The Student Room Group

Self studying Further Maths AND Physics A-Level in one year... how mad am i?!

Hi, i thought that even though i've posted a few threads (sorry about that) i have emailed some admissions tutors, and i have decided to apply for theoretical physics 2014 entry, and to do so i must complete both Physics and FM next year.

I am reasonably intelligent and work very hard. I have found a level maths fine really - never struggled so far :smile:

Has anyone done anything like this on here? how much did you find either a level difficult?

The FM modules i am decided to take are: D1, S2, M2, FP1-3. Do you think M3 however would work well with level physics instead of D1? Thanks!
Reply 1
Apparently (this is Edexcel M3 and AQA Physics A) M3 compliments the applied physics unit and vice versa, and will look better on a physics application than D1 will. I've done FM in a year with another A2 and another AS and it's not really that hard at all as long as you focus.
Reply 2
Original post by Damask-
Apparently (this is Edexcel M3 and AQA Physics A) M3 compliments the applied physics unit and vice versa, and will look better on a physics application than D1 will. I've done FM in a year with another A2 and another AS and it's not really that hard at all as long as you focus.

Cool, cheers mate i'll definatley go for it then. Did you get an A in FM and did you find A level maths very easy? Because i found it relatively hard but have managed to work through everything alright, i can't help but feel i'll find it too hard, theres no taster sessions!
i do FP2 M3 and D1
Reply 4
Original post by study beats
i do FP2 M3 and D1

And how are they in comparison to say, M1, and c3/c4?
Reply 5
Original post by physicso
Hi, i thought that even though i've posted a few threads (sorry about that) i have emailed some admissions tutors, and i have decided to apply for theoretical physics 2014 entry, and to do so i must complete both Physics and FM next year.

I am reasonably intelligent and work very hard. I have found a level maths fine really - never struggled so far :smile:

Has anyone done anything like this on here? how much did you find either a level difficult?

The FM modules i am decided to take are: D1, S2, M2, FP1-3. Do you think M3 however would work well with level physics instead of D1? Thanks!

Doing 4 AS in one year and 3/4 A2 in the next year is the norm for A-level students, so I don't see why doing 2 AS and 2 A2 in a year would be too much of a stretch. Many schools do Further Maths AS/A2 in one year as well. You will only be doing these two A-levels for the next year, yes?

Keep in mind that FM AS is arguably easier than maths A2, plus the fact that you've done M1 (I'm assuming you've done this?) will make the mechanics parts of Physics a lot easier. I think it should be quite manageable for you, especially with two very related subjects in maths and physics, provided you put in the required effort.
Reply 6
Cool, cheers mate i'll definatley go for it then. Did you get an A in FM and did you find A level maths very easy? Because i found it relatively hard but have managed to work through everything alright, i can't help but feel i'll find it too hard, theres no taster sessions!

I found maths had its ups and downs (missed out on the A* because of my C4 UMS, so I'm resitting) but I got (C1-4): 91, 97, 94, 79 (M1): 96 (S1): 99. Haven't finished FM yet but I think the applied units are about the same difficulty as the applied units in maths.

FP1 is weird but not difficult, FP2 and 3 are pretty tricky. M2 was alright, S2 and S3 are fine, and I don't do M3 so I can't really compare it. I'm on track to get an A in FM but I'm aiming for the A*. We do an extra module (D1) so if we do shockingly badly in FP2/3 then we can submit that instead. :wink:
And how are they in comparison to say, M1, and c3/c4?

D1 is like C1/S1

FP2 is harder than C4

M3 is like C4, but more mechanical knowledge and application is required
Reply 8
Original post by study beats
D1 is like C1/S1

FP2 is harder than C4

M3 is like C4, but more mechanical knowledge and application is required

So M3 is pretty tough then, yeah i have heard similar things to what you're saying, i'm hopefully doing T.Physics at university so D1 seems irrelevant and boring, so i'll give it a miss! Anyway, i can't revise for things i don't have an interest for!

I guess FP3 is an absolute killer then?
So M3 is pretty tough then, yeah i have heard similar things to what you're saying, i'm hopefully doing T.Physics at university so D1 seems irrelevant and boring, so i'll give it a miss! Anyway, i can't revise for things i don't have an interest for!

I guess FP3 is an absolute killer then?

yes FP3 is also very hard and its right up there....

but D1 is easy, but it could be boring to you if u find it uninteresting......

also M3 will only be hard if u find that uninteresting too

Quick Reply

Latest