The Student Room Group

Student finance

Hi guys
i have a question about funding for a second attempt at university.
I have been to university once before,about 5 years ago,when I had turned 18 to study diploma in nursing.i left after about 16 months,but am now in a position that I am ready to return and read psychology. Does anybody know if I will grt funding for the psychology degree as its a BSc and my nursing was DIP,and funded by the NHS so I never touched a student loan?
cheers
Original post by klowe1990
Hi guys
i have a question about funding for a second attempt at university.
I have been to university once before,about 5 years ago,when I had turned 18 to study diploma in nursing.i left after about 16 months,but am now in a position that I am ready to return and read psychology. Does anybody know if I will grt funding for the psychology degree as its a BSc and my nursing was DIP,and funded by the NHS so I never touched a student loan?
cheers

Hiya!

As you did not complete your diploma, therefore not receiving a qualification, you will receive full funding from student finance to complete your Psychology BSc degree :smile:
Reply 2
Thank you!thats brilliant news!
Reply 3
Original post by Knalchemist
Hiya!

As you did not complete your diploma, therefore not receiving a qualification, you will receive full funding from student finance to complete your Psychology BSc degree :smile:

I was looking through my stuff and I received a HNC in Healy and Social care from completing my first year . Should this stop me from getting a loan?

Also, student finance have no idea.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
I was looking through my stuff and I received a HNC in Healy and Social care from completing my first year . Should this stop me from getting a loan?

Also, student finance have no idea.

The general rule of thumb is:

Length of new course + 1 minus ( years spent on old course)

So how much funding you will get will depend on whether your original post level 3 course counted as 1 or 2 years. Contact your old college and check what they recorded. The plus 1 year, allows for change of course or a retake year. Partially complete years may count if you did not withdraw within 90 days of the start of the academic year. But it down to what the college record says.

Your HNC counts as a level 4 qualification, as you are planning to study for a degree which is considered as a level 6 qualification, you should be eligible for some funding. The problem with ELQ is that if you do the non NHS funded course first and then the NHS funded course there is clear guidance that for most you can receive funding for the NHS course despite having an equal or higher level qualification already. When you do the NHS funded course first, the non NHS funded course, it becomes less clear. Your second course is not exempt because it is not NHS funded. Your first course the NHS funded one counts for ELQ and may have an impact on how much funding you get for a second course.

Note ELQ applies regardless of who funded your qualification, not having had a student loan for fees or maintenance is not the issue. For example someone who funded their first degree from their own resources (even if was completed abroad) and then wants to study for a second in the UK has to fund it themselves and potentially pay fees up to international student level. Unless the course is exempt from ELQ.

In your circumstances given your description, you should, assuming a 3 year degree course get between 2 and 3 years funding. To know for sure, you will need to apply get and get a decision. What is important to find out is whether the NHS bursary registered as one or two years of funding. If it was only 1 year you should get funding for your full degree.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Thanks edjunkie, generally really helpful and its cleared up a lot of stuff. Maybe you should apply for a job with student finance, as you seem to know alot more than the guys onthe phone!
Reply 6
Thanks edjunkie, generally really helpful and its cleared up a lot of stuff. Maybe you should apply for a job with student finance, as you seem to know alot more than the guys onthe phone!

Unfortunately in every business and every advice line in the world there will be people who arent perhaps competent or confident in the info they are providing. However I previously worked for SFE and SLC and can assure you the training and level of knoweledge required is extremely substantial. I would re-consider being so disrespectful of people trying to help you out on a public forum in future. Its not clever.
Reply 7
Original post by mmckeever
Unfortunately in every business and every advice line in the world there will be people who arent perhaps competent or confident in the info they are providing. However I previously worked for SFE and SLC and can assure you the training and level of knoweledge required is extremely substantial. I would re-consider being so disrespectful of people trying to help you out on a public forum in future. Its not clever.

Excuse me?i was generally grateful for what the guy said. If you read it as sarcastic then that's your problem. And as for SFE, I didn't intend to insult anyone that works for them either,it just seems that nobody knew the answer.thanks for trying to put me down anyway
Reply 8
I am hoping to start a degree in Psychology in september as a mature student. I did one mdule with OU a few years back but didnt complete due to ill health.

I have been told that even though this wasn't a student loan, it will class as a whole years funding that I have received so that will affect my funding for student finance. Just hope I can get enough to cover my course or I will not be able to study.
Reply 9
Original post by angelsww
I am hoping to start a degree in Psychology in september as a mature student. I did one mdule with OU a few years back but didnt complete due to ill health.

I have been told that even though this wasn't a student loan, it will class as a whole years funding that I have received so that will affect my funding for student finance. Just hope I can get enough to cover my course or I will not be able to study.

If you have proof of this illness I think they may consider it.the guys on the phone said you have funding for 4 years,so each year you eat into takes away a year, so you should have funding for the three years... I think!
Good Luck :smile:
Reply 10
The funding works like this:
Course Length + 1 Gift Year - Any previous study

If you have had to leave study in the past you may be able to apply for extra years of funding based on "CPR" (Compelling Personal Reasons) but you would need to be able to provide evidence.
Original post by angelsww

This is right. It goes on how many years study, regardless of how it was funded.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending