try and go through some ISA questions. That's a good way of practicing HSW questions.

Learn how to answer 'evaluate' questions. You have to give a for and against view. Generally more against than for.

The answers tend to be like, 'not tested for long enough', 'small sample size' etc.
I need to do quite a bit of revision of the AS topics. I've never done a resit of any of those modules so I haven't looked at them in a while. I no longer have an AS textbook, I had to give mine back to the school library as per the rules at my school. I'll probably buy another, which would people recommend? A revision guide-style one would probably be fine, it's not like I'm learning everything from scratch (I have all of my notes in a box as well). Needs to be relatively cheap though :colondollar:
Original post by Where'sPerry?
I need to do quite a bit of revision of the AS topics. I've never done a resit of any of those modules so I haven't looked at them in a while. I no longer have an AS textbook, I had to give mine back to the school library as per the rules at my school. I'll probably buy another, which would people recommend? A revision guide-style one would probably be fine, it's not like I'm learning everything from scratch; needs to be relatively cheap though :colondollar:

Are you the person from the learner driving thread??

Hmm, you could try amazon, get a used copy of the cgp book?
Original post by James A
Are you the person from the learner driving thread??

Hmm, you could try amazon, get a used copy of the cgp book?

Yes I am, I'm the one who had a bad experience and changed instructors :colondollar:

Cheers, I'll try there! My friend has the CGP A2 book and that's pretty good so I'd be happy using that.
Reply 609
Original post by nyans
These are the questions. You choose one of the following:A. The importance of shapes fitting together in cells and organisms.orB. How bacteria can affect the lives of humans and other organisms.
How sure are you that these are the real questions for this year's Unit 5?Cheers
Original post by Hyina24
How sure are you that these are the real questions for this year's Unit 5?Cheers

They are the questions from last years paper (June 2012) not this years (June 2013).
Reply 611
Has anyone done the A2 EMPA on photosynthesis?
Reply 612
Original post by rommy123
Has anyone done the A2 EMPA on photosynthesis?

Oh I thought the EMPAs were all done on the same day?
Reply 613
Original post by erniiee
Oh I thought the EMPAs were all done on the same day?

Nope they are not, it depends on when your school decides to do them
Reply 614
Original post by rommy123
Nope they are not, it depends on when your school decides to do them

Oh I see! LOL our head of department is changing to EMPAs because she thinks they are all done on the same day nationally so there is less "cheating"..poor her
Reply 615
I have sat the A2 ISA papers and not done too well. I got 33/50 on the highest scoring one. I was wondering whether I should do the Empa instead. I have never done the Empa before and so was wondering whether it is hard or not and if I should enter myself for it. Also, would it matter if I have ISA submitted for AS which I resat this year and for A2 an Empa which would be submitted this year
Reply 616
Original post by Farid1
I have sat the A2 ISA papers and not done too well. I got 33/50 on the highest scoring one. I was wondering whether I should do the Empa instead. I have never done the Empa before and so was wondering whether it is hard or not and if I should enter myself for it. Also, would it matter if I have ISA submitted for AS which I resat this year and for A2 an Empa which would be submitted this year

you won't be able to enter for the A2 EMPA because you've already done the A2 ISA
Reply 617
Original post by V95
you won't be able to enter for the A2 EMPA because you've already done the A2 ISA

As long as the A2 ISA has not been submitted you can do the Empa
anyone done a mock ? If so what sort of marks have peeps been getting?
Anybody got any good sources for further reading? or any methods to pick what to further read? For the essay Of course.

Theres so many things that could be asked and so many things that could be further read, not sure how to go about it :/
(edited 11 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending