University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Psychology applicants University of Nottingham 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by emilypsychology
I haven't heard much about Nightingale hall, is it far from Psychology? :smile:

20minutes max :smile: although as a first year I'm only ever in the actual psychology building for labs and tutorials. Never for lectures so you won't actually need it that often!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Original post by hjradley1
20minutes max :smile: although as a first year I'm only ever in the actual psychology building for labs and tutorials. Never for lectures so you won't actually need it that often!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Where would you go for lectures if you're not in the psychology building? :smile:
Reply 62
Where would you go for lectures if you're not in the psychology building? :smile:

At the moment I have lectures in the biology building, pope building and Coates Road Auditorium :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I haven't heard much about Nightingale hall, is it far from Psychology? :smile:

It's by the West entrance I think, so it's pretty much the other side of the campus
Original post by probably-not
It's by the West entrance I think, so it's pretty much the other side of the campus

What I noticed at an open day is that even though we were parked by the Sports Centre which is near the West Entrance, it was only a ten minute walk from the Psychology building, but on the map it looked really far away :smile:
At the moment I have lectures in the biology building, pope building and Coates Road Auditorium :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'll look them up on a map :P
How are you finding your first year of Psychology at Nottingham? :smile:
Reply 66
I'll look them up on a map :P
How are you finding your first year of Psychology at Nottingham? :smile:

I like it :smile: parts of it are difficult and there's a lot to learn. Took me some time to adjust in the first semester but I'm sure that's the same for every subject really. All in all, it's great :smile: if you have any specific questions, just let me know n ill do my best to answer them!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I like it :smile: parts of it are difficult and there's a lot to learn. Took me some time to adjust in the first semester but I'm sure that's the same for every subject really. All in all, it's great :smile: if you have any specific questions, just let me know n ill do my best to answer them!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I imagine every subject would take some adjusting to! How is it in terms of work load? :smile:
Reply 68
I imagine every subject would take some adjusting to! How is it in terms of work load? :smile:

Erm. Well it can be tough...2 essays a term and 3 lab reports but we only get 1 week to write each of the 2000 word lab reports every fortnight. Plus the reading/revision, it's best to read as you go along but I haven't and still got firsts in everything but more work that way!!
You get a bit longer to do the essays but that depends on how you spread it out!
You also have to choose 40 credits worth of optional modules and only 10 of those can be from the one psychology module. Last semester I took two other 10 credit modules from outside psych and this semester I've taken one extra outside psych (plus the 1 optional psych one) so workload for those will vary depending on what you choose.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 69
Hi everyone! Happy to see there's a thread specially for nott's psychology applicants. :smile: My offer is for ABC or BBB, so i'm really happy about that! But the thing is I am so unsure whether nottingham should be my firm or my insurance choice. hjradley1, I'd really like your opinion on this since you're already studying there.
Also, any international students here? :smile:
Reply 70
Original post by adeela93
Hi everyone! Happy to see there's a thread specially for nott's psychology applicants. :smile: My offer is for ABC or BBB, so i'm really happy about that! But the thing is I am so unsure whether nottingham should be my firm or my insurance choice. hjradley1, I'd really like your opinion on this since you're already studying there.
Also, any international students here? :smile:

Hi there! Well I'm somewhat biased in that I absolutely love it here, including most aspects of the course. It's a beautiful campus, societies/sports are great, I've met some wonderful people, there's so much going on. It's great for the more sociable and the more reserved and shy which is a hard balance to make!

The course is challenging enough to not be boring but not difficult enough to cause any problems which is great. Lecturers so far have been lovely and my tutor is amazing. There's very little I can fault this uni on tbh in my opinion! But then again emphasis on my biased attitude :P

I can't really help you on whether to firm or not because I can't really comment on the other unis or help make an informed/balanced decision!

If you have any specific questions about the uni, first year or psychology please do ask and be more than happy to help!
Best of luck deciding!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 71

If you have any specific questions about the uni, first year or psychology please do ask and be more than happy to help!
Best of luck deciding!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello! :smile:

I didn't know you were able to do optional modules in year 1. Thought that was just for year 3! Is there a list anywhere that says what the optional modules are? So confused how it all works!

Also, what hall are you in? :P

Thank you
Reply 72
Original post by Dpdr
Hello! :smile:

I didn't know you were able to do optional modules in year 1. Thought that was just for year 3! Is there a list anywhere that says what the optional modules are? So confused how it all works!

Also, what hall are you in? :P

Thank you

In year one there are 80credits (out of a 120) core modules in Psychology that you're automatically signed up for and are complusory:
Cognitive, 20 credits (autumn semester)
Social, 10 crdedits (autumn semester)
Biological, 20 credits (sping semester)
Developmental, 10 credits (spring semester)
Statistics, 10 credits (full year)
Practical methods and seminars in Psychology, 10 credits (full year)

You then have to pick 40 credits worth from somewhere else. 10 of them CAN be from the one optional psychology module (addiction and the brain) but if you do this then the other 30 must be from outside of the school of psychology. This is the link to all the modules available at the uni but you can only pick level 1 modules and read the description of prerequisits to see if you can do it http://modulecatalogue.nottingham.ac.uk/Nottingham/asp/main_search.asp - be careful with workload, number of hours and type of assessment - most will class with your timetable anyway!!

They recommend you do a 20/20 credit split of extra modules over autumn and spring semesters in order to balance the workload. I did an English Lanaguage module (was hell) and a Vikings module in the autumn, and currently doing a Geography module and the optional psych module this semester. Hope that answered your question :P

I'm not in halls (unconventional I know) but I have friends in most of the halls so can easily answer questions if needed :smile:
Reply 73
In year one there are 80credits (out of a 120) core modules in Psychology that you're automatically signed up for and are complusory:
Cognitive, 20 credits (autumn semester)
Social, 10 crdedits (autumn semester)
Biological, 20 credits (sping semester)
Developmental, 10 credits (spring semester)
Statistics, 10 credits (full year)
Practical methods and seminars in Psychology, 10 credits (full year)

You then have to pick 40 credits worth from somewhere else. 10 of them CAN be from the one optional psychology module (addiction and the brain) but if you do this then the other 30 must be from outside of the school of psychology. This is the link to all the modules available at the uni but you can only pick level 1 modules and read the description of prerequisits to see if you can do it http://modulecatalogue.nottingham.ac.uk/Nottingham/asp/main_search.asp - be careful with workload, number of hours and type of assessment - most will class with your timetable anyway!!

They recommend you do a 20/20 credit split of extra modules over autumn and spring semesters in order to balance the workload. I did an English Lanaguage module (was hell) and a Vikings module in the autumn, and currently doing a Geography module and the optional psych module this semester. Hope that answered your question :P

I'm not in halls (unconventional I know) but I have friends in most of the halls so can easily answer questions if needed :smile:

That is actually awesome! So 1/3 of the modules (40 credits) can be on completely different topics from different schools? Thank you for the link!

I just wondered how far the Western halls (Anc/Night/Cav) are from the Psychology department (walking). Thank you for your help! :smile:
Reply 74
Original post by Dpdr
That is actually awesome! So 1/3 of the modules (40 credits) can be on completely different topics from different schools? Thank you for the link!

I just wondered how far the Western halls (Anc/Night/Cav) are from the Psychology department (walking). Thank you for your help! :smile:

Yep completely different :smile: my mate has done biology, philosophy and French as a different example to mine :smile:

Erm 20 minutes maybe? Depending on how quickly you walk. I live 5 minutes from broad gate park and if I walk fast I can do it in 20minutes I think :P though as I've already said lectures can also be in biology, Pope, Coates and Coates Rd auditorium (last 3 are maybe an extra 5minutes from psychology)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yep completely different :smile: my mate has done biology, philosophy and French as a different example to mine :smile:

Erm 20 minutes maybe? Depending on how quickly you walk. I live 5 minutes from broad gate park and if I walk fast I can do it in 20minutes I think :P though as I've already said lectures can also be in biology, Pope, Coates and Coates Rd auditorium (last 3 are maybe an extra 5minutes from psychology)

Posted from TSR Mobile

On the subject of choosing modules, does this apply to other subject areas? I'm doing psychology & neuroscience, do you know anyone on that course?

Thanks!
Reply 76
Original post by Oakleysworld
On the subject of choosing modules, does this apply to other subject areas? I'm doing psychology & neuroscience, do you know anyone on that course?

Thanks!

First year is exactly the same for straight psychology and psychology with CN :smile: and yes i do know people on that course but they don't do anything different until next year

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 77
Is anyone doing a PGDip Psychology or MSc Psychology conversion course starting in September? :smile:
First year is exactly the same for straight psychology and psychology with CN :smile: and yes i do know people on that course but they don't do anything different until next year

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, thanks for clearing that up! Very excited to start in September. Is there anywhere I can look for a complete list of module options?
Reply 79
Original post by Oakleysworld
Hey, thanks for clearing that up! Very excited to start in September. Is there anywhere I can look for a complete list of module options?

Hey :smile: that's no problem! Glad I could help. Heres the link to the module catalogue: http://modulecatalogue.nottingham.ac.uk/Nottingham/asp/main_search.asp
Be careful with regards to whether you're allowed to do it (must need per/core requisits and it must be level 1), what type of assessment it is and how many contact hours as you don't want it to take up a lot of time!

Also be aware that it is very difficult to find modules you want to do that also it in your timetable. I really wanted to do very science-y ones and ended up with Vikings, English and geography :P luckily they were actually pretty good (except English) but still!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending