The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EduWiz
Hmmm still an A

which ISA and what was it out of?
Original post by Bluffroom
Dude it's not about the passing which pissed everyone off, they upped the grade boundary by 15 for everything on a hard paper - a lot of teachers saying it was the hardest paper in a long time too. The boundaries was upped because of external pressure to do so. I still got a high B but if the boundary hadn't moved I would have had a high A if not an A*. To actually do the resit though I have had to effectively redo the entire course - because the GCSE was done, so no I didn't get a resit - I resat the course. It was unfair as it made an A* unattainable for people who should have got one - 2 people out of 300 people got one at my school - 40 people got one the year before.

Before you criticise us I want to see your June 2012 GCSE English Language A*.

Our school offers 1 resit for some subjects - most you don't get to do. The only reason I get to do science ones and English ones is because we do language a year in advance, we do ISAs very early and there are 3 papers you can do each year.

Woah, Ok I wasn't aware it was that bad. Our exam board only changes the grade boundaries by 10 or so, never 15. I feel bad for calling you out that now, surely, it wasn't the whole course just a few extra bits of information right?

And no I'm afraid that I can't show you that A* as the scottish system is completely different. To get an A/A* you sit a harder exam and to get a B/C you sit another exam this time it's one that everyone does. For those working at an even lower level, you sit an easier test where you can only get D/E. We usually sit two of the above for each subject.
How do you do it? :emo:
I was out of the red for like 20 minutes but I think I'm back in it again :angry:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by techno836
............. more like one month of turning up to school longer than everyone else :L

Why can't you just revise at home?
I've neglected my portfolio today, (damn revision) so still in the red..
Reply 4425
wow the maths grade boundaries for march went up by around 15 marks! (November 46/200 for a C, March 63/200 for a C) :redface: glad I didn't resit
Reply 4426
Original post by gomg
wow the maths grade boundaries for march went up by around 15 marks! (November 46/200 for a C, March 63/200 for a C) :redface: glad I didn't resit

The exam sat in March was waa-hay easier!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Woah, Ok I wasn't aware it was that bad. Our exam board only changes the grade boundaries by 10 or so, never 15. I feel bad for calling you out that now, surely, it wasn't the whole course just a few extra bits of information right?

And no I'm afraid that I can't show you that A* as the scottish system is completely different. To get an A/A* you sit a harder exam and to get a B/C you sit another exam this time it's one that everyone does. For those working at an even lower level, you sit an easier test where you can only get D/E. We usually sit two of the above for each subject.

The exam caused controversy for 2 reasons - one that it was harder than the Jan exam and the boundary didn't budge, secondly because of the outside pressure to have the boundary upped it was upped significantly after it was already marked for many people and they were remarked before being released. Compared to the english lit exam from the January 2012 exam series - for example If I got a 105 in January I would have got a solid A* - in June it was a mid-high A. That is is how significant it was.

I know your system is different I was just twining.
Ahh Here's my exams for those interested:

English Close Reading Credit
English Close Reading General
English Writing
Math Paper 1 Credit
Math Paper 2 Credit
Math Paper 1 General
Math Paper 2 General
Computing Credit
Computing General
Technological Studies Credit
Technological Studies General
Music Listening Credit
Music Listening General
French Listening Credit
French Reading Credit
French Listening General
French Reading General
Physics Credit
Physics General
Chemistry Credit
Chemistry General
(edited 11 years ago)
The exam caused controversy for 2 reasons - one that it was harder than the Jan exam and the boundary didn't budge, secondly because of the outside pressure to have the boundary upped it was upped significantly after it was already marked for many people and they were remarked before being released. Compared to the english lit exam from the January 2012 exam series - for example If I got a 105 in January I would have got a solid A* - in June it was a mid-high A. That is is how significant it was.

I know your system is different I was just twining.

Oh, I see. That's really quite unfair, especially as they had marked them prior to the boundary change.. Oh Well, life moves on, hopefully it won't hurt you too bad come results time. Sorry for my ignorance in the first post haha.
Reply 4430
Original post by gomg

Btw just to clear up... My dad isn't an examiner. LOL

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh, I see. That's really quite unfair, especially as they had marked them prior to the boundary change.. Oh Well, life moves on, hopefully it won't hurt you too bad come results time. Sorry for my ignorance in the first post haha.

Yeah it really sucked - I worked out you weren't twigged on fully but I'm not bothered. I do agree with you about the whole resit thing though - I mean either make people redo the entire course or allow ONE resit per exam which would have time to be resat.

I don't think it has hurt me.
Original post by gomg

I'm getting my Maths Unit 3 result tomorrow, thanks :frown: I'm worried now :wink:
Reply 4433
6 posts away from 600.... This is like my first week here too. -_-

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jina
6 posts away from 600.... This is like my first week here too. -_-

Posted from TSR Mobile

hahaha I've been here about 6 weeks and I've got nearly 1000! I thought I posted frequently! :O :wink: :biggrin:
Yeah it really sucked - I worked out you weren't twigged on fully but I'm not bothered. I do agree with you about the whole resit thing though - I mean either make people redo the entire course or allow ONE resit per exam which would have time to be resat.

I don't think it has hurt me.

I can imagine. This is essentially the first time I've heard about the specifics of the English system so.. haha I might have come across as not knowledgeable. It's good that it didn't affect you, hopefully you can ace the may exam and say shove it to the examiners.

Exactly, next year I take Highers (AS) and we have small module tests called NABs and they can only be retaken once. If you fail that, you fail the course. That means because we start next year in June, you can basically fail your course before you start the actual term in August. Scary, non?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by MattFletcher
hahaha I've been here about 6 weeks and I've got nearly 1000! I thought I posted frequently! :O :wink: :biggrin:

I used to frequent on a forum which I racked up nearly 2000 posts in a week... :getmecoat:
I can imagine. This is essentially the first time I've heard about the specifics of the English system so.. haha I might have come across as not knowledgeable. Exactly, next year I take Highers (AS) and we have small module tests called NABs and they can only be retaken once. If you fail that, you fail the course. That means because we start next year in June, you can basically fail your course before you start the actual term in August. Scary, non?

Fair enough really!

Ah ok that's definitely pressure on you!
Original post by EduWiz
Hmmm still an A

ok
I used to frequent on a forum which I racked up nearly 2000 posts in a week... :getmecoat:

damn. :O
Original post by Farhan96
Why can't you just revise at home?

I can but my school don't allow us to leave and sign off our lessons until we have sat the exam -.- :frown:

Latest