The Student Room Group

Help my boyfriends friend is in love with me.

I am in need of some advice, as the title of the thread suggests I have a big dilemma on my hands. Basically I am worried that my boyfriends friend is in love with me. The three of us are all good friends but now I find myself thinking that my friend is in love with me.

This could all be in my head and it is entirely possible that I could be mistaking his general friendliness for something that doesnt even exist. He has never made a pass at me or told me that he thinks of me in a romantic sense. In fact he has said on a couple of occasions that he doesnt think of me in 'that way' and he thinks of me as one of his dearest, if not dearest friends. But I am still unsure after all I couldnt blame him for being madly in love with me.

I am unsure if I should say something and risk ruining our friendship or making things awkward between us. Should I carry on being mean to him and pushing him away for what could be no reason? I know that I could be considered a terrible person for punishing him in this way. It is beginning to ruin our friendship. We used to be great friends but now I am somewhat worried that with me pushing him away sooner or later I will lose my friend. Over the past year we have drifted further and further apart and I no longer take the time to speak to him or meet up. I have even gone as far as not replying to him, or speaking at all for weeks at a time. I now completely blank him on social occasions and avoid having a conversation at all costs. He has mentioned a few times to me that he thinks we arent as close as we once were and expressed his worry. He has even gone as far as trying to repair our friendship which makes me think even more that he is crazily in love with me.

My friend is a real sweetheart and deep down I know he would not do anything to compromise our friendship or my relationship for that matter. I dont want things to be awkward or drive a wedge between us but I feel that we can no longer be friends. I cant imagine my life without either my boyfriend or friend however I feel the only way to resolve this is to completely ignore my friend pushing him away until we are no longer friends without discussing the matter.

Can a girl and a boy really be friends? Do any of you girls have male friends who you speak with regularly? I was wondering if anyone, preferably someone who has a close male friend and boyfriend could offer any advice on the matter.

Steph.
(edited 11 years ago)
It's just natural for a human being to develop feelings for another if enough time is spent with him/her.. a man doesn't just spend time with a girl for nothing, he likes your company, obviously.. maybe you should spend less time with him in order to signal that you have no interest.
My friend was in this situation. Her boyfriend of 2 years was best friends with some guy, and all three hung out all the time. After my friend and her bf split, the other guy was still hanging around her until in the end on a drunken night out, he kept telling us all that he loved her. She obviously had no feelings for him so in the end she cut him off completely for both her and his sake. He's now moved on and they are friends again, however it took a while for him to move on.

I think you should still stay friends with him and don't say anything directly to him about how you feel. I'd probably try to make subtle hints such as how much of a good friend he is and how you see him as a brother or something, but I wouldn't be mean to him. If he did like you, then he can't help how he feels.
What makes you think he actually feels this way? He's probably wondering what on earth he's done wrong, i would be if someone suddenly started acting like that to me.

My best friend is a girl and even though everyone thinks i'm in love with her (or that we're a couple already) because we spend so much tme together, or the fact we're quite close, that is not the case. I felt nothing when she got a boyfriend in fact I ended up becoming friends with him too, we hung out as a 3 quite a lot. Didn't really bother me. When they broke up everyone thought i was trying it on when in fact i was just trying to cheer up my friend as any half decent person would. She is attractive and i've told her this many times, but the thought of actually doing anything with her feels so wrong.

Ignoring him is just stupid especially when you have no idea if he actually does feel that way. You bringing it up really isn't going to do much good. Might be worth trying to get him to talk about other girls he may be interested in, etc.
Original post by steph889
I am in need of some advice, as the title of the thread suggests I have a big dilemma on my hands. Basically I am worried that my boyfriends friend is in love with me. The three of us are all good friends but now I find myself thinking that my friend is in love with me.

This could all be in my head and it is entirely possible that I could be mistaking his general friendliness for something that doesnt even exist. He has never made a pass at me or told me that he thinks of me in a romantic sense. In fact he has said on a couple of occasions that he doesnt think of me in 'that way' and he thinks of me as one of his dearest, if not dearest friends. But I am still unsure after all I couldnt blame him for being madly in love with me.

I am unsure if I should say something and risk ruining our friendship or making things awkward between us. Should I carry on being mean to him and pushing him away for what could be no reason? I know that I could be considered a terrible person for punishing him in this way. It is beginning to ruin our friendship. We used to be great friends but now I am somewhat worried that with me pushing him away sooner or later I will lose my friend. Over the past year we have drifted further and further apart and I no longer take the time to speak to him or meet up. I have even gone as far as not replying to him, or speaking at all for weeks at a time. I now completely blank him on social occasions and avoid having a conversation at all costs. He has mentioned a few times to me that he thinks we arent as close as we once were and expressed his worry. He has even gone as far as trying to repair our friendship which makes me think even more that he is crazily in love with me.

My friend is a real sweetheart and deep down I know he would not do anything to compromise our friendship or my relationship for that matter. I dont want things to be awkward or drive a wedge between us but I feel that we can no longer be friends. I cant imagine my life without either my boyfriend or friend however I feel the only way to resolve this is to completely ignore my friend pushing him away until we are no longer friends without discussing the matter.

Can a girl and a boy really be friends? Do any of you girls have male friends who you speak with regularly? I was wondering if anyone, preferably someone who has a close male friend and boyfriend could offer any advice on the matter.

Steph.

Maybe he is just a kind person, course it is possible to be friends with someone of the opposite sex, I think you are overreacting.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending