The Student Room Group

Desperate for help. Think I may have firmed the wrong degree.

Hi,

Just looking for some independent advice. I'm 35. Married 2 kids. Husband is a full time uni student.

I've just complete access to HE course plus maths and English GCSE and thought I've been aiming for social work or criminology. At the last min I changed and decided I wanted to be an early years teacher as it worked better for my family.

I've firmed early childhood studies at Teeside uni but I just keep thinking I've changed for the wrong reasons. I just keep thinking about how amazing the other degrees would be. How boring mine is blah blah.

I'm driving myself insane! Has a tone got any experience in these fields? Worried about employability after criminology and social work is now closed so I'd have to take a year out

Not really sure what I'm asking just trying to clear my mind :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't know whether this is going to help you or not, but you're in a similar position to me.

I would have loved to have done a degree in Literature or Psychology, but jobs are difficult in both areas. If you don't want to be a journalist or teacher, and you don't want to spend your life getting doctorates in Psychology, your options seem a bit limited. My other option was early years as I have worked in education all of my life so far, and though it was in a support role, being there for kids and helping them shape their lives is something which is hugely important to me. Practicality wise - early years is a growing area of importance. With more people being pushed into working, and families growing, childcare is important. With more emphasis on quality in child care, and provisions for children to help them get over problems etc, the childcare sector is a growing one. Realistically, you are never going to find yourself in the spot of not being able to find work in childcare. I did some voluntary work while doing my Access course, and they offered me a job there and then (obviously I said no :smile:).

At our age - not wishing to sound very boring - it is important that we look at priorities and outcomes rather than just what we fancy for pure academic reasons. An early years degree makes sense - it ticks all of the important boxes.

On a reassuring point, most people unless they want to work in a nursery or children's centre, will need to do something at post grad. I have spent a lot of time on visit days talking to tutors, and all have told me that it is quite normal to do a degree in early years and then post grad in social care, law, psychology or teaching. We have PLENTY of options.

I think you sound like you've thought it through, and done what is sensible for you and your family. After all - we're not 18 and we do have to factor in other things. Would be lovely to stay in touch actually - you're doing more or less the same course as me :wink:

I'm starting at Worcester in September, doing an Early Years Professional Practice degree.
Reply 2
It's normal to have doubts, especially when you're making such a big change to go back into education. But it might help to realise that you don't have to decide just yet, and that it's not impossible to change your mind. You might just be wanting the other course because you think you can't have it, and the grass is always greener.

But it should be possible to change course at the same uni if you ask them. The course might say it's closed but that might just be because they don't want the flood of new applicants they otherwise would get. Alternatively, you could ask the uni to reject you if you wanted to try [wiki]UCAS_Extra[/wiki], or you can wait a while to use Clearing. Or there is of course the option to take a year out and reapply.

It might help to get some work experience. You say that you have children, so would you be able to help out at their school? Even if they're the wrong age for what you want to do it could help, or just ask any other school anyway. Criminology and social work would be a bit harder to arrange, but you could possibly arrange something with a care home which is similar.
Original post by Llysa
Hi,

Just looking for some independent advice. I'm 35. Married 2 kids. Husband is a full time uni student.

I've just complete access to HE course plus maths and English GCSE and thought I've been aiming for social work or criminology. At the last min I changed and decided I wanted to be an early years teacher as it worked better for my family.

I've firmed early childhood studies at Teeside uni but I just keep thinking I've changed for the wrong reasons. I just keep thinking about how amazing the other degrees would be. How boring mine is blah blah.

I'm driving myself insane! Has a tone got any experience in these fields? Worried about employability after criminology and social work is now closed so I'd have to take a year out

Not really sure what I'm asking just trying to clear my mind :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm in a similar predicament.

I'd firmed for Psychology and have now decided a degree in physics would be more along the way I want to go. Seems a big leap, but not so much in some ways.

I've asked my insurance if they will consider me for this degree, and today I had to send in a new personal statement tailored to physics, and it's possible they might want to interview me or ask for a second reference etc.

It's not impossible to change, but just ask yourself if it is because you are getting cold feet, or do you really want to change.

Original post by Juno
It's normal to have doubts, especially when you're making such a big change to go back into education. But it might help to realise that you don't have to decide just yet, and that it's not impossible to change your mind. You might just be wanting the other course because you think you can't have it, and the grass is always greener.

But it should be possible to change course at the same uni if you ask them. The course might say it's closed but that might just be because they don't want the flood of new applicants they otherwise would get. Alternatively, you could ask the uni to reject you if you wanted to try [wiki]UCAS_Extra[/wiki], or you can wait a while to use Clearing. Or there is of course the option to take a year out and reapply.

It might help to get some work experience. You say that you have children, so would you be able to help out at their school? Even if they're the wrong age for what you want to do it could help, or just ask any other school anyway. Criminology and social work would be a bit harder to arrange, but you could possibly arrange something with a care home which is similar.

Excellent advice here from Juno!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
What you're saying is spot on! I think I almost feel like its what I would LOVE to do vs what works for me at 35 with a family :smile:

Thanks for your reply :smile:

Do you have Facebook?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
^^ sorry that was for dotcomfairy. Other replies hasn't shown. Will read now. Thanks for responding :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Juno

I've done voluntary work at my local surestart centre but working at the school would is a great idea. I think I'll call tomorrow. Thanks again :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just private messaged you the link to my Facebook page (hopefully). Let me know if it doesn't work.
Reply 8
My mother is a social worker and worked all her career in the 'out of hours' team, working evenings, overnights and weekends. This was specifically because she had a family. My point is simply that teaching isn't the only family-friendly profession.

If you truly feel that social work is your calling, consider doing what Juno said above - speak to some universities that offer social work and are in Extra, and - if they're prepared to give you an offer for social work - then ask your firmed university to reject you and pick up the offer in Extra instead.
Reply 9
Spoke to my local uni and they've told me they are 100% closed for social work and next intake is 2014. Think I've made peace with what I've chosen but thanks a lot for your input :smile: x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest