The Student Room Group

Birthday paradox - Try this out

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
21st October :smile:
Haven't seem my birthday buddy on here yet though I know some in real life!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by yarshad
13th December ((((:

Mine too! :biggrin:
Reply 162
Original post by Artymess
12th of July :cute:

Birthday friend!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah, parents banging during the festive seasons. A story as old as time itself :biggrin:
1st June :smile:
14th November!
Reply 166
Original post by Anythingoo1
Wow you're very close to the leap year date (unless you weren't born in a leap year)

22nd of February here

I was born on 28th February and people always say to me 'oooh, you're lucky you weren't born a day later...' and I'm like, 'what's wrong with the 1st of March?'.
The paradox is that there is a wide assumption that there is always a 1 in 365 chance of people sharing a birthday. And so if you were to gather 57 people and open up bets on at least one pair of people sharing a birthday, you should always bet on it, because 99% of the time, it happens, and indeed it happened here.

The birthday paradox was taught to me as part of my Statistics module in AS Level maths, using it to understand Permutations.

The idea is to think about it as the amount of pairs of people can be made, and to remind yourself that each pair has a 1/365 chance of sharing the same birthday.

So here's the maths:
Assuming there are 5757 people
and there are 365365 days in a year (For simplicity, we ignore leap years and twins etc.)
The amount of pairs is found by No.ofPeople(No.ofPeople1)257(56)2=1,596\dfrac{No. of People * (No. of People - 1)}{2} \rightarrow \dfrac{57*(56)}{2} = 1,596
The chance of All of the pairs having different birthdays is equal to (11365)no.ofpairs=(364365)1596=0.0125428616[size="2"]23[/size][br]andthechanceofthepairssharingthesamebirthdayisequalto[latex]10.01254[/latex][br]whichis[br][latex]0.987457[/latex][br]which,whendisplayedasapercentageis[br][latex]0.98746100=98.7[/latex][size="4"](1-\dfrac{1}{365})^no. of pairs = (\dfrac{364}{365})^1596= 0.0125428616[size="2"]23[/size] [br]and the chance of the pairs sharing the same birthday is equal to [latex]1-0.01254[/latex][br]which is[br][latex]0.987457[/latex][br]which, when displayed as a percentage is[br][latex]0.98746 * 100 = 98.7[/latex][size="4"]%[/size] or: [size="7"]99%[/size] to 2 sig figs.[br][br]Hopefully that is moderately clear maths, sorry if not!
(edited 11 years ago)
21st July
15th January
Haven't seen anyone with 26th June....anyone? :biggrin:
Original post by gomg
4th August

Snap!
25th February
1st January. My girlfriend's birthday is also 1st January.
Reply 174
Hrm. 23 Feb is sure proving to be elusive... :colonhash:
Original post by Luxray
I have to say this paradox is quite intriguing
For the record I'm 23rd August

u were born on results day!
Original post by notchip
I was born on 28th February and people always say to me 'oooh, you're lucky you weren't born a day later...' and I'm like, 'what's wrong with the 1st of March?'.

Well, it is March :nooo:

Seriously though, I don't know why people would say that, I wouldn't personally if I met you, and there is nothing wrong with March as far as I can tell?
6th December anyone? xx
Original post by shadowdweller
Also 12th April :tongue:

I know loads of people with your birthday!
Reply 179
Original post by Anythingoo1
Well, it is March :nooo:

Seriously though, I don't know why people would say that, I wouldn't personally if I met you, and there is nothing wrong with March as far as I can tell?

Nah, there's nothing wrong with March. I'm normally just being obtuse because they always assume I'd have been born in a leap year, when they'd have more chance of being wrong about that than they would right.

Quick Reply

Latest