The Student Room Group

BREAKING: Reports of multiple explosions at Boston Marathon leaving dozens wounded.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pyaesone
Why is suddenly everyone only going crazy over this? What about that bomb blast in Middle east that killed 15 people that day? Or many people being burned in Burma a few weeks before. Every lives should be equal. Not fair to only emphasise on developed nations.

So if a family member dies and a stranger dies, whose funeral do you go to?

You go to your families funeral.

It's not that the strangers life is less important, its just that the strangers life is less important to you personally.

America is the equivalent of a relative to the U.K so thats why we pay more attention to disasters in their country. Plus it has more an affect on the world tha iraq does, there is a saying "America catches a cold and the world sneezes".
Reply 561
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
I've also seen three other of these "bag matching" suspect pictures, too. I suggest people watch this 6-minute documentary on Umbrella man:

Interesting video, thanks!
Reply 562
Original post by Polka Dot
So if a family member dies and a stranger dies, whose funeral do you go to?

You go to your families funeral.

It's not that the strangers life is less important, its just that the strangers life is less important to you personally.

America is the equivalent of a relative to the U.K so thats why we pay more attention to disasters in their country. Plus it has more an affect on the world tha iraq does, there is a saying "America catches a cold and the world sneezes".

What about all those things about "humanity" that people are shouting? I am not saying that you shouldn't care. I was referring that every disasters should be emphasised on equally.
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
I've also seen three other of these "bag matching" suspect pictures, too. I suggest people watch this 6-minute documentary on Umbrella man:

Didn't Umbrella Man turn out to be Smoking Man in X-Files?
Original post by AlexandrTheGreat
Who was their source? You don't know, you're just speculating.

You'll have to eat your hat if they turn out to be right

I do know their source.

CNN announced someone had been arrested.

Their source was Boston law enforcement who allegedly told them someone had been arrested in connection with the bombing.

But then Boston law enforcement and FBI announced there have been no arrests. (Also pointed out by another poster earlier in this thread)

So they were wrong. And their source could not have been Boston law enforcement (or any other for that matter).

Then CNN changed their story. Saying no one had been arrested.

CNN dun goofed
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 565
Original post by Polka Dot
there is a saying "America catches a cold and the world sneezes".

The fact that there's credence to this saying and that we are all willing to accept is a quite sad in a way.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Didn't Umbrella Man turn out to be Smoking Man in X-Files?

No, the smoking man was actually in a drain culvert at Dealey Plaza, with a rifle.
Original post by ESPORTIVA
I do know their source.

CNN announced someone had been arrested.

Their source was Boston law enforcement who allegedly told them someone had been arrested in connection with the bombing.

But then Boston law enforcement and FBI announced there have been no arrests. (Also pointed out by another poster earlier in this thread)

It's quite possible that Boston PD and FBI are technically correct, but that someone has indeed been taken into custody of a sort.

The National Defense Authorisation Act of 2012 requires terrorist suspects on the mainland to be taken into military custody. Now, there are waivers of various sorts and it is at the discretion of the President ultimately, but Congress and the Republicans were adamant that they wanted terrorist suspects in the United States to be arrested by the military rather than civilian law enforcement.

The military can also throw a much heavier cloak of secrecy over its operations.

This is a bit of a silly debate (much of it relating to who is "right" over Guantanamo, whether this is a war or simply an action against criminals, etc) but the fact that more than one source have reported arrests, or imminent arrests, and the like, suggests to me that there is something to it.

The military custody scenario would fit many of the seemingly contradictory reports.

Edit: I also would not be surprised if the US is engaging in forms of psychological propaganda over whether or not an arrest has occurred, which would induce a greater degree of terrorist chatter as they try to verify reports of whether their agent has been taken into custody, which the NSA would no doubt be listening to very carefully (even if they can't decode it, traffic analysis can provide a great deal of information). Very much "do they know that we know", and trying to wrongfoot the organisation responsible, inducing various cells and agents to communicate more and thus increase the likelihood of detection

The military could also take someone into custody secretly, allowing them time to perhaps use some harsher interrogation techniques to see if they can get anything out of the suspect, before releasing them into law enforcement custody
(edited 11 years ago)
It's quite possible that Boston PD and FBI are technically correct, but that someone has indeed been taken into custody of a sort.

The National Defense Authorisation Act of 2012 requires terrorist suspects on the mainland to be taken into military custody. Now, there are waivers of various sorts and it is at the discretion of the President ultimately, but Congress and the Republicans were adamant that they wanted terrorist suspects in the United States to be arrested by the military rather than civilian law enforcement.

The military can also throw a much heavier cloak of secrecy over its operations.

This is a bit of a silly debate (much of it relating to who is "right" over Guantanamo, whether this is a war or simply an action against criminals, etc) but the fact that more than one source have reported arrests, or imminent arrests, and the like, suggests to me that there is something to it.

The military custody scenario would fit many of the seemingly contradictory reports.

Edit: I also would not be surprised if the US is engaging in forms of psychological propaganda over whether or not an arrest has occurred, which would induce a greater degree of terrorist chatter as they try to verify reports of whether their agent has been taken into custody, which the NSA would no doubt be listening to very carefully (even if they can't decode it, traffic analysis can provide a great deal of information). Very much "do they know that we know", and trying to wrongfoot the organisation responsible, inducing various cells and agents to communicate more and thus increase the likelihood of detection

The military could also take someone into custody secretly, allowing them time to perhaps use some harsher interrogation techniques to see if they can get anything out of the suspect, before releasing them into law enforcement custody

I was actually thinking the same thing too.

They probably have got someone in custody or maybe they haven't.

Does make for an interesting conspiracy theory though. Gotta get my tinfoil hat out again.
(edited 11 years ago)
I was actually thinking the same thing too.

They probably have got someone in custody or maybe they haven't.

Does make for an interesting conspiracy theory though. Gotta get my tinfoil hat out again.

Not really a conspiracy theory, as there's no conspiracy. Just a theory. Yep.
Reply 570
its really hard to feel sad for america ..they killed 30 ppl in Afghan wedding a few days ago..14 dead were children ...no one cried for them because they r poor and muslims ...not even the most Hippocrate muslims in living in the west .yet when boston bomb happend u see there FB pages full of sympathy just to impress there white friends
Not really a conspiracy theory, as there's no conspiracy. Just a theory. Yep.

That's what they want you to think :ninja:
That's what they want you to think :ninja:

Lol :smile: 1000 recommends
Reply 573
Original post by hiiiii
its really hard to feel sad for america ..they killed 30 ppl in Afghan wedding a few days ago

Try 11 years ago... :rolleyes:

Plus it's not America that you need to feel sad for. Innocent people lost their lives. Do you need a certain number of people to die for you to feel sad about it? because that's what your comparison suggests, either that, or that the people in Boston somehow deserved to die in revenge for what happened in Afghanistan - which would be harsh considering one of the Boston victims wasn't born 11 years ago, and another wasn't even American.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by pyaesone
What about all those things about "humanity" that people are shouting? I am not saying that you shouldn't care. I was referring that every disasters should be emphasised on equally.

Why? Some disasters effect and influence us more than others. If a family member of mine dies I am going to spend more time mourning than if someone I don't know dies. Yes it is sad that they died but if we gave each tradgedy equal coverage than we would spend our lives crying, so we prioritize the tradgedies that affect those closest to us or ourselves are the the tradgedies we spend most of our time on.
Original post by J.Nalbandian14
April 15th: Titanic sunk
April 15th: Hillsborough Disaster
April 15th: Boston Explosion

:frown:

Thoughts and condolences with those affected.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by snowyowl
April 15th: My younger sister's birthday!

She hates having all these disasters associated with her date of birth, especially since my parents once made a "joke" about her being another of those disasters. :frown:

My birthday! Don't forget that Abraham Lincoln was assassinated on this date. But I get cake so it's all good.
The news coverage of the bombing is entirely disproportionate to the extent of human suffering.

I don't think it's unfair to ask why the BBC give limited coverage of a bombing in Iraq that kills 33 people, and extensive, 24 hour coverage of a bomb that kills 3 people.

The special relationship explanation doesn't satisfy me. Personally, I could feasibly have more in common with an Iraqi victim than with an American one. Regardless of race, culture, language or any other unquantifiable similarity.

Give me the stories of those who suffer the most. They're who I care about.
Reply 577
Original post by hiiiii
its really hard to feel sad for america ..they killed 30 ppl in Afghan wedding a few days ago..14 dead were children ...no one cried for them because they r poor and muslims ...not even the most Hippocrate muslims in living in the west .yet when boston bomb happend u see there FB pages full of sympathy just to impress there white friends

Are you honestly saying you're surprised people care more about an attack in their own country than an attack in one overseas?
Reply 578
Original post by Stroma
Are you honestly saying you're surprised people care more about an attack in their own country than an attack in one overseas?

America is not in the UK!
Reply 579
Original post by hiiiii
America is not in the UK!

Try reading my post again, I never said, or even implied, it was.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending