The Student Room Group

OCR Geography B GCSE

(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I did Geography on the same exact course last year, and unfortunately case studies came up that I hadn't learnt. Best thing to do is to try and learn them briefly, a few facts and that's it. I would revise everything because I didn't and only just scraped a C. Good luck :smile:.
Reply 2
Original post by gomg
How many case studies do we need as I've been told it's 15, but the ones I can recall doing over the past 2 years are..

Rivers and Coasts

River Coastline Management
River valley and it’s landforms
Coastal Area Landforms
Flooding in an LEDC
Flooding in an MEDC

Natural HazardsTectonic Hazards LEDC
Tectonic Hazard in an MEDC
Climatic Hazard in an LEDC
Climatic Hazard in an MEDC

Population and SettlementOne child policy (china)
UK internal Migration
Social, economic and environmental planning
Retail Service
Multi-National Company

So that leads me to thinking I have one missing from natural hazards, could someone who knows please let me know if these are the correct case studies needed and If i need more, or if there is any I don't need. Thanks :smile:

I got an A* in both the SDME and the coursework.

I'm doing the same course too

You need to study an Aid project in an LEDC too and that comes under Economic Development.

Otherwise that's fine. All the best for your exam!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Can anyone else confirm these are the correct case studies? I need to be 100% sure
Reply 4
Hey I was looking online yesterday because I realised that there is 4 geographical themes, and the exam only tests you on 3, and the ones for this summer are

Rivers and coasts
Natural Hazards
Economic Development

Not population and settlement

ugh why doesn't my teacher tell us these things!!!
Reply 5
Original post by gomg
Hey I was looking online yesterday because I realised that there is 4 geographical themes, and the exam only tests you on 3, and the ones for this summer are

Rivers and coasts
Natural Hazards
Economic Development

Not population and settlement

ugh why doesn't my teacher tell us these things!!!

Considering you got an A* in SDME, how much revision did you do? I really want an A in order to be fully qualified to do A Level Geography. Would you please kindly give me some advice?
Reply 6
Original post by JST1
Considering you got an A* in SDME, how much revision did you do? I really want an A in order to be fully qualified to do A Level Geography. Would you please kindly give me some advice?

As soon as you get the resource booklet, which I think is 3 weeks before the exam (although if you look online it has probably been leaked somewhere!) then I suggest looking at all the possible questions that could be asked of you - we did this for the ageing populations sdme exam and 80% of what we discussed about the resource booklet appeared in the exam.

Also whilst answering the case study question make make make make sure you comment on the sustainability of whatever the thing is about as its the whole purpose of the exam.

Personally, I didn't do much revision at home, most of it was during our geography lessons because ageing populations I found quite straight foward but that's just me:P

(I've also picked geography a-level at my 6th form but I am SO worried not enough people will pick it as only 2 classes in my current year do geography, whilst 4 do history)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by gomg
As soon as you get the resource booklet, which I think is 3 weeks before the exam (although if you look online it has probably been leaked somewhere!) then I suggest looking at all the possible questions that could be asked of you - we did this for the ageing populations sdme exam and 80% of what we discussed about the resource booklet appeared in the exam.

Also whilst answering the case study question make make make make sure you comment on the sustainability of whatever the thing is about as its the whole purpose of the exam.

Personally, I didn't do much revision at home, most of it was during our geography lessons because ageing populations I found quite straight foward but that's just me:P

(I've also picked geography a-level at my 6th form but I am SO worried not enough people will pick it as only 2 classes in my current year do geography, whilst 4 do history)

Oh thanks. I did the Ageing population SDME last year too, only to have achieved an apalling grade D. Got an A in the controlled assessment. I badly need two A's in SDME and Key Geographical Themes, just to be sure that I get an overall A in order to do Geography at A Level.

But anyway, cheers for the advice and good luck with your revision and exams :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by JST1
Oh thanks. I did the Ageing population SDME last year too, only to have achieved an apalling grade D. Got an A in the controlled assessment. I badly need two A's in SDME and Key Geographical Themes, just to be sure that I get an overall A in order to do Geography at A Level.

But anyway, cheers for the advice and good luck with your revision and exams :smile:

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the June SMDE exam about earthquakes? If so you can revise for that and the natural hazards part of key geog themes at the same time :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by gomg
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the June SMDE exam about earthquakes? If so you can revise for that and the natural hazards part of key geog themes at the same time :smile:

It is about earthquakes so that's a first :smile:
Hello all.

OCR B terminal exam paper revision help here: http://www.geographypods.com/terminal-exam-12th-june-2013.html

**still under construction at the moment but will finish in the Easter holidays

OCR B SDME on Hazards - preparation page will develop here, again during my Easter holidays (19 April onwards)

http://www.geographypods.com/june-2013.html

Feel free to use the geographypods site for general revision. It is free but not all of the coasts stuff is up there yet.

Will be back in touch when new revision materials are added.

Take care all

geographypods
Reply 11
Original post by geographypods
Hello all.

OCR B terminal exam paper revision help here: http://www.geographypods.com/terminal-exam-12th-june-2013.html

**still under construction at the moment but will finish in the Easter holidays

OCR B SDME on Hazards - preparation page will develop here, again during my Easter holidays (19 April onwards)

http://www.geographypods.com/june-2013.html

Feel free to use the geographypods site for general revision. It is free but not all of the coasts stuff is up there yet.

Will be back in touch when new revision materials are added.

Take care all

geographypods

Cheers for the Resource booklet link :smile:
No problem. A few more bits and pieces added to the SDME section today. Getting there slowly.

geographypods
Reply 13
No problem. A few more bits and pieces added to the SDME section today. Getting there slowly.

geographypods

Hey could you mark a case study I just did in a past paper, many thanks :smile: I think the 'natural processes causing the hazard' stuff is quite weak.

CASE STUDY: Climatic Hazard in an LEDC

Name and locate an example of a climatic hazard in an LEDC.

Hurricane Isaac, Haiti, hit August 25th 2012

Explain the natural processes causing the hazard and describe its impact on the people in the area. Include at least 3 developed ideas.
The hurricane started in the Atlantic Ocean, then moved west into the Caribbean Sea, then moved north west through Haiti. It was here where the 'eye' stage of the hurricane appeared and developed on August 25th. By now Isaac had attained winds of around 70mph (110mph) so there was severe impacts on the Haiti people to come. The strong winds and heavy rain destroyed many camps set up after the 2010 earthquake so now around 6,000 people were left without shelter and vulnerable to severe weather conditions. Furthermore, 1,000 homes were destroyed given that they were made out of less resistant materials. In total there was $8 million in damage to infrastructure which would be hard to recover from given that agriculture, the countries main source of income, was severely affected with numerous crops destroyed totaling around $240 million. There was also 24 deaths as a result of poor medical attention, debris, lack of shelter and spread of disease due to people being in large groups.
[8]
Original post by gomg
Hey could you mark a case study I just did in a past paper, many thanks :smile: I think the 'natural processes causing the hazard' stuff is quite weak.

Explain the natural processes causing the hazard and describe its impact on the people in the area. Include at least 3 developed ideas.
The hurricane started in the Atlantic Ocean, then moved west into the Caribbean Sea, then moved north west through Haiti. It was here where the 'eye' stage of the hurricane appeared and developed on August 25th. By now Isaac had attained winds of around 70mph (110mph) so there was severe impacts on the Haiti people to come. The strong winds and heavy rain destroyed many camps set up after the 2010 earthquake so now around 6,000 people were left without shelter and vulnerable to severe weather conditions. Furthermore, 1,000 homes were destroyed given that they were made out of less resistant materials. In total there was $8 million in damage to infrastructure which would be hard to recover from given that agriculture, the countries main source of income, was severely affected with numerous crops destroyed totaling around $240 million. There was also 24 deaths as a result of poor medical attention, debris, lack of shelter and spread of disease due to people being in large groups.
[8]

The describe the impact section is done well but you wouldn't pick up too many marks on the 'explain the natural processes' section. Make sure you know what the key ingredients are for the formation of a tropical storm (water temp over 27°C, Ocean depth of up to 50m and a minimum distance from the equator of about 450km). Add this in, and it should shape up to be a higher level response.

regards

geographypods
Exam Revision Pages for 13 June OCR B Key Themes Exam now complete ... phew. That took ages!!

http://www.geographypods.com/terminal-exam-12th-june-2013.html
Reply 16
Original post by gomg
How many case studies do we need as I've been told it's 15, but the ones I can recall doing over the past 2 years are..

Rivers and Coasts

River Coastline Management
River valley and it’s landforms
Coastal Area Landforms
Flooding in an LEDC
Flooding in an MEDC

Natural Hazards
Tectonic Hazards LEDC
Tectonic Hazard in an MEDC
Climatic Hazard in an LEDC
Climatic Hazard in an MEDC

Economic Development
No idea

What do i need for economic development?

I got an A* in both the SDME and the coursework.

You need 13 case studies:

MEDC Tectonic Hazard
LEDC Tectonic Hazard
MEDC CLIMATIC Hazard
LEDC Climatic Hazard

MEDC Location of Industry
LEDC/NIC Location of Industry
Aid Case Study
Globalisation Case Study

River Profile Case Study
MEDC Flooding
LEDC Flooding
Coastal Profile (landforms)
Coastline Management
Reply 17
The describe the impact section is done well but you wouldn't pick up too many marks on the 'explain the natural processes' section. Make sure you know what the key ingredients are for the formation of a tropical storm (water temp over 27°C, Ocean depth of up to 50m and a minimum distance from the equator of about 450km). Add this in, and it should shape up to be a higher level response.

regards

geographypods

Just point out the mark on the question you put as eight. I believe that most schools received a last minute e-mail with regards to the case study questions on this June's paper being out of 11 instead. The mark scheme and approach to the question remains the same just more explicit in the requirements for each mark allowing better discrimination between answers of a similar standard. There will also be more SPAG marks across the paper.
Reply 18
Original post by gomg

[8]

Just point out the mark on the question you put as eight. I believe that most schools received a last minute e-mail this morning with regards to the case study questions on this June's paper being out of 11 instead. The mark scheme and approach to the question remains the same just more explicit in the requirements for each mark allowing better discrimination between answers of a similar standard. There will also be more SPAG marks across the paper
Reply 19
Original post by midgeymoo
Just point out the mark on the question you put as eight. I believe that most schools received a last minute e-mail this morning with regards to the case study questions on this June's paper being out of 11 instead. The mark scheme and approach to the question remains the same just more explicit in the requirements for each mark allowing better discrimination between answers of a similar standard. There will also be more SPAG marks across the paper

Thanks, I heard about this to but it shouldn't be too much of a concern for me.... hopefully :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending