The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine 2015 hopefuls!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hollyheartsgoats
Exact same thing happened to me. Wasn't allowed to go to a placement because of my age they said, and then they told a girl in my year, but younger then me, she could go anytime she wanted. Turns out though the practice wouldn't of ben good work experience anyway as the vet I did end up going to told me that they have two practices and all the tricky ops are sent to the one that I don't know of as it is their main practice. For a few reasons I am quite glad they didn't take me, but it would of been nice as that is where we have always taken our animals and it's what I always think about when I think of SA vets! :tongue:

It's frustrating isn't it. :frown: I'd have had no problem with them declining me, it's just the fact that they outright lied :angry: . The person who got the placement then fainted in theatre, so I'd love to know what they had that I didn't :emo: ...

Another girl I know got her mother to write her cover letters for her :lolwut: I don't know whether she actually got a placement, though.
Reply 801
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
Commercial farms are great placements to have, as health of the animals concerned is arguably more important if animals/animal products are entering the food chain, but urban farms are a great way to get your foot in the door! :smile: Obviously all farms will be different, but personally I have learnt loads from my urban farm placement. The farmers have taught me about a myriad of diseases that cows can get (mastitis is the first one that comes to mind, but they have both imparted their knowledge on acidosis, ketosis, several different types of worms... to name but a few). In addition to this, I have had more hands on experience than I could have ever dreamed of, I didn't expect to be allowed to milk my cows on only my second say there! :biggrin: I'm so confident now that the farmer will just tell me to do it while he watches, I've got it pretty much fathomed out my now! Urban farms tend to have a wider variety of animals than commercial farms. Mine for example has several breeds of sheep, cows, goats, pigs, geese, chickens, turkeys, ducks, rabbits, guinea pigs, horses, fancy pigeons, guinea fowl... the list goes on. Being able to work with such a large collection of animals is honestly so fascinating, no two days are the same! There is always something going on that you can observe/do yourself... of course it's what universities are looking for! :biggrin: When phoning up for my dairy work I mentioned my experience at the urban farm, which helped me to secure a place. Even if it's only for a week or two, urban farms are utterly brilliant in every single way.

Sorry, I have rambled. :colondollar:
tl;dr: Personally my urban farm placement has been my favourite one so far, :love: and in my opinion you'd be mad not to try and get some work on one yourself :biggrin:

Yeah I definitely see what you mean! And your work at the farm does look amazing! And I am starting a city farm, I think at the beginning or middle of May - so I'm looking forward to that a lot! Especially as they have so many lambs and different variety of cows!
Original post by MonMon
Yeah I definitely see what you mean! And your work at the farm does look amazing! And I am starting a city farm, I think at the beginning or middle of May - so I'm looking forward to that a lot! Especially as they have so many lambs and different variety of cows!

Ooooh, have fun! :biggrin: Lambs are great but they are cheeky monkeys! :lol: Calves are lovely too, It's ages before they grow out of the 'Your fingers look like udder teats, let me lick them' phase :tongue:
I see, thanks for letting us know. :smile:

What did you put down, if you don't mind me asking?

Oh ok. I'm not sure what I could put their, as I don't participate in many sports like tennis or anything. I play badminton and tennis for fun sometimes but not on a regular basis and although I can hit the ball/shuttle back I'm no were near as good as others!
I was just wondering if you know what sort of things could be put down? :smile:
Thank you so much for saying! :biggrin:

I play tennis to county standard so I put that down. I'm also a wicketkeeper and batsman for my cricket team so I said that as well.

I'm not really sure what other people put, I suppose sewing would be a good idea. This might be a long shot, but if you help around the house doing DIY? I pretty much spent my childhood climbing into the tiny spaces my dad couldn't fit into and putting nails or screws in.

Do you play an instrument? That requires good motor control. I'm sure I mentioned I play the guitar on my application.

I'm sure there are more examples out there, it's not too late to take something up!
Original post by jamsie555
I play tennis to county standard so I put that down. I'm also a wicketkeeper and batsman for my cricket team so I said that as well.

I'm not really sure what other people put, I suppose sewing would be a good idea. This might be a long shot, but if you help around the house doing DIY? I pretty much spent my childhood climbing into the tiny spaces my dad couldn't fit into and putting nails or screws in.

Do you play an instrument? That requires good motor control. I'm sure I mentioned I play the guitar on my application.

I'm sure there are more examples out there, it's not too late to take something up!

In terms of extra-curriculars you don't need to have a great long list, but some are useful. Realistically, most of your PS should be focusing on work experience and out of 4 interviews I was only briefly asked about an engineering project I did by RVC. REMEMBER to ALWAYS link your extras to how it helps you become a better vet (student) when including in your PS. To be honest, it doesn't matter if you play sport at a high level or just for fun for example, but more that you mention that this sports shows your team working abilities, dedication etc etc. and that this is an important skill that you will use as a vet.

As for what Notts questionnaire asks, the uni has specifically asked for this info to be private, so we shouldn't really be discussing it here; the unis do read this place and will simply change questions if they realise some have been leaked online - there is no telling what may come up!

Hope this helps.
(edited 11 years ago)
Yes, Silverstar is right, none of us should really be discussing details of what you may be asked by any university, and your personal statement should be mostly based on work experience, but it should also contain a few sentences on extra curricular activities. I think it's important to make sure you let the universities know what you do to unwind and relax as vet med is a heavy degree.

When you get round to writing them, there's lots of us on TSR who will happily read them and give you some feedback

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 806
Thanks! :h:

Congratulations on three medicine offers by the way, that's incredible! :eek:

Thank you. It's a long application process, but its definitely worth it in the end! :smile:

Original post by CanineVet
Thank you and I second little tail chaser that's incredible and your results - ooft! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aha, no problem, and thank you. Just keep working hard and you'll get the same if not better! :biggrin:
Yes, Silverstar is right, none of us should really be discussing details of what you may be asked by any university, and your personal statement should be mostly based on work experience, but it should also contain a few sentences on extra curricular activities. I think it's important to make sure you let the universities know what you do to unwind and relax as vet med is a heavy degree.
:frown:
When you get round to writing them, there's lots of us on TSR who will happily read them and give you some feedback

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh I'm really sorry! I just read it on a thread and thought it was more as something you could have on your personal statement. I didn't mean to break any rules! :frown:
Oh I'm really sorry! I just read it on a thread and thought it was more as something you could have on your personal statement. I didn't mean to break any rules! :frown:

Don't worry! It was me who said it, not you! Just as a general rule of thumb, it's best not to discuss anything like that on here. I wasn't thinking when I posted that yesterday :colondollar:

But we can talk about it in terms of what to put on your personal statement until the cows come home :moo: :biggrin:
Don't worry! It was me who said it, not you! Just as a general rule of thumb, it's best not to discuss anything like that on here. I wasn't thinking when I posted that yesterday :colondollar:

But we can talk about it in terms of what to put on your personal statement until the cows come home :moo: :biggrin:

Ok, thank you so much for the help! I'm pretty nervous about the personal statement stage :s-smilie: It seems so difficult, especially the reason you want to be a vet! I was told by the vet I do work experience with "never mention your passion for animals" haha
Hello!
I applied, with school, to do a 2 day college course called ''animal care'' and I found out today that I got a place! :biggrin: I don't have to pay, although I have been told to invest in a boiler suit, which I was thinking about getting anyway as my friends brother, who got 2 offers this year(woo!), said they come in handy. So yeah, I was just wondering, will this count as work experience? I didn't apply to it because I wanted it for work experience, I was just wondering if I coudl count it, and if not, would I write about it on my personal statement? :smile:
Results day tomorrow :cry:

Hello!
I applied, with school, to do a 2 day college course called ''animal care'' and I found out today that I got a place! :biggrin: I don't have to pay, although I have been told to invest in a boiler suit, which I was thinking about getting anyway as my friends brother, who got 2 offers this year(woo!), said they come in handy. So yeah, I was just wondering, will this count as work experience? I didn't apply to it because I wanted it for work experience, I was just wondering if I coudl count it, and if not, would I write about it on my personal statement? :smile:

Oooh, congratulations on getting a place! :smile:
I suppose it depends on what sort of things you'll be doing, but I don't see why it couldn't be counted as WEx :smile:

Oooh, congratulations on getting a place! :smile:
I suppose it depends on what sort of things you'll be doing, but I don't see why it couldn't be counted as WEx :smile:

It seems pretty hands on but we will have to wait and see! :tongue:

Good luck!!!!!! I hope you get all the results you wanted! :^_^:

What results are you getting? I'm supposed to be getting my maths results tomorrow I'm too scared!

Posted from TSR Mobile
It seems pretty hands on but we will have to wait and see! :tongue:

Good luck!!!!!! I hope you get all the results you wanted! :^_^:

I hope you have fun! Do you know what sort of animals you'll be working with :h: .

Thanks, but I know I won't :frown: . Thankfully it's only maths which I'm getting a grade in. I already have an A but I retook for an A*. It's 168/200 for A*, so I think I've only just missed out :cry2: . Le sigh :tongue:
Original post by hannapoole
What results are you getting? I'm supposed to be getting my maths results tomorrow I'm too scared!

Best of luck! :smile: I'm getting maths as well. :frown:
I hope you have fun! Do you know what sort of animals you'll be working with :h: .

Thanks, but I know I won't :frown: . Thankfully it's only maths which I'm getting a grade in. I already have an A but I retook for an A*. It's 168/200 for A*, so I think I've only just missed out :cry2: . Le sigh :tongue:

I know I just looked at the grade boundaries and cried

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hannapoole
I know I just looked at the grade boundaries and cried

Are you on Edexcel?
Are you on Edexcel?

Yep! I don't even remember the exam very well so I'm not very confident!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 819
Hey :smile: holly that's great you got that course hope you enjoy it and what was it through? :smile:

And best of luck to you all :smile: are these preliminary exams yous have done? I done mine in December and did okay. Do they count for much? Ours can act as an appeal but are really just as a guideline as to what level you will sit :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending