The Student Room Group

AEA without preparation?

So I am going to take STEP I and II this summer and until now I was mostly focused on A levels and i'll start working on it very soon on daily basis. I was wondering whether studying for STEP also prepares you for AEA? Shall I sit AEA along with STEP? It is just on the same day as STEP I and that is ridiculous, 6 hours of maths exam..
Reply 1
Original post by hassassin04
So I am going to take STEP I and II this summer and until now I was mostly focused on A levels and i'll start working on it very soon on daily basis. I was wondering whether studying for STEP also prepares you for AEA? Shall I sit AEA along with STEP? It is just on the same day as STEP I and that is ridiculous, 6 hours of maths exam..

The exams require a similar mindset and similar types of skills, but some people prefer the layout of the AEA paper (7 pure questions, no choice of question) and others prefer STEP (8 pure, 3 mech, 2 Stats, with a choice of questions).

6 hours of exams really isn't a lot (well it wasn't for those of us who did the old 3-hour A level exam papers :smile: ) - if you're planning on doing any "serious" maths at Uni then you shouldn't be afraid of spending that amount of time on Maths problems!

Are you taking STEP (and possibly AEA) for an offer, or just out of curiosity? What preparation have you done for STEP already?

Have you checked the deadline for entering for AEA if your school hasn't entered you for it yet?
Reply 2
Original post by hassassin04

The style of papers are very different, which might catch you out. It's not too much to look at some AEA papers before sitting the exam surely :confused:

Having said that, if you focus on STEP I and II, you should find AEA quite nice by comparison.

You will have to learn vectors properly though; AEA doesn't let you ignore them
Reply 3
Original post by davros

Are you taking STEP (and possibly AEA) for an offer, or just out of curiosity? What preparation have you done for STEP already?

Have you checked the deadline for entering for AEA if your school hasn't entered you for it yet?

Yeah I will do STEP I and II for Warwick. As for preparation I have not done much yet. I did most of Siklos booklets stuff. I know that I should start it ASAP and I will.
And OMG about the deadline hah..I'll see the exams officer tomorrow. I have just decided to take it.

Original post by shamika
The style of papers are very different, which might catch you out. It's not too much to look at some AEA papers before sitting the exam surely :confused:

Having said that, if you focus on STEP I and II, you should find AEA quite nice by comparison.

You will have to learn vectors properly though; AEA doesn't let you ignore them

Yes you are right, the best way to answer my question is to try a few past papers. I checked a couple of them but did not attempt it seriously. Because right now I am not very confident about STEP so I don't want to make a judgement about AEA. But I suppose getting 2 in STEP I would be generally easier than a distinction in AEA.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending