The Student Room Group

Career options for law graduate???

Hi everyone,
i have just finished a law degree at a London university. I am yet to get the final classification for my degree but I can safely say I predict a 2:2. It's proving a bit difficult to get a job or post graduate place which doesn't want 2:1or better.
wat options are available for situations like mine......??
anyone please?
Reply 1
If you're hoping to become a solicitor or barrister your grade is of course going to create an uphill battle - so if this is your intention then you should only really consider such a route if you have displayed excellence outside of academics.

It may be worth looking into central or local government jobs of interest to you outside of graduate schemes.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Hi AP198
thank you for that info, its really helpful.
Indeed it would appear the grade I have has created an even tougher battle.
I was actually now thinking of a career outside the legal sector. Maybe social work or something similar......
I was looking for any pointers in the right direction.
Reply 3
Social work is a good option, it's likely to pay higher in a local government environment plus better prospects for promotion and career structure than say a charity.

http://www.lgjobs.com/ - This is a good website for searching local government jobs, although not that many are entry level, although some are. Perhaps look into work experience and opportunities in social work with charities before applying for direct jobs, as they'll want experience and examples of transferable skills.

Policy related work is also another good option i.e. policy relating to social issues. http://www.w4mpjobs.org - you'll find relevant stuff on here, lots of charities and think tanks operating in a range of policy areas, including social issues.

Best of luck.
Reply 4
Hi again,
thank you very much for the website links.....really helpful, I didn't even know about these sites.
Really appreciate it.
Reply 5
Original post by Kinoski08
Hi again,
thank you very much for the website links.....really helpful, I didn't even know about these sites.
Really appreciate it.

No worries, I hope they help!

Quick Reply