The Student Room Group

As results required for uk med school

Hi I'm currently studying AS levels nd am desperate to get into medicine at uni but I've recently got my exam results back for my first as exams nd am on AAAC in biology,physics, chemistry and maths. I really struggle with maths and don't think that I'll get more than an overall AS grade of a b (ill drop it after AS) but from what I've seen that even if i do well and get AAAB that this isnt a good enough AS result to get into uni for medicine :/ anyone got any idea how much the B will really be when tryin to get into medicine
Original post by Paschalog
Hi I'm currently studying AS levels nd am desperate to get into medicine at uni but I've recently got my exam results back for my first as exams nd am on AAAC in biology,physics, chemistry and maths. I really struggle with maths and don't think that I'll get more than an overall AS grade of a b (ill drop it after AS) but from what I've seen that even if i do well and get AAAB that this isnt a good enough AS result to get into uni for medicine :/ anyone got any idea how much the B will really be when tryin to get into medicine

it is good enough, but look carefully at the admissions requirements of the unis you apply to, some will want an A at as, some will care more about your GCSEs, and if you get a decent UKCAT, that might count for more too...
That could be good enough to get you in (depending on the uni).

Medicine only has 2 requirements, biology (some unis only want at As) and chemistry (most want this carried through to A2), the physics and maths are just bonuses people bring along to up their chances.

Also, a good UKCAT score would do you good too.

Work HARD on these, I can say they are not easy (not through personal experience), the person who got the highest grades in the year last year (3 As and a B (history)) is predicted 2A*s and an A and she got just below average in her score for UKCATS.

Good luck. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Tah, this is really helpful, tbh I was mostly worried just cause of hearing bout how hard it is to get in to study medicine and then the c seemed really low compared to what they ask for but I've got a tutor now so hopefully will get it higher, cheers for the advice guys
Reply 4
Is there any universities that don't mind If you don't have biology??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by suzan0101

Posted from TSR Mobile

Some could take you in with human bio I suppose. =l

You will definitely be able to get into med school with AAAC including A's in Biology and Chemistry. Check the 'A level requirements' in the Medicine wiki for details of each med school's requirements... http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine

Btw, if you've got any other questions about medicine, you can also post in the Current Year 12 Hopeful Medics thread... http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2027388

Good luck!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Scienceisgood
Some could take you in with human bio I suppose. =l

What's human bio

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is there any universities that don't mind If you don't have biology?

Yes. Check the 'A level requirements' in the Medicine wiki for details of each med school's requirements... http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine

Btw, if you've got any other questions about medicine, you can also post in the Current Year 12 Hopeful Medics thread... http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2027388

Edit: human bio = Human Biology. I don't think is accepted in lieu of Biology

Good luck!
Original post by Pastaferian
Yes. Check the 'A level requirements' in the Medicine wiki for details of each med school's requirements... http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine

Btw, if you've got any other questions about medicine, you can also post in the Current Year 12 Hopeful Medics thread... http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2027388

Edit: human bio = Human Biology. I don't think is accepted in lieu of Biology

Good luck!

According to those links, Edinborough, Glasgow, Dundee, Nottingham and South Hampton do allow you to take human bio in place of bio.
According to those links, Edinborough, Glasgow, Dundee, Nottingham and South Hampton do allow you to take human bio in place of bio.

Yes, you're right. I meant one shouldn't assume that Human Biology will be accepted in lieu of Biology, but it's not what I wrote. Well spotted :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Pastaferian
Yes, you're right. I meant one shouldn't assume that Human Biology will be accepted in lieu of Biology, but it's not what I wrote. Well spotted :smile:

Thanks but I don't do human biology
I do maths chem phy Eco and Turkish AS. I've checked the link its great

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks but I don't do human biology
I do maths chem phy Eco and Turkish AS. I've checked the link its great

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry but Bio and Chem are the foundations of medicine, then they ask for a 3rd science (including maths) and the fourth they say they don't care.
Sorry but Bio and Chem are the foundations of medicine, then they ask for a 3rd science (including maths) and the fourth they say they don't care.

Which uni are you talking about? Virtually all want A2 Chemistry, most want either A2 Biology or A2 Maths, and few care about the third (or fourth) A2. A few Cambridge colleges are the only ones that want 3 A2 sciences/maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile

newcastle, sheffield, oxford and bristol.
maybe more but i know those for definite as my friend holds offers for all 4, she takes physics, chemistry maths and further maths.
Tah, this is really helpful, tbh I was mostly worried just cause of hearing bout how hard it is to get in to study medicine and then the c seemed really low compared to what they ask for but I've got a tutor now so hopefully will get it higher, cheers for the advice guys

i have a friend with an offer for liverpool and she got AABC at AS- B in chemistry and C in maths.
anything is possible!
Reply 16
Original post by indigoheart
newcastle, sheffield, oxford and bristol.
maybe more but i know those for definite as my friend holds offers for all 4, she takes physics, chemistry maths and further maths.

Thanks that's great news for me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by indigoheart
i have a friend with an offer for liverpool and she got AABC at AS- B in chemistry and C in maths.
anything is possible!

Aha cheers I'm feelin much more confident bout the whole thing now

Quick Reply

Latest