The Student Room Group

What worthwhile causes could £10m be spent on?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rybee
Find me 1 single person who doesn't mind their hard earned cash being thrown at '****ing lazy losers who haven't done a days work in their life' and I'll chew my own elbow off and eat a shoe and drink my own piss.

Reply 21
wow 10mill? I mean 10k I understand but 10mill??? you could pay for a thousand funerals.
Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
We prefer to call them hard truths to be honest. You're welcome to live in a fantasy, but some of us want to discuss things that are real and palpable.

There's the rep back. :biggrin:
Original post by Hackett
I love how everyone kicks up a fuss about the cost, yet don't when your hard earned cash is being thrown at ****ing lazy losers who haven't done a days work in their life.

Britain's skewed mentality.

I love how right wingers completely justify spending £10 million on a dead person but kick up a fuss when you try and spend that on living poor people.
Original post by Vikki1805
:daydreaming:

"Margaret Thatcher's funeral: 23 things you could pay for with £10m
Margaret Thatcher's funeral will cost around £10m, although we won't know the exact figure - and how much of it is being spent by the state - until afterwards.
What else can £10m pay for? Here are some ideas ...

322 nurses

Based on a median annual salary of £31,095

272 secondary school teachers

Based on a median annual salary of £36,789

320 fire officers

Based on a median annual salary of £31,258

269 paramedics

Based on a median annual salary of £37,164

Four months' worth of the state's contribution to the Monarchy

Per year it costs the UK £32m

7,042 households' electricity and gas bills

Based on a typical annual dual fuel bill of £1,420 each

25,773 households' annual water bills

£388 per household average

44 libraries

£963,284,000 spent on libraries in 2011-12 - for 4,265 'service points'

177,777 jobseekers' allowance claimants

On £56.25 a week each

1,199 students' annual tuition fees

Average tuition fees are £8,338

10 days of arts spending

Annual spending on the arts for a year: £398m

Two years of UK foreign aid to Iraq

It costs the UK £5m a year

Two and a half Leveson Inquiries

The cost of the Inquiry was £3.9m

Two weeks of the BBC World Service

The annual FCO spending on the World Service is £255m

Two years of the Wales Office

152 MPs' basic salaries

Before allowances, this is £65,738 each

16,949,152 pints of milk - enough to give everyone in London two pints each

Based on a price of 59p each

60% of a Trident missile

Cost: £16.8m each

49 days of British forces in the Falklands

Based on annual spending of £75m

Flights for everyone in the Falklands to the UK and back and a trip up the Shard each. Three times over

Return flight (plus tax): £1,208, Shard: £24.95

400 black Asprey 'Margaret Thatcher' handbags

Her handbag sold for £25,000 at auction

6,079 duck houses for MPs claiming on expenses

The amount that former Conservative MP Peter Viggers claimed for a floating duck house was £1,645

11,111 public health funerals

These are free funerals for poor people or those without any relatives or money, each costs the state £900"

Original source - http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2013/apr/16/margaret-thatcher-funeral-10-million

Ok, I am in no way a supporter of Thatcherism but this whole argument is just based on the Mirror and the Guardian's almost Daily Mail-esque report on the cost of the funeral. All the policemen and soldiers are on duty anyway, this is just them standing somewhere else for the day. They don't hire people specifically they are full time employees of the state being put to a different use than they usually are. So actually if you wanted to spend £10 million on any of those things you wouldn't give Thatcher a low-key funeral, you'd make the police and soldiers go a day without pay.

£10 million was the upper limit of the estimated costs. If you take away wages (effectively already spent) then you are left with the cost for things like flowers and the extra security which would be considerably less than the quoted amount.

I accept it's an over the top ceremony seen by many as being in bad taste but people packed out the streets so clearly wanted to pay their respects. If all you are paying for is security and ordinary funeral costs, then today would have been expensive regardless of the scale and grandeur of the funeral. Sorry, I just find this whole debate poorly considered.
I'd have issues if my tax money was being spent on some of these 'worthwhile' causes...

I accept it's an over the top ceremony seen by many as being in bad taste but people packed out the streets so clearly wanted to pay their respects. If all you are paying for is security and ordinary funeral costs, then today would have been expensive regardless of the scale and grandeur of the funeral. Sorry, I just find this whole debate poorly considered

Maybe less money would have needed to be spent on security if people hadn't promised to go out there and act like idiots too, which I find completely unnecessary. Ridiculous that they complain about the cost yet they make threats which heighten the need for security.
Reply 27
Original post by That Bearded Man
I love how right wingers completely justify spending £10 million on a dead person but kick up a fuss when you try and spend that on living poor people.

A deceased person that achieved far more in her lifetime then any aforementioned person claiming benefits. That is for sure.
Original post by Hackett
I love how everyone kicks up a fuss about the cost, yet don't when your hard earned cash is being thrown at ****ing lazy losers who haven't done a days work in their life.

Britain's skewed mentality.

I've kicked up a fuss regarding that many times.

Either way, I wouldn't say this thread is me "kicking up a fuss" but more making a point.

It's an awful lot of money and at least some of it could probably have been spent on more worth while causes.
How much is she worth? some of it be returned through inheritance tax anyway.

I actually don't give a **** anymore, sick of hearing about it! the money has been spent and its over now.
:daydreaming:

"Margaret Thatcher's funeral: 23 things you could pay for with £10m
Margaret Thatcher's funeral will cost around £10m, although we won't know the exact figure - and how much of it is being spent by the state - until afterwards.
What else can £10m pay for? Here are some ideas ...

322 nurses

Based on a median annual salary of £31,095

272 secondary school teachers

Based on a median annual salary of £36,789

320 fire officers

Based on a median annual salary of £31,258

269 paramedics

Based on a median annual salary of £37,164

Four months' worth of the state's contribution to the Monarchy

Per year it costs the UK £32m

7,042 households' electricity and gas bills

Based on a typical annual dual fuel bill of £1,420 each

25,773 households' annual water bills

£388 per household average

44 libraries

£963,284,000 spent on libraries in 2011-12 - for 4,265 'service points'

177,777 jobseekers' allowance claimants

On £56.25 a week each

1,199 students' annual tuition fees

Average tuition fees are £8,338

10 days of arts spending

Annual spending on the arts for a year: £398m

Two years of UK foreign aid to Iraq

Two and a half Leveson Inquiries

The cost of the Inquiry was £3.9m

Two weeks of the BBC World Service

The annual FCO spending on the World Service is £255m

Two years of the Wales Office

152 MPs' basic salaries

Before allowances, this is £65,738 each

16,949,152 pints of milk - enough to give everyone in London two pints each

Based on a price of 59p each

60% of a Trident missile

Cost: £16.8m each

49 days of British forces in the Falklands

Based on annual spending of £75m

Flights for everyone in the Falklands to the UK and back and a trip up the Shard each. Three times over

Return flight (plus tax): £1,208, Shard: £24.95

400 black Asprey 'Margaret Thatcher' handbags

Her handbag sold for £25,000 at auction

6,079 duck houses for MPs claiming on expenses

The amount that former Conservative MP Peter Viggers claimed for a floating duck house was £1,645

11,111 public health funerals

These are free funerals for poor people or those without any relatives or money, each costs the state £900"

Original source - http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2013/apr/16/margaret-thatcher-funeral-10-million

Bargain. £10 million isn't that much in relation to the budget, and it's done so really there's bugger all point in going on about it.
(edited 11 years ago)
it could have bought me a massive yacht.
Original post by thunder_chunky
Bargain. £10 million isn't that much in relation to the budget, and it's done so really there's bugger all point in going on about it.

Nice edit.
Nice edit.

I thought I'd give a serious answer first.
Pay less than 1/5 of a days membership to the EU
Reply 36
Original post by SimpleTom
Most of the money is the Royal Family's security.

Thatcher is one of the defining women of our age, for good or for bad, however she still is owed some respect. 10 million in the scheme of things is nothing - we are trillions in debt and borrow over 10 Billion every month.

Oh that makes everything alright then , let not care if we waste more
And the 70 billion she saved the country with the EU rebate.

What worthwhile causes could we spend that on? :rolleyes:
Reply 38
Original post by thunder_chunky

People like you are why politicians can do what they want, its done now not much we can do about it ,pathetic attitude
Reply 39
Instead of worrying so much about a one off funeral of approximately £10 million how about we focus on the queens "£5 million INCREASE" of tax payers money. This is whats still going on and the tax payers are paying her more than £30 million every single year and we will be continuing to pay this. This is what we all should be questioning because it is still going on and it needs to stop

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending