The Student Room Group

BREAKING: Reports of multiple explosions at Boston Marathon leaving dozens wounded.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 419
Just shows how terrible new reporting in US is. Sad state of affairs.

FBI says they haven't.

Just checked, you're right.

Looks like these journalists are making stuff up.
Reply 541
Original post by Fullofsurprises
No, they're just reporting what they hear from credible sources - it was the source that was confused apparently.
http://edition.cnn.com/2013/04/17/us/boston-blasts/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

If this was the first time, I'd excuse them. If they weren't too busy trying to jump everyone to the bullet and more worried about reporting facts, they wouldn't have made the mistake. I've long lost faith in CNN.

The AP aren't looking too good either.
Original post by ESPORTIVA
Just checked, you're right.

Looks like these journalists are making stuff up.

Except they aren't, they are reporting what appear to be credible sources.
Original post by 419
If this was the first time, I'd excuse them. If they weren't too busy trying to jump everyone to the bullet and more worried about reporting facts, they wouldn't have made the mistake. Notice how they're I've long lost faith in CNN.

The AP aren't looking too good either.

The first time generally or the first time in this story? If you meant generally, every news organisation is prone to it. If you meant this story, it isn't surprising that any of the majors come out with errors, it's a big, fast-moving picture.
Except they aren't, they are reporting what appear to be credible sources.

Doesn't look like they had a credible source to me.
They are all reporting the exact same stuff. Every source was reporting an arrest. They are all working off the same stuff, all having people camping out at every gov agency. They are going to report anything they hear, that is the way live news works. If you wait for confirmation of everything, its no longer live.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 546
The first time generally or the first time in this story? If you meant generally, every news organisation is prone to it. If you meant this story, it isn't surprising that any of the majors come out with errors, it's a big, fast-moving picture.

I meant this isn't the first time CNN have got it remarkably wrong. The Newtown shooting is an extremely egregious one where not only did they accuse the wrong brother, they used his pictures iand also posted link to his facebook account. New reporting can't get more rock bottom than that if you tried.

Their explanation does sounds like they're trying to save face.
Reply 547
Original post by doggyfizzel
They are all reporting the exact same stuff. Every source was reporting an arrest. They are all working off the same stuff, all having people camping out at every gov agency. They are going to report anything they hear, that is the way live news works. If you wait for confirmation of everything, its no longer live.

Only CNN (and The AP) were reporting the arrest. CBS and NBC reported it was lies.
Original post by 419
Only CNN (and The AP) were reporting the arrest. CBS and NBC reported it was lies.

We should wait and see - the BBC have just reported that the source is sticking to his story and an FBI press conference is imminent.
Reply 549
Why is suddenly everyone only going crazy over this? What about that bomb blast in Middle east that killed 15 people that day? Or many people being burned in Burma a few weeks before. Every lives should be equal. Not fair to only emphasise on developed nations.
These are some dangerous reports if they can cause death.
Original post by 419
I meant this isn't the first time CNN have got it remarkably wrong. The Newtown shooting is an extremely egregious one where not only did they accuse the wrong brother, they used his pictures iand also posted link to his facebook account. New reporting can't get more rock bottom than that if you tried.

Their explanation does sounds like they're trying to save face.

It actually does seem as though the police have been keeping arrests and searches under their hat, and denying them when they have been taking place.

The fact that the federal courthouse has been evacuated probably means they're about to arraign a suspect
Original post by pyaesone
Why is suddenly everyone only going crazy over this? What about that bomb blast in Middle east that killed 15 people that day? Or many people being burned in Burma a few weeks before. Every lives should be equal. Not fair to only emphasise on developed nations.

So you're saying that because many people don't pay attention to certain events in other countries, that it's illegitimate for them to care about this?

And frankly, it is entirely justifiable that people are more interested in an event that has taken place in a country that is as close as family when it comes to international relations... our shared language, culture, our extremely close military and intelligence alliance, and so on.

Who are you to tell people what they must care about?
Original post by ESPORTIVA
Doesn't look like they had a credible source to me.

Who was their source? You don't know, you're just speculating.

You'll have to eat your hat if they turn out to be right
Reply 554
We should wait and see - the BBC have just reported that the source is sticking to his story and an FBI press conference is imminent.

Interesting. Why are CNN pulling the story then?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by MattKneale
Does look very similar, but let's not get carried away given that certain bags are popular and this is a very populous event!

I've also seen three other of these "bag matching" suspect pictures, too. I suggest people watch this 6-minute documentary on Umbrella man:
Original post by 419
Interesting. Why are CNN pulling the story then.
They had an interview with a livesource in Washington, who said he has 3 solid high level sources saying it wasn't true. I'm just flicking between the news channels.
Reply 557
Original post by AlexandrTheGreat
So you're saying that because many people don't pay attention to certain events in other countries, that it's illegitimate for them to care about this?

And frankly, it is entirely justifiable that people are more interested in an event that has taken place in a country that is as close as family when it comes to international relations... our shared language, culture, our extremely close military and intelligence alliance, and so on.

Who are you to tell people what they must care about?

Oh and don't forget that a country that mocks when you use British English.
Original post by 419
Interesting. Why are CNN pulling the story then?

From all the coverage, it sounds as if a clear suspect has been identified and apprehended but not charged yet, but no doubt all will become clear soon.
Original post by pyaesone
Oh and don't forget that a country that mocks when you use British English.

Sorry... are you saying that's a reason not to care about what happened in Boston?

Also, you are clearly not very familiar with the US. They tend to actually quite like British accents, hence loads of Brits work in television in the US

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending