The Student Room Group

Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by aliceruth
haha don't worry it was an excited seriously not a mad one, yeah I thought it would be group ones, should be interesting :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Group ones should be harder though :frown: what do you think the Glasgow 2014 experience is btw?
Reply 41
Original post by tom271
Group ones should be harder though :frown: what do you think the Glasgow 2014 experience is btw?

your guess is as good as mine, but after some googling I found this page which has a video which shows you what the interviews will be like- I had no idea! Guess it's not group after all?
http://local.stv.tv/glasgow/221684-interviews-to-select-volunteers-for-2014-commonwealth-games-begin/
Reply 42
your guess is as good as mine, but after some googling I found this page which has a video which shows you what the interviews will be like- I had no idea! Guess it's not group after all?
http://local.stv.tv/glasgow/221684-interviews-to-select-volunteers-for-2014-commonwealth-games-begin/

Oh that's not what I expected at all! I've been googling London 2012 interview questions (thought they'd be similar) and found quite a few blogs, as well as threads on TSR:

"I wore a suit, but I was the only one out of the 16 in my group and the 16 in the group before me who did. Smart casual seems fine - the interviewers are in polo shirts.
It's pretty straightforward, tbh. Brief introduction and sign in, ID checked and photo taken [that'll be your ID if/when you start working] then you get 5-10 minutes to look around a little exhibition about the Olympics and the significance of Games Makers. Then a short video. Seb Coe, Tanni Grey-Thompson and Eddie Izzard talking it up and being cheesy.
After that, it's your interview. I was asked about what sports/events at the Olympics I liked the most and why, what volunteering I'd done and how this could be relevant. Whenever I'd done something that had pushed my limits, when I'd worked in high tempo/high pressure environments and then what skills I have that were relevant to the area I was being considered for. Lasted a little less than 20minutes."

"Of course, it would have been helpful if I had thought about what qualities they want in a volunteer - and that these would be the same characteristics that the Olympic movement seeks to embody. It would have helped me to prep for the interview and to have examples ready. But I didn’t. I kind of did this interview on the hop - quite unlike me.
I did my best to demonstrate with my answers my endurance, fighting spirit, love of triathlon, history of volunteering, positivity and enthusiasm, and ability to work as a part of and as a leader of teams. I drew on examples from my own participation in triathlons as well as my workplace to try to give variety and depth to my answers. It was not easy!
Some of it was expected - what is your favourite Olympic sport? Paralympic sport? When did you first start watching the Olympics? Some of it was harder - when have you gone out of your way to help a colleague or a stranger."

"The reality was I was asked a series of fairly standard "We need skill X, give an example of demonstrating that skill recently in your work or personal life" questions. So, "We need someone who can keep their head under pressure, give an example of keeping yours under pressure at work". Whereupon I pointed out that I still had my head, as could be plainly seen.... (no I didn't but you get the point!).

"This was in an open booth, divided with temporary partition walls. The interviewers were not sports specific, and my interview was very much general skills-based. They seemed to be looking to find out how you and your skills and personality fit with the various roles that they need to fill. They were very interested in any behind-the-scenes support you had done in your chosen sport; volunteering, for example. The interviewer had a fixed series of questions, a list of jobs and criteria, and they seemed to be judging me against these."

"they asked what my favourite Olympic events were, and the usual crappy interview questions like give examples of a time where you worked in a team, went the extra mile to help someone, etc. It was really informal which was good, and be sure to mention any previous employment/other volunteering you've done and how the skills you learnt from that will help you in this role"

"Name your favourite olympic sport and why
Name a time I went above what I was expected to do (can be from work, volunteering or even normal life)
Describe a time where you had to overcome a big challenge
Something related to how experienced you are with working in a team, what you bring to a team, etc.
What sort of skills you can bring to the role if you get it"
Reply 43
Original post by tom271

Thanks, that's so useful! I've been looking up London interview stuff too (great minds haha), and here's some more stuff:

"I have a role for the Olympics (Honestly wasn't expecting it I was in a group of women who were in their 30s+ who were talking about being managers and all this other funky work jargon, and I'm fresh out of 6th form and haven't had a job before lol that was my first interview)" - this makes me think there's hope! Idk about you, I used to work in a leisure centre but yeah I feel relatively unexperienced. So yay haha

"describe a time when you had to work in a team to achieve a goal.
describe a time where you overcame a challenge and how

those kinda of ques... at the end they asked you to list your skills which felt a little conceited to do tbh.

I think i definitely have the role as my interviewer was beaming and after the 'informal chat' wanted to hear more about what i do etc."

Yeah and I saw someone saying not to overdress as most people are very casual. And in a few more videos I watched they said that the key is to come across as enthusiastic, whether about sports, the commenwealth or big events- anything, just enthusiastic and passionate.
Reply 44
Thanks, that's so useful! I've been looking up London interview stuff too (great minds haha), and here's some more stuff:

"I have a role for the Olympics (Honestly wasn't expecting it I was in a group of women who were in their 30s+ who were talking about being managers and all this other funky work jargon, and I'm fresh out of 6th form and haven't had a job before lol that was my first interview)" - this makes me think there's hope! Idk about you, I used to work in a leisure centre but yeah I feel relatively unexperienced. So yay haha

"describe a time when you had to work in a team to achieve a goal.
describe a time where you overcame a challenge and how

those kinda of ques... at the end they asked you to list your skills which felt a little conceited to do tbh.

I think i definitely have the role as my interviewer was beaming and after the 'informal chat' wanted to hear more about what i do etc."

Yeah and I saw someone saying not to overdress as most people are very casual. And in a few more videos I watched they said that the key is to come across as enthusiastic, whether about sports, the commenwealth or big events- anything, just enthusiastic and passionate.

Great minds definitely :wink: and yeah haha I've only got work experience really, so that's good! I think I'll probably be quite casual in clothing, just hoping there's no ridiculously hard questions haha!
Reply 45
Original post by tom271
Great minds definitely :wink: and yeah haha I've only got work experience really, so that's good! I think I'll probably be quite casual in clothing, just hoping there's no ridiculously hard questions haha!

same! I'm gonna wear blue skinnies and a white polo shirt, hope that'll be okay.. I know, I really wanna impress them but all those questions about times you've coped in a tough situation and whatever, I'm gonna have to brain storm on the way down like craazy!
Reply 46
same! I'm gonna wear blue skinnies and a white polo shirt, hope that'll be okay.. I know, I really wanna impress them but all those questions about times you've coped in a tough situation and whatever, I'm gonna have to brain storm on the way down like craazy!

I was actually thinking the same clothing...might change the top now though :tongue: and yeah haha I'll be doing loads of preparation on the train!
Reply 47
Original post by tom271
I was actually thinking the same clothing...might change the top now though :tongue: and yeah haha I'll be doing loads of preparation on the train!

well there will be loads of people, two similar outfits can't hurt :wink: hahah if we both wear it then it can be like subliminal messaging for them like "young people are connected, stylish and enthusiastic and we must pick them" :P
Reply 48
I had my interview on Monday, I was the youngest there but had a good time speaking to new people. The interview itself was very nervy for me but I hope I did OK.
Reply 49
well there will be loads of people, two similar outfits can't hurt :wink: hahah if we both wear it then it can be like subliminal messaging for them like "young people are connected, stylish and enthusiastic and we must pick them" :P

Haha I like your thinking! and we'd at least be able to find each other :tongue:
Reply 50
Original post by ChrissyH
I had my interview on Monday, I was the youngest there but had a good time speaking to new people. The interview itself was very nervy for me but I hope I did OK.

aww care to enlighten us? What happens? What kind of questions/how should we prepare?...

Original post by tom271
Haha I like your thinking! and we'd at least be able to find each other :tongue:

yay! haha I'll be the one in white :wink:
Reply 51

Hopefully I will be able to see you then!
Are all interviews in Glasgow?
Reply 53
Original post by tom271
Hopefully I will be able to see you then!

yeah I hope so!

Original post by Homeboy Hotel
Are all interviews in Glasgow?

Yeah :smile:
Reply 54
aww care to enlighten us? What happens? What kind of questions/how should we prepare?...

Well first you sign in, then you wait for a bit before you get moved to an area where you look around and mix with your fellow volunteers. Then you get the experience part! :wink: Following this is the interview, it was very hot down there :P. There will be around 15 other interviews going on in the other booths. Most of the questions are based on the field you will be volunteering in i.e. Results Technology Services and basically what's your experience in this. Plus what inspired you to apply, what do you know about sports, examples of team work and a time when you had to help someone through something bad etc. But I'm sure you'll all be fine so don't worry like I did :smile:
Reply 55
Original post by ChrissyH
Well first you sign in, then you wait for a bit before you get moved to an area where you look around and mix with your fellow volunteers. Then you get the experience part! :wink: Following this is the interview, it was very hot down there :P. There will be around 15 other interviews going on in the other booths. Most of the questions are based on the field you will be volunteering in i.e. Results Technology Services and basically what's your experience in this. Plus what inspired you to apply, what do you know about sports, examples of team work and a time when you had to help someone through something bad etc. But I'm sure you'll all be fine so don't worry like I did :smile:

Thanks! Ooh the experience :wink: Haha very mysterious... Okay that's really good to know, thanks! I'm sure you did fine, I hope you get a place! All of us TSR volunteers have got each others backs haha:smile:

Edit: also, this is pretty random but are there spaces to hang jackets/hoodies or whatever? Because I know they said that there are no storage facilities, but Glasgow is too cold to stroll in without a jacket :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 56
Thanks! Ooh the experience :wink: Haha very mysterious... Okay that's really good to know, thanks! I'm sure you did fine, I hope you get a place! All of us TSR volunteers have got each others backs haha:smile:

Edit: also, this is pretty random but are there spaces to hang jackets/hoodies or whatever? Because I know they said that there are no storage facilities, but Glasgow is too cold to stroll in without a jacket :tongue:

I honestly can't remember sorry, but it was very warm, especially downstairs...
Reply 57
Can you now apply for Glasgow I registered on there last year a bit after the London Olympics but got confused as to what to do and as they said you could apply but it seemed like you couldn't. can you apply now on there?
Reply 58
Original post by DJTom
Can you now apply for Glasgow I registered on there last year a bit after the London Olympics but got confused as to what to do and as they said you could apply but it seemed like you couldn't. can you apply now on there?

No unfortunately not. The closing date for applications was a few months ago.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 59
Original post by lorri94
No unfortunately not. The closing date for applications was a few months ago.

Posted from TSR Mobile

:mad::frown: will they be opening it back up im quite shocked at it closing that early.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending