The Student Room Group

Oxford from USA

Hi all,

I live in the USA, but (like half of the people who apply to Oxford) I want to apply to Christ Church for PPE. I had a question for everyone. I've done really well on all the American exams (SATs, SAT subject tests, APs), and I was wondering whether Christ Church would be wanting my school grades? I've had mixed responses. I've heard they only ask for American test scores + TSAs, UCAS application, and teacher recs, but not school transcripts. Is that true? It's just that I've gotten some less than satisfactory grades in school and I was hoping that Oxford would never get to see those. Does anyone know whether they ask for school grades?

Thanks all!
Original post by adm|nistrator
Hi all,

I live in the USA, but (like half of the people who apply to Oxford) I want to apply to Christ Church for PPE. I had a question for everyone. I've done really well on all the American exams (SATs, SAT subject tests, APs), and I was wondering whether Christ Church would be wanting my school grades? I've had mixed responses. I've heard they only ask for American test scores + TSAs, UCAS application, and teacher recs, but not school transcripts. Is that true? It's just that I've gotten some less than satisfactory grades in school and I was hoping that Oxford would never get to see those. Does anyone know whether they ask for school grades?

Thanks all!

All the Americans I've met at Oxford said they didn't need to send in their school grades (apparently because they're not standardised and so in Oxford's eyes are practically useless as a tool for comparing candidates). A few of them expressed relief that this was the case precisely because of the reason you give :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by qwertyuiop1993
All the Americans I've met at Oxford said they didn't need to send in their school grades (apparently because they're not standardised and so in Oxford's eyes are practically useless as a tool for comparing candidates). A few of them expressed relief that this was the case precisely because of the reason you give :smile:

That's great! Thanks so much for your help! Does anyone have any information on this?
Reply 3
Original post by nexttime
As far as i'm aware, its mainly assessed on APs.

Thanks! Does anyone here have any more information about this? Thank you!
Thanks! Does anyone here have any more information about this? Thank you!

Here you go:
http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/international_applicants/international_qualifications/index.html

SAT Reasoning Test with at least 1,400 in Critical Reading and Mathematics and preferably also 700 or more in Writing, giving a combined score of at least 2,100
OR
ACT with a score of at least 32 out of 36.

AND

Grade 5 in three or more Advanced Placement Tests in appropriate subjects
OR
SAT Subject Tests in three appropriate subjects at 700 or better.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by fluteflute
Here you go:

Thanks for that, and thank you for the guide. I'm a bit confused though, because I was speaking with someone I know who recently was accepted to Oxford for English, and he said that he had to send in his school transcripts. Is that a particular requisite for English or a necessity for all subjects? I appreciate your help!
Reply 7
Thanks for that, and thank you for the guide. I'm a bit confused though, because I was speaking with someone I know who recently was accepted to Oxford for English, and he said that he had to send in his school transcripts. Is that a particular requisite for English or a necessity for all subjects? I appreciate your help!

I was accepted for undergraduate chemistry last year, and when applying, I did not have to send in any of my class grades. APs and SATs, that was all. In fact, when I got my acceptance letter, I believe it said that I was accepted on the basis of only 3 of my AP scores. I'm the others were considered, but I think they focus heavily on standardized tests, and particularly those that relate to you subject.
e

I was accepted for undergraduate chemistry last year, and when applying, I did not have to send in any of my class grades. APs and SATs, that was all. In fact, when I got my acceptance letter, I believe it said that I was accepted on the basis of only 3 of my AP scores. I'm the others were considered, but I think they focus heavily on standardized tests, and particularly those that relate to you subject.

I also had no dealing with my school at all when applying, except for the reference, which I arranged personally with the teacher. I don't believe our guidance department was ever aware I applied, or got in for that matter.
Reply 8
Hi there! I'm a US applicant from this year. Until you're accepted, you won't need to send in anything. If you are accepted, most colleges will want you to send in verification of your AP / SAT / whatever you declared on your UCAS application, excepting your school grades. I haven't heard of any college asking for school transcripts. (Cambridge, does, however, require them.)

As long as you have 5+ SAT IIs and APs at full score, you won't be limited by your test scores. You'll just need to do well on the subject test (if there is one), and during interviews.

If you have any questions, please contact me; I'd love to help! Good luck!
I also applied to Oxford this year, and no transcript was required at any step of the process. Feel free to ask me questions too!
@dvdhsu What college and subject?
Reply 10
Original post by mnbvcxzzxcvbnm
I also applied to Oxford this year, and no transcript was required at any step of the process. Feel free to ask me questions too!
@dvdhsu What college and subject?

St. Hugh's, for Computer Science and Philosophy. I'll PM you.
Reply 11

That may have been particular for him, but I don't know anybody in any subject who had to do that for Oxford. Mainly it's St Andrews that wants them (they take a lot of Americans). Wouldn't worry about it at all- most of us did it on our one, as our schools didn't know what to do, and it really isn't that hard. C'mon back when UCAS goes live and you have questions!
Reply 12
Thanks for the help guys. Does anybody else have experiences with transcripts when applying to oxford from the US?
Reply 13
Thanks for the help guys. Does anybody else have experiences with transcripts when applying to oxford from the US?

Seven people with direct experience have already replied and all have said the same thing. The CS department at Oxford has replied with the official Oxford guide. Perhaps if you are not satisfied with the responses here you should contact Christ Church directly.
(edited 10 years ago)
Haha, no worries. I have the exact same problem. If you have noticed, there isn't even a place on your UCAS application under the educational qualifications section to enter your GPA/individual class grades.
Reply 15
Is it fine that I send my SAT scores after Oct.15? My current scores are not so good now so I hope to have another sit in Oct. But you know, it takes around twenty days to have the score......

Sorry for stealing the thread and leaving an off-topic question here :P
Reply 16

Yup. Never sent it in.

Pretty sure that's generally the case. Maybe there are a few exceptions where people did poorly on or didn't have the chance to take the necessary APs? and had to back up their aptitude by school grades or something.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending