The Student Room Group

Boycott Israeli Products

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Steevee
Do you even know of any Israelu products people buy on a regular basis?

Anyway, it doesn't really seem like a war crime took place. More an unfortunate accident. But don't let that stop you frothing at the mouth with your anti-Israel sentiment.

What's wrong with being anti-Israeli?
Reply 21
oy vey, this is like the holocaust all over again :nooo:
Reply 22
Original post by Kiss
What's wrong with being anti-Israeli?

Well, I disagree with it. What I disagree with more though is people taking an event like this and screaming 'War crime!'

If Hamas had the weapons Israel does, there wouldn't be an Israel.

Don't get me wrong, I think there's fault on both sides, it's just people who are anti-Israel are often giant hypocrites and think Israel are the big bad, evil boogey monster when in reality, they're just not.
Those lists are handy, so that people can be sure to buy Israeli products. Of course, I can't really help doing it, what with the whole 'living in Israel' thing. You did leave out a lot of things, such as the computer and phone technology which you are probably using, developed by Israeli firms or Israeli branches of international ones, or the Israeli irrigation technology which is probably used to produce some of the food you eat.
Is it me or do a lot of students jump on the anti-israeli band wagon without knowing all the facts purely because they think its fashionable to do so?
Reply 25
Original post by 0906079
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-22145144

Israel has just stated that it will not conduct a criminal investigation into the bombing of a house in Gaza this time last year that left 12 civilians dead. They have labeled the deaths "regrettable".

In case the images aren't visible, here is the link:

http://www.inminds.co.uk/boycott-israel-2012.php

boycott-card.jan2012.front.640.jpg
2.jpg

There are hundreds of countries that have done things worse than this or equal to.
I won't be giving up anything.
The U.K. has probably got some dirty secrets that we don't know about. I won't be boycotting anything. Just because the government has done something doesn't mean that producers, companies etc. should suffer. Not that they will, this "boycotting" will never reach a scale large enough to even dent the profits of these companies.

Also I hope you make note of all the Israeli scientific and medical advances. So that you know, when you need certain treatments, you won't have them because they're Israeli.

Israel leads the world in the number of scientists and technicians in the workforce, 63% more than the U.S. It also has the most physicians and engineers per capita.
Israel’s scientific research institutions are ranked 3rd in the world.
Israel is ranked 2nd in space sciences.
Israel produces the 3rd most scientific papers per capita, and the most in stem cell science.
More Israeli patents are registered in the United States than from Russia, India and China combined (combined population 2.5 billion). It leads the world in patents for medical equipment.
Israeli companies invented the drip irrigation system, discovered the world’s most used drug for multiple sclerosis, designed the Pentium NMX Chip technology and the Pentium 4 and Centrium microprocessors, created Instant Messenger (ICQ).
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Steevee
Do you even know of any Israelu products people buy on a regular basis?

Anyway, it doesn't really seem like a war crime took place. More an unfortunate accident. But don't let that stop you frothing at the mouth with your anti-Israel sentiment.

Marks and Spencers, Sainsburys, Tesco and Waitrose all sell Israeli-grown new potatoes, avocados, oranges and also some other products like canned fruit are sourced from Israel and are fairly widely sold.

Given the way the Israeli government completely ignore the endless requests that they stop stealing Palestinian land and building settlements on it, against numerous UN resolutions, it does seem rather dubious to be buying Israeli goods here as if nothing is wrong. They need to be pressured into changing their ways by us, because a corrupted US political process means they see no other reason to change their oppressive policies.
Original post by AverageExcellence
Is it me or do a lot of students jump on the anti-israeli band wagon without knowing all the facts purely because they think its fashionable to do so?

Or do they know the facts better than you think?
Original post by Fullofsurprises

Clearly not, if we're to judge by your not exactly well-informed post above. That is, if you're offering yourself as an example.
Original post by AdvanceAndVanquish
Clearly not, if we're to judge by your not exactly well-informed post above. That is, if you're offering yourself as an example.

In what ways was it not well-informed?

Clearly not because they think the bombing of Gaza was an unprovoked terror attack from the Israeli state when Isreal supply the country with aid.. and instead of building hospitals and schools like any decent country should they spend the money on arsenals of rockets to attack them.

Considering all of Israels neighbours and beyond have tried to invade it at one time or another and have expressed interest in driving them into the sea do you think Israel will excuse any attacks on its soil?

Don't get me wrong i do feel bad for Gazans and innocent families caught up in the chaos who don't deserve it. But Hamas doesn't make thing any easier for itself.

Not to mention that most sectarian Jews don't want to be in the west bank or blockade gaza, but considering when they did withdraw from there a hostile government moved in committed and backed by Iran to removing them by any means could easily be replicated in the West bank.. AND a similar 'settlement' situation occured in sinai and when peace negotiations were met they removed them and completely withdrew. So any parallels of them being anything like nazis is just plane ridiculous.. similar to the idea that Thatcher was anything like a fascist.
In what ways was it not well-informed?

Firstly, in your assertion that Israel engages in 'stealing Palestinian land.' This reveals an ignorance of the current and historical legal status of the land in the contested territories of Judea and Samaria, frequently called the West Bank, as well as of the history of land in the region more generally. It reveals an ignorance of the process by which construction is authorised in Israeli communities in Judea and Samaria. It reveals an ignorance of the artificiality and dishonesty of the whole concept of Palestinians when they are presented as a counterpoint to Israelis.
Your reference to the UN seems to imply that you are ill-informed about the facts which make the UN's claim to any sort of moral authourity a sick joke. And your reference to oppressive policies reveals an ignorance of the actual nature of Israeli policies, which are so lenient towards Israel's mortal enemies that they pt the Israeli people at constant risk for the sake of international public relations.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by AverageExcellence

Students have a habit of doing that sort of thing.
Original post by 0906079
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-22145144
Israel has just stated that it will not conduct a criminal investigation into the bombing of a house in Gaza this time last year that left 12 civilians dead. They have labeled the deaths "regrettable".
In case the images aren't visible, here is the link:
http://www.inminds.co.uk/boycott-israel-2012.php

I disagree with many, many things that Israel does (settlements, ...) but disagree with the Hamas warmongers even more.
This was a sad and regrettable incident that occurred during a conflict which Hamas started. It was not a war crime, and Israel's decision is correct.
Original post by AdvanceAndVanquish
Firstly, in your assertion that Israel engages in 'stealing Palestinian land.' This reveals an ignorance of the current and historical legal status of the land in the contested territories of Judea and Samaria, frequently called the West Bank, as well as of the history of land in the region more generally. It reveals an ignorance of the process by which construction is authorised in Israeli communities in Judea and Samaria. It reveals an ignorance of the artificiality and dishonesty of the whole concept of Palestinians when they are presented as a counterpoint to Israelis.

Without going into all the complexities of each case, there have been so many requests from many countries that Israel stop expanding their settlements, particularly into contested areas in E. Jerusalem, that it is hard to believe that outside of the Israeli bubble anyone takes the claim seriously that it's artificial and dishonest that Palestinians are being wronged by it, systematically and over a long period.

I think the international community have repeatedly been ignored by Israel on this very important point and the reason they ignore it is that they know that the US will take their side, no matter how infamous, cruel or brutal their behaviour, which it frequently has been. And let's not even get started on all the journalists and Western peace activists their soldiers have 'accidentally' killed.

What we need is genuine engagement by Israel in a willingness to engage with a peace process that means something and isn't constantly and flagrantly ignored by Israel whenever it suits them. Hamas do behave badly but much of it could be dealt with better than it has been. I'm not however talking about the retaliatory strikes of Israel for Hamas rocket attacks, which at least have some justification, but for the continued land grabs and blocks on any ability for the Palestinians to form a viable state.
Without going into all the complexities of each case, there have been so many requests from many countries that Israel stop expanding their settlements, particularly into contested areas in E. Jerusalem, that it is hard to believe that outside of the Israeli bubble anyone takes the claim seriously that it's artificial and dishonest that Palestinians are being wronged by it, systematically and over a long period.

I think the international community have repeatedly been ignored by Israel on this very important point and the reason they ignore it is that they know that the US will take their side, no matter how infamous, cruel or brutal their behaviour, which it frequently has been. And let's not even get started on all the journalists and Western peace activists their soldiers have 'accidentally' killed.

What we need is genuine engagement by Israel in a willingness to engage with a peace process that means something and isn't constantly and flagrantly ignored by Israel whenever it suits them. Hamas do behave badly but much of it could be dealt with better than it has been. I'm not however talking about the retaliatory strikes of Israel for Hamas rocket attacks, which at least have some justification, but for the continued land grabs and blocks on any ability for the Palestinians to form a viable state.
I'm not contesting the appalling levels of ignorance and dishonesty that Israel is up against. Indeed, that is kind of the point. An extremely inaccurate narrative has become entrenched around the world, leading to condemnations from a position of ignorance or confusion. For example, the very concept that there are a distinct Palestinian people, in any relevant sense, to set against Israelis, is one of the most pernicious and enduring myths of the Arab-Israeli conflict. The British Mandate of Palestine, comprising the Ottoman province of Palestine and an 'unincorporated' piece of land across the Jordan, was divided into several states or parts of states. The Jewish Palestinians were given a chunk in the west, which, with slight modification, became Israel. The Jewish Palestinians, and a number of Arab and other Palestinians, became Israelis. Most of the land of Palestine became an Arab state. This was called Transjordan, later changed to Jordan, and most Arab Palestinians became Jordanians. Some of the Arab Palestinians; those who lived in Gaza, were conquered by Egypt. Shortly before the Palestinian Jews, now called Israelis, conquered some more of historic Palestine in a defensive war, there appeared this new identity of Palestinian, in a bid to separate themselves and deny the claims of all the other Palestinians, who were helpfully calling themselves Israelis and Jordanians, not Palestinians, any more. That most people accept just one group of people; the Arab residents of some small parts of Palestine in the 1960s, and those who claim descent from them, as some sort of mythical 'indigenous people' of the area, shows just how serious general ignorance about the region, its people, and its history, is.

After that, we get on to the myth that this invented group has a greater claim to Judea and Samaria than Israel. Following this, we have the myth that Israeli behaviour has frequently been 'infamous, brutal, or cruel.' It is a travesty that this charge is even levelled at a country which engages murderous terrorists with non-lethal weapons. Israel is so soft on her mortal enemies that it puts her own soldiers and civilians at risk. Meanwhile, the idea of deliberately killed journalists or 'peace' activists is a blood libel of the most infamous sort. Remember that Israel, unlike all her neighbours, and certainly unlike the areas ruled by Fatah or Hamas, has a free press; her soldiers and police operate under unparalleled scrutiny. They allow not just reporters but also hostile foreign activists access to their activities. This is in contrast to the forces of her enemies, who do not operate under any independent media scrutiny nor have the slightest tolerance for hostile political protest, even going so far as to threaten or even kill broadly sympathetic activists of a slightly different persuasion.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 37
Cheers for the list.

I'll make sure to buy more Israeli products.
Reply 38
Original post by 0906079
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-22145144Israel has just stated that it will not conduct a criminal investigation into the bombing of a house in Gaza this time last year that left 12 civilians dead. They have labeled the deaths "regrettable".In case the images aren't visible, here is the link:http://www.inminds.co.uk/boycott-israel-2012.phpboycott-card.jan2012.front.640.jpg2.jpg
what are israeli products? afaik they only make military tech like uzis so unless you are a drug dealer, you dont buy stuff from israel anyway. If israel made iphones im sure most people would tell you to f off, even moslems.
Original post by FCI
what are israeli products? afaik they only make military tech like uzis so unless you are a drug dealer, you dont buy stuff from israel anyway. If israel made iphones im sure most people would tell you to f off, even moslems.

You clearly haven't read the other posts.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending