The Student Room Group

Oxbridge Computer Science Course

I am going for a computer science course and want to apply to Oxford or Cambridge, either pure CompSci or CompSci and Maths (Oxford)
I cannot decide which AS levels I should take on to A2.
Currently I am doing:

Maths

Further Maths

Chemistry

Computing

Physics

But I have to drop one subject, clearly not maths or further but I am stuck deciding between the other 3.

Also do Oxbridge value an EPQ in a relevant area?
Thanks in advance. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Drop whichever one you enjoy the least and/or the one you get the lowest mark in (except Maths and Further Maths).
Reply 2
Original post by dakenSoren

I cannot decide which AS levels I should take on to A2.

This hits the nail on the head:
Original post by d0m3
Drop whichever one you enjoy the least and/or the one you get the lowest mark in (except Maths and Further Maths).

None of the three gives you a particular advantage, so do what you enjoy most.

Also do Oxbridge value an EPQ in a relevant area?

We like to see that students are enthusiastic about the subject they're applying for, and also know what it involves. Doing an EPQ, e.g. a programming-based one, is one way to demonstrate that.
Reply 3
Original post by d0m3

Ok thanks :smile:.
Reply 4
Original post by gavinlowe
This hits the nail on the head:

None of the three gives you a particular advantage, so do what you enjoy most.

We like to see that students are enthusiastic about the subject they're applying for, and also know what it involves. Doing an EPQ, e.g. a programming-based one, is one way to demonstrate that.

Ok, thanks. I'll probably narrow it down to Chemistry or Physics as I'm really looking forward to the A2 coursework.

My EPQ will be a desktop productivity suite (planner, calender, tasks e.g.) in C# so it should be relevant enough.

Another question: Do you have any opinions on these things I'll be doing and their effect on my application?

AEA - Maths advanced extension award

Nuffield Research Placement (4-6 week Summer computing project)

Crest awards (goes with Nuffield Research Project)

Duke of Edinburgh (skill part is computing based)

Reply 5

Another question: Do you have any opinions on these things I'll be doing and their effect on my application?

AEA - Maths advanced extension award

Nuffield Research Placement (4-6 week Summer computing project)

Crest awards (goes with Nuffield Research Project)

Duke of Edinburgh (skill part is computing based)

AEA -- this is certainly a good thing: Computer Science is a mathematical subject, so improving your mathematical skills will help both with the application and if you subsequently get a place.

Nuffield/Crest: these sound good in principle, but it depends on precisely what you'd be doing: if you're gaining programming experience, that's good; if you're just doing data entry, that's less good.

DoE: the same comments apply; but in addition you could do it just to have fun.

Reply 6
Thank you very much for the feedback.
It helps clarify points which I was worried were explained with bias from my teachers. :smile:
I'll be doing all of the above and will apply to either pure CompSci at Oxford or Cambridge or I'll apply for CompSci and maths at Oxford.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending