The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RibenaRockstar
ETA: really mature whoever negged me. I'm the kind of person who worries about everything and if I saw a post from someone talking about how everyone has a 2-digit number and I had a 3 digit number I'd worry that it meant something strange. Of course, it doesn't, but I'd still worry over it. The whole reason pre-freshers come on here is to find out as much as they can so there are fewer unknowns and fewer things to worry about.

Well that's what the rep feature is for, to rep people up for being helpful and considerate, and to negatively rep people who're needlessly insulting and unfriendly. Sorry if I hurt your feelings
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
I think I am going to put Norwood as my first choice, but apparently if I am selected to go on the lower floors it can be very noisy due to the bars nearby so sleep is very difficult. Is this true? and if so how bad is the noise? Thanks a lot!
Original post by Genesis2703
I think I am going to put Norwood as my first choice, but apparently if I am selected to go on the lower floors it can be very noisy due to the bars nearby so sleep is very difficult. Is this true? and if so how bad is the noise? Thanks a lot!

asked exactly the same thing a couple of weeks ago! :tongue:

Ribena has been very good for answering Norwood questions; you'll probably find these useful:

I love it. The rooms are, I think, the biggest of all the non- ensuite accommodation, which is a bonus! Each flat has an enormous kitchen, and there's also a 'social space' which all flats can access and which leads to the laundrette. Oh and also the rooms are really well designed. My friend in Solsbury doesn't have any plugs by his bed or a reading lamp. We have built in reading lamps and plug sockets by the bed, by the mirror, and by the desk. Also I can get to loads of places on campus without going outside. Very useful if it's raining!
I think I have a much better deal than Westwood!

Edit: the above post talks about the noise issue. I'm in the lowest level of rooms in Norwood and the noise isn't an issue for me. I barely notice it, to be honest. :smile:

Original post by mathsman77
Is the noise from the pub/club/tub/plug(whatever its called) disruptive to those that live in Norwood?

There are only two club nights a week, and they're just as disruptive to those who live in other accommodations and have people pre drinking and the loud BANTERRRRR.
I'm some ways we have it better as there are fewer post-lash parties in Norwood than the other halls.

I can sleep through it fine, though that's a personal thing.
Reply 123
Does anyone know if the maintenance loan from sfe is meant to pay for the accommodation too? as accommodation at bath averages at around £4'200 and the maintenance loan is a maximum of around £3'500?
Reply 124
Original post by AlexTerry
Does anyone know if the maintenance loan from sfe is meant to pay for the accommodation too? as accommodation at bath averages at around £4'200 and the maintenance loan is a maximum of around £3'500?

yes maintenance loan pays for everything including accommodation
Original post by Architecture-er
The campus is organised around the library, the lower the number, the closer it is. Then the even numbers are on the south side of Parade, and odd numbers on the north. And obviously W = west, E = east :lol:

So 9W would be on the northern side of parade, towards the western-most end. Norwood is located at the eastern end, so you'd have to go outside unless you went right down and walked through the undercroft where the delivery vehicles and service areas are :wink:

You can certainly get to 5W indoors from Norwood, and then a lot of the stuff around 8W is covered. Where is 9W?
Original post by AlexTerry

Yes, your maintenance loan is for you to, in theory, live off - so accommodation and life. The minimum accommodation loan is £3575 I believe, so you should get quite a bit more than that if you come from a low income household.
You can certainly get to 5W indoors from Norwood, and then a lot of the stuff around 8W is covered. Where is 9W?

Not 100% sure, I know 8W is on the ramp leading down to the western car park, but I think the Pharmacy faculty just to the north is 5/7W, not 9

According to this map it's west of 5W and south of 7W, can't see if they're connected though.
Reply 129
16th April... the first ucas deadline isn't even til may - and already there are 4/5 residences that are overflowing?
definitely the most extreme example of you snooze you lose i've ever heard of! seems ridiculous!!!

so anyway... norwood, westwood or eastwood...

nor, west, east... or west, nor, east... hmmm.
Reply 130
i went norwood as first choice... hopefully the noise won't be too bad? (i'm not really accustomed to it apart from the odd seagull)

also seems annoying that i had to put a catered option up there! scared i'll get it now!
Just applied for student finance, seems I wont be homeless. Might run out food money around Mayish though unless I get parental help (or dip into my savings).
Reply 132
The majority of you will most likely end up in Westwood- which actually everybody loves being in. I'm In westwood now and most people here applied for Woodland/Malborough+Sols. Saying that though, Westwood is far more social and you'll love it wherever you end up
Reply 133
Original post by uusername
The majority of you will most likely end up in Westwood- which actually everybody loves being in. I'm In westwood now and most people here applied for Woodland/Malborough+Sols. Saying that though, Westwood is far more social and you'll love it wherever you end up

Hi, if you dont mind me asking how many people share facilities in your flat?
Reply 134
Did anyone else receive an email saying 'This email is to advise that our online application for University accommodation 2013-14 is now "open"...'?

Just wondering as I applied for accommodation the day it opened. Should I phone them, or is it a generic email sent to all firmers?

Thanks.
Original post by Bennybo
Did anyone else receive an email saying 'This email is to advise that our online application for University accommodation 2013-14 is now "open"...'?

Just wondering as I applied for accommodation the day it opened. Should I phone them, or is it a generic email sent to all firmers?

Thanks.

That happened last year if I remember correctly - I wouldn't worry.
Reply 136
Original post by Bennybo

Thanks.

I also got the email and already applied
Reply 137
Original post by Bennybo

Thanks.

I believe all of those who firmed before the 3rd of April got an email saying it was opening on the 3rd. Did you get that mail ? "Now open" sounds like a mail sent to those who firmed after the 3rd.

If I understand your question correctly you got this email after having applied on the 3rd. Implying they do not have your application. If you go to accommodation page

https://isecure.bath.ac.uk/eaccommodation/SignIn.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2feaccommodation%2f

Log in. Click "continue" Then "Applications" Your State should show as "awaiting verification" And by clicking the "view" button you should be able to see your accommodation choices. If not you should call them.
Reply 138
Original post by HPAG
I believe all of those who firmed before the 3rd of April got an email saying it was opening on the 3rd. Did you get that mail ? "Now open" sounds like a mail sent to those who firmed after the 3rd.

If I understand your question correctly you got this email after having applied on the 3rd. Implying they do not have your application. If you go to accommodation page

https://isecure.bath.ac.uk/eaccommodation/SignIn.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2feaccommodation%2f

Log in. Click "continue" Then "Applications" Your State should show as "awaiting verification" And by clicking the "view" button you should be able to see your accommodation choices. If not you should call them.

I logged in and my application status is 'Awaiting verification' with the application date being 03/04/2013.
Reply 139
Original post by Bennybo
I logged in and my application status is 'Awaiting verification' with the application date being 03/04/2013.

Cool. Then your accommodation application should be ok.

Latest

Trending

Trending