The Student Room Group

diffrentiation by ab-initio method

can any help me out how to differentiate x^x by ab-initio method or first principle
limh0(x+h)x+hxxh=limh0(x+h)x[limh0(x+h)h(xx+h)xh]=xx[limh0(x+h)h1hlimh0(xx+h)x1h]\displaystyle\begin{aligned}\lim_{h\to 0}\frac{(x+h)^{x+h}-x^x}{h}&=\lim_{h\to 0} (x+h)^x\left[\lim_{h\to 0}\frac{(x+h)^h-\left(\frac{x}{x+h}\right)^x}{h}\right]\\&=x^x\left[\lim_{h\to 0} \frac{(x+h)^h-1}{h}-\lim_{h\to 0} \frac{\left(\frac{x}{x+h}\right)^x-1}{h}\right] \end{aligned}

Expand both expressions binomially, noting that (xx+h)x=(1hx+h)x\left(\frac{x}{x+h}\right)^x= \left(1-\frac{h}{x+h}\right)^x. The first expression will need a little more work afterwards.
Reply 2
really thnx a lot :smile: for helpn me out
Reply 3
Original post by Lord of the Flies
The first expression will need a little more work afterwards.

Starting from the beginning, I wrote out the first-principles definition of ddxxx\frac{d}{dx}x^x, stared at it and found it impossible. I thought it was a bit more "obvious what to do at each step" to:

prove the chain rule

prove that exp differentiates to itself

prove the product rule

prove the "inverse function theorem" as my course called it: ddxf1(x)=1f(f1(x))\frac{d}{dx}f^{-1}(x) = \frac{1}{f'(f^{-1}(x))}

prove that log differentiates to 1/x

put it all together

especially since each individual bit is standard bookwork.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Smaug123

Well yes, but a binomial expansion is also standard textbook, no? As well as being substantially quicker!
Reply 5
Original post by Lord of the Flies
Well yes, but a binomial expansion is also standard textbook, no? As well as being substantially quicker!

This is true, but embarrassingly enough it didn't occur to me to carry one out…

Quick Reply

Latest