The Student Room Group

America - like to hit but not get hit

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Here's a question for those of you angry about the drone strikes.

Would you take out 49 innocents if you could have bombed a hotel that had Hitler in 1940?
What about if you could get a house with Saddam in the 90's, before all that genocide he committed?
How about a cave with Osama in before 9/11?

There are tough decisions to be made and the public don't know the half of it. Does it sound awful? Of course it does, and in an ideal world no civilians will die in a war, but sometimes in a war like the won that is being fought you have to make value decisions, and if that terrorist is the architect of a string of bombings that have already killed 300 civilians, and are targetting civilians and military personel? Then you take the damn shot sometimes.

What I think is worth noting, and the thing all of you so easily forget is the job the ground forces are doing. The restraint they show with rules of engagment that they respect to minimse civilian casualties everyday, all across Iraq and Afhganistan coalition forces put themselves in far more danger then they 'have' to by international law to minimise civilian casualties, to the point where in urban areas sometimes they wont even return fire for fear of causing innocent casualties.

But no, you all conveniently forget that. You forget the enemy they're fighting are the ones that plant bombs in schools, on roads and in market places that kill civilians intentionally daily. The people they are fighting use human shields and weapons banned to all civiliased nations.

But of course, that doesn't fit your narrative about the damned evil West that just don't care about brown people or Muslims does it? :rolleyes:
Original post by Mr Advice
Even if the US had no enemy they would create one - this is the form of their imperialism.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Even if that were true, it's entirely irrelevant to the discussion. A warmongering nation is not the same as a terrorist nation for reasons previously outlined.
Original post by Thriftworks
The US gaining influence over the middle east is inevitable. The US is a global hegemony and the largest importer of oil, thus it is inevitably going to gain influence over the middle east a region which heavily relies on oil exportation and has been unstable for a long time. Example : Us intervention in the gulf war, the UN gave the US a mandate because they were/are the global power hegemony, they didn't bother countries like Iceland, who are not as powerful. Thus Iceland did not gain influence over Kuwait

Interestingly, the US has been overtaken by China as biggest net importer and is actually set to become the biggest producer of oil, and a net exporter.
Reply 43
Original post by hiiiii
its really hard to feel sad for america ..they killed 30 ppl in Afghan wedding a few days ago..14 dead were children ...no one cried for them because they r poor and muslims .

I couldn't agree more with your post.
Original post by hiiiii
its really hard to feel sad for america ..they killed 30 ppl in Afghan wedding a few days ago..14 dead were children ...no one cried for them because they r poor and muslims .

I'm pretty sure the 8 year-old who got blown up at the marathon had very little input into US combat tactics. You can't feel sad for him because of the decisions his government makes?
Reply 45
Original post by RtGOAT
Collateral damage of a warzone. Unfortunate but its the reality of war.

Boston is not a warzone.

Boston was a retaliation in my opinion. If America continues to terrorize other countries, it will continue to get hit.
I'm sure if someone kicked you in the balls, you would hit them back...
Iraq was invaded for OIL.
Reply 46
Original post by paddyman4
I'm pretty sure the 8 year-old who got blown up at the marathon had very little input into US combat tactics. You can't feel sad for him because of the decisions his government makes?

I honestly feel sorry for the child. He/she did not deserve. Neither did the other two people who died and the others who got injured.

What about the 30 people who died though. There were 14 children there. Isn't the value of everyone's life the same? Whether American or Muslim?
Reply 47
Original post by Chindits

Without America's lead, we'd have Jihadists afflicting more countries with the yolk of totalitarian Islam than they already do.

Bahahaa - "Throw eggs, not bombs!"

Churchill warned about Islam as far back in 1899.

EVEN Churchill? But...but...he was right about everything and he was so open minded about other cultures!!! :rolleyes:
Reply 48
The thread title confuses me. Are you suggesting some countries enjoy being attacked by bombs, which then kill/maim hundreds?
Reply 49
I won't be giving an opinion on hitting or whatsoever. I just want to mention that I hate the fact that Americans think their country is the greatest or even the only country in the world, and that whatever they are doing seems right.
Interestingly, the US has been overtaken by China as biggest net importer and is actually set to become the biggest producer of oil, and a net exporter.

Point was they they rely heavily on oil imports. Even when being exporters they will still import oil. They just won't be as reliant.
Reply 51
Original post by pyaesone
I won't be giving an opinion on hitting or whatsoever. I just want to mention that I hate the fact that Americans think their country is the greatest or even the only country in the world, and that whatever they are doing seems right.

And all Muslims are terrorists. I've heard all the Irish are alcoholics as well only 3 foot tall and look for gold at the end of rainbows :rolleyes:

See how stupid generalizations are? The US is a nation of over 300million people stop shoe horning them into one group.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Thriftworks
Point was they they rely heavily on oil imports. Even when being exporters they will still import oil. They just won't be as reliant.

Every analyst believes the US will gain energy independence by 2035. They will escape reliance on the Middle East pretty soon.
Every analyst believes the US will gain energy independence by 2035. They will escape reliance on the Middle East pretty soon.

Right the point I was making is that they have been reliant, they currently are reliant and that has led to ties with governments in the middle east
Reply 54

Ill get my sourve later. However it has been said that obama counts male casualties as terrorists deaths. So if an innocent man dies in a drone strike, he died a terrorist in America's eyes. Moreover obama has been drone striking more often than bush has.
Reply 55
Original post by Aj12
Given that their actions are generally not targeted at civilian populations with the main aim being to spread terror I feel confident that most of their actions do not constitute terrorism.

Yet they continuously to kill civilians with impunity.
Reply 56
All i know is if another World war breaks out, i'd much rather it be some civvie in te middle east dying than me. and i'd rather we be the winning side of the war, the moral high ground won't stop a bullet going through your skull, but it might just stop one going through your enemies.
Original post by taylorh
All i know is if another World war breaks out, i'd much rather it be some civvie in te middle east dying than me. and i'd rather we be the winning side of the war, the moral high ground won't stop a bullet going through your skull, but it might just stop one going through your enemies.

[video="youtube;oAKG-kbKeIo"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAKG-kbKeIo[/video]
Original post by Chindits
Keeping the Islamists under control just as they did the Communists and fascists.

Without America's lead, we'd have Jihadists afflicting more countries with the yolk of totalitarian Islam than they already do.

Remember, the Islamists have been at it for far longer than America's war on terror (before anyone brings that up as being the spark)

Churchill warned about Islam as far back in 1899.

do you even know what jihad means?
a lot of people on this thread are quite bigoted and misinformed and really don't know a single thing about Islam.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending